VAR - general thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

VAR - general thread

Yes. They have now admitted they were full of sh*t when they said earlier in the season that referees were not told they could not use the monitors. They said they "discouraged the use of monitors as they thought it might take too long" (or similar). What utter horsesh*t.

I am pretty certain that had they permitted access throughout the season we would have seen different outcomes e.g. the failure to award a penalty when Vertonghen tripped Delefeou three times.

More bent than a nine bob note.

Bit of a struggle to see the PL figures but if I read it right (32%) overturned? Compared to the other leagues it is a dreadful indictment of the implementation of the system. It proves that in the PL the focus was not on ensuring the correct decision was arrived at, it was about not undermining the on field referee. These stats deserve greater visibility when the time is right.

Shambles.

Bit of a struggle to see the PL figures but if I read it right (32%) overturned? Compared to the other leagues it is a dreadful indictment of the implementation of the system. It proves that in the PL the focus was not on ensuring the correct decision was arrived at, it was about not undermining the on field referee. These stats deserve greater visibility when the time is right.

Shambles.

Yep, it's 32%. I agree entirely with your assessment.

Also almost 3 times more decisions reviewed than the other leagues, so much for 'clear and obvious'.

This is typical of English authority, despite what's proven to work in other countries there's a 'we know best' attitude that prevails.

Yep, it's 32%. I agree entirely with your assessment.

Also almost 3 times more decisions reviewed than the other leagues, so much for 'clear and obvious'.

This is typical of English authority, despite what's proven to work in other countries there's a 'we know best' attitude that prevails.

Absolutely spot on. It reeks of an arrogance and the discrepancy in the data between the PL and several other European leagues presents Stark and incontrovertible proof that the PGMOL are the ones out of step and incorrectly using the technology. It confirms they view it as a threat and not a means of support to be used to arrive at the correct decision. It is a direct reflection of Mike Riley's patronising 'we know better than you and Johnny Foreigner' attitude....

This really does need highlighting - perhaps Martin Samuel could pick it up!