Van Dyke? | Vital Football

Van Dyke?

VitalFootballAdmin

Vital Squad Member
Staff member
Just a thought and I am wondering what all of your opinions are on this...

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?7523240">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

spurticus87 sent us the following:

Just a thought and I am wondering what all of your opinions are on this...

If a player wants to go, they go! You only have to look at Figo going from Barcelona to Real Madrid to appreciate that every club in the world is a selling club... So, if Manchester United have turned Dier's head (hypothetically of course), how would you all feel about signing Virgil Van Dyke before any sale of Dier was commissioned?

Van Dyke is arguably a better defender and ball player whilst Dier is English and offers more versatility and flexibility in where he can play. Do you think that having Van Dyke as part of a back three with Toby and Jan would improve our starting XI?

All hypothetical of course for obvious reasons, but I feel it may actually be one of the few signings out there that improved our starting XI.

I'm still quite confused by what our best formation is, are we going to start the season with a back 3/5 or a back 4?

If we plan on playing 3 CB's then surely a decent CB needs to be signed as well as having Dier.

Our formation keeps evolving each season, but it is always centred around the Bielsa approach. Next season we could end up playing 4-3-3. We might start the season playing 3 at the back but as the season progresses Poch may discover that that formation isn't as successful as last season - then we adapt.

It's why keeping Dier is so important. For me, he's irreplaceable at the moment because of his versatility. Some on here might not think he's as good at CB as he is at DM, of which I agree, but it is very unlikely that we will sign a player who is as good as him at playing both positions (and RB). His versatility is key to our overall ability to adapt formation if needed. Poch and Levy are also incredibly confident that Dier will not make a fuss to engineer a move. If Poch had any feeling that he would try it on he wouldn't be with the squad in the US right now, in the same way Walker was very much shunned towards the end of the season.

Crazy money for a position we're pretty solid in already. We've limited budget, spend elsewhere