VAR & penalties | Vital Football

VAR & penalties

Skoorb

Alert Team
The Women's WC has seen it's share of controversy with penalties being ordered to be retaken after the goalkeepers have been judged to have moved their feet off the goal line before the kick is taken.

The PL gave confirmed that VAR will not be used to make these judgements when the technology is introduced into the league next season. They will rely on the "on field officials" to make this determination. I wish them luck with that - I cannot recall the last time a penalty was ordered to be retaken because a keeper had moved off the line when facing a penalty.

So ........given that they are really only now enforcing the existing law is this a good thing it a bad thing?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48703852

Last edited:
It is wrong to have it differently for different competitions. If it's not used for goalies' position in the PL it should be not be used for the women's game.
Women goalkeepers are bad enough as it is without making it even harder for them.

You haven’t seen the worst of it......check mouth my latest thread on the. CAF Champions League Final.

FIFA need to get a grip........

My gut feeling is that it's not so much VAR and its use that's the problem, it is that the standard of women's refereeing is even worse than the men's.

:throw: Phew. Glad you said that rather than one of us reconstructed, antediluvian males.

This may well be so but certainly not something you would hear expressed by any of the commentators or pundits covering the tournament and certainly not any of the males. He would have been eviscerated had he dared to pass any such judgement.

And this harks back to a comment I posted early doors about the tournament - fantastic to see the tournament getting wide coverage, wonderful to see women’s football improving but there is ‘conspiracy of silence’ when it comes to comments onwayward passes, poor tackling, awful marking etc. It doesn’t exist but if it was witnessed in a PL or Championship match they would call out the players.

The equalising goal scored by Australia last evening vs Norway - the ball went straight in from a corner past three Norwegian defenders and their keeper. Much excitement about who took the corner, did it get a flick at the near post (no) ......but I heard zero comment about how poorly the Norwegian players defended a routine event. The ball was played in at knee height - basic defending would/should have dealt with it. But to criticise seems to be off the radar for commentary teams. Doesn’t seem like a level playing field to me - praise some of the excellent skills demonstrated, fine interceptions, good passing.......but also comment when the ball is hoofed anywhere or possession is needlessly or carelessly conceded in a way that an U16’s match would draw comment.

:rant:

If FIFA are the World body, then the rules must be the same regradless of which comp or gender, otherwise why have a World body to begin with.

:throw: Phew. Glad you said that rather than one of us reconstructed, antediluvian males.

This may well be so but certainly not something you would hear expressed by any of the commentators or pundits covering the tournament and certainly not any of the males. He would have been eviscerated had he dared to pass any such judgement.

And this harks back to a comment I posted early doors about the tournament - fantastic to see the tournament getting wide coverage, wonderful to see women’s football improving but there is ‘conspiracy of silence’ when it comes to comments onwayward passes, poor tackling, awful marking etc. It doesn’t exist but if it was witnessed in a PL or Championship match they would call out the players.

The equalising goal scored by Australia last evening vs Norway - the ball went straight in from a corner past three Norwegian defenders and their keeper. Much excitement about who took the corner, did it get a flick at the near post (no) ......but I heard zero comment about how poorly the Norwegian players defended a routine event. The ball was played in at knee height - basic defending would/should have dealt with it. But to criticise seems to be off the radar for commentary teams. Doesn’t seem like a level playing field to me - praise some of the excellent skills demonstrated, fine interceptions, good passing.......but also comment when the ball is hoofed anywhere or possession is needlessly or carelessly conceded in a way that an U16’s match would draw comment.

:rant:

Happy to report that RTE punditry tore Norway apart for this shambles but then pundits on RTE tend to have more free rein in what they say, they're not tied to the broadcaster's agenda as much as pundits on UK TV are.

Good to hear. Sometimes it seems that equality is a one way street. The BBC has set it's stall out ("No words of criticism ever") and no one shall stray from "the path".

The tame way in which the reactions of the Camaroon players was reported was another marker. My benchmark is "how would that be reported if it were a men's team" and I doubt if the word 'emotion' would have featured so prominently (yes you, Hope Solo) plus their would, I suspect, have been less sympathy for the mass huddle delaying the restart it the hysterical pitchside remonstrating that went on.