VAR. | Vital Football

VAR.

vinniecopenhagen

Vital Football Hero
Just watching France v Wales, fingers in the eye by the French player. Ref gives the French player a red card.He explains his decision and we accept the decision because he has explained it. Why the Fuck can't we do this in the Prem, with the ridiculous VAR decisions, again and again.

Last edited:
Just watching France v Wales, fingers in the eye by the French player. Ref gives the French player a red card.He explains his decision and we accept the decision because he has explained it. Why the Fuck can't we do this in the Prem, with the ridiculous VAR decisions, again and again.
I don’t watch Rugby , Vinnie, but our authorities could take on a lot from that sport .
Player goes down injured , allow the physio on and let the game continue .
Allow us to hear what the ref is saying to the players .
Accept the code of conduct from the players to the ref .
Allow subs to be made during play ,
Make free kicks to be free kicks . We have free kicks that give the advantage to the offending team ! What is that all about .
We should also make our refs accountable by explaining their decisions, it may not always be correct , but if they came out and said. “‘Well I did this and that because that is what I thought I saw“...... I’m sure we would all accept that .
None of us are perfect , we all make mistakes ,

I don’t watch Rugby , Vinnie, but our authorities could take on a lot from that sport .
Player goes down injured , allow the physio on and let the game continue .
Allow us to hear what the ref is saying to the players .
Accept the code of conduct from the players to the ref .
Allow subs to be made during play ,
Make free kicks to be free kicks . We have free kicks that give the advantage to the offending team ! What is that all about .
We should also make our refs accountable by explaining their decisions, it may not always be correct , but if they came out and said. “‘Well I did this and that because that is what I thought I saw“...... I’m sure we would all accept that .
None of us are perfect , we all make mistakes ,
Over the week end I watched a couple of Rugby games, was impressed with the 3rd VAR ref, who pointed out incidents that the Match Ref had missed, whether it was off the ball/trouble seeing or what ever, excellent, even the TV commentator Ex England player gave her 5 stars rating in one game in particular, Sale Sharks v Wasps, Sale had 4 players sin binned, Yellow card, in 20 mins, but give em their dues still won the game, 3 of the Yellows the 3rd ref spotted and pointed out to the Match ref.

When it comes to refs, I think both sports could learn from each other. Obviously, football could learn more in respecting the officials.

The problem with bad rugby refs is that once they have one team's card marked, the biases (conscious and unconscious) can ruin the game. This has been no more prominent that without crowds as you can now hear who the ref is constantly talking to. He'll be getting them to retreat, he'll be watching them like a hawk to see if they drift offside, and he'll notice every time they come in from the side or collapse a scrum. It gets to the point where they are beig massively penalised and the opposition are getting away with it as he's not watching them in the same way. That's when I always encourage rugby fans to give the stick to the ref, because they deserve it.

Then there is the total farce that happend by the French officials in the Eng vs Wls game a few weeks back. Worse than any VAR decision I've seen !!!

When it comes to refs, I think both sports could learn from each other. Obviously, football could learn more in respecting the officials.

The problem with bad rugby refs is that once they have one team's card marked, the biases (conscious and unconscious) can ruin the game. This has been no more prominent that without crowds as you can now hear who the ref is constantly talking to. He'll be getting them to retreat, he'll be watching them like a hawk to see if they drift offside, and he'll notice every time they come in from the side or collapse a scrum. It gets to the point where they are beig massively penalised and the opposition are getting away with it as he's not watching them in the same way. That's when I always encourage rugby fans to give the stick to the ref, because they deserve it.

Then there is the total farce that happend by the French officials in the Eng vs Wls game a few weeks back. Worse than any VAR decision I've seen !!!
To be honest muttley that has opened my eyes, you are right there, I suppose I would be enjoying one of my fave sports and not registering what you pointed out, but now I think about it, you are right.

Eng v Wales spot on there, the French prick even had the Gaul, see that, to admit how wrong he was afterwards, to late then of course.

Now , did I hear this right ,
On sky yesterday, bindippers have the ball on the halfway line , long diagonal ball to Jiotta (? ) who is offside when the ball is kicked , but if the defender alongside him had touched the ball in transit he would have played him onside ?
The bindippers goal was not allowed by VAR and a lot of discussion on it at half time.
Did I hear that right .

I watched a European cup Rugby game yesterday, actually 2 of them, and during, one a ref appologised for a mistaken decision he made after consulting their VAR thingy, I was impressed.
Will it ever happen in Football?

On sky yesterday, bindippers have the ball on the halfway line , long diagonal ball to Jiotta (? ) who is offside when the ball is kicked , but if the defender alongside him had touched the ball in transit he would have played him onside ?
The bindippers goal was not allowed by VAR and a lot of discussion on it at half time.
Did I hear that right .
Walt I heard the same, my feelings are, I was always taught you if you are in an offside position as soon the ball is touched/kicked/passed by one of your oppo's/team mates to you, you are - offside, simple as that.
So I have know idea where this conundrum is going now.

I’ve just read this …… The PL VAR boffins that have done their level best to ruin the game in this country……. Have decided to use wider lines next season , in order to eliminate the nose , toe etc offside decisions . ….
Another one for “the you couldn’t make it up” box .
Why not just make proper decisions !!
It’s just beyond me .

I’ve just read this …… The PL VAR boffins that have done their level best to ruin the game in this country……. Have decided to use wider lines next season , in order to eliminate the nose , toe etc offside decisions . ….
It’s just beyond me .
Just take it from the feet.

The players need to know at any given time if they are in an offside position. It's impossible if all parts of the body are taken into consideration.

If it's taken from the feet only then the players, fans and officials will be able to see it quite clearly and there'll be very little cause for dispute.

The puzzling thing to me , is the amount of time , effort , magical lines , geometry, graphics etc that they use to determine if a player is offside or not , is not co correlated to the actual time the ball is kicked .
If it is so essential to the good of the game……. (:rofl:) then why is the point of impact of the ball and foot never examined microspectively ,(,if that is even a word . !)

And ,, if offside is so important that it has its own place in the football world , why is offside only managed like this when a goal is scored .
There have been times when a player, who was easily seen to be offside , has won a corner from his efforts and a goal has been scored from that corner .

Did I hear that right .
Similar to this scenario above , was the Belgian goal scored by Lukaku against Russia last night .
Lukaku is the only attacker in the box and is six foot offside as the cross comes in , but the ball gets touched by a defender and plays him onside.
Really!!!!!
So the laws of the game have changed ?

When the ball is kicked , he is offside .
How does he become onside because a defender touches the ball .
If the ball had landed at his feet , he is clearly six foot offside , and the goalkeeper rushes out , dives for the ball and touches the ball microseconds before before he does , pushes the ball onto , say , his knee and it goes into the net …… that makes him onside ?
Really ?
I don’t get it !

It’s just beyond me .

If he’s beyond you Walt he just has to be offside! No lines needed!

Effective use of Var at Euros has shown how messy it has become in the Premier League
If we reach a position where we cannot reach these standards with our own referees, the Premier League should consider hiring from Europe

Keith Hackett 16 June 2021 • 5:16pm
Keith-Hackett-small.png

TELEMMGLPICT000261510250_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQf0Rf_Wk3V23H2268P_XkPxc.jpeg

We have allowed the technology to take over in the Premier League Credit: REUTERS

So far in Euro 2020, the Var system has worked far more efficiently than we have seen in the Premier League. Uefa has shown clear leadership with the referees, who know what is expected of them when it comes to using video technology in this tournament.
The first criteria is that Var should only interfere when it comes to “clear and obvious” errors, and that is evidently how the referees are operating in this tournament. They are sticking to this instruction and we have not seen the same interference that we have grown used to in the English game.
The referees at Euro 2020 are all managed effectively and are measured by their performance. After matches, discussions take place where their actions and decisions are reviewed.
The success of the Var system in these first few games shows how much of a mess it has become in the Premier League, where we have allowed the technology to take over. The whole system in the league has become a mess.
What I am seeing in this tournament so far is what I have been seeing in other countries for the last few years: a limited amount of involvement of Var.
In the Premier League, it seems that Var has provided a safety net for referees. It is a comfort for them, and this means the referees have become lazy in their decision-making. It is as if it does not matter what they decide in the crucial moments as they think that Var will get them out of any problems that might arise.
This tournament has therefore provided an important lesson for the Premier League. If we reach a position where we can’t reach these standards with our own referees, then the Premier League should consider hiring referees from Europe. We bring players in, so why can’t we bring in referees? They could stimulate better performances from our officials.
It seems that the referees at the European Championship have been deliberately allowing the matches to breathe, showing an allowance and tolerance on challenges. This is an approach that we became used to in England, with the likes of Howard Webb and Mark Clattenburg. Now it is our turn to learn from European referees, starting with their approach to Var.

Good ref that Keef ‘Ackett!

Did anyone notice how protracted the VAR decision making took when Stuart Attwell and Anthony Taylor took yesterday’s game.

The offside decision for Arnautevic’s “goal” was patently obvious but still took three minutes .

VAR hasn't been that great really at the Euros in my opinion.
How can you have VAR deciding major decisions but not show the viewer any info about what is going on? There is zero reason why we can't see what VAR is looking at.
The 2nd problem is "clear and obvious" before things can be overturned. Why not just make sure that the right decision is made.
3rd is allowing those 2 red cards for Wales to stand. The 2nd one in particular was an utterly dreadful decision, yet was still allowed to stand.
Plus, as Walt says, the time taken for offside decisions is ridiculous. Drawing 2 lines is not a complicated task.