Value Our Squad | Vital Football

Value Our Squad

DeanoVilla

One Bloody Number
Just for fun, what would you realistically value our players at in the current market?

I'll start.

Tom Heaton - £8 million
Jed Steer - £7 million
Orjan Nyland - £3 million
Lovre Kalanic - £4 million

Frederic Guilbert - £12 million
Ahmed Elmohamady - £4 million
Tyrone Mings - £55 million
Bjorn Engles - £18 million
Ezri Konsa - £10 million
Kortney Hause - £3 million
Neil Taylor - £4 million
Matt Targett - £12 million

Trezeguet - £12 million
Anwar El Ghazi - £12 million
Jota - £5 million
Douglas Luiz - £15 million
Marvelous Nakamba - £18 million
John McGinn - £90 million
Jack Grealish - £55 million
Conor Hourihane - £12 million
Henri Lansbury - £3 million

Wesley - £20 million
Jonathan Kodjia - £8 million
Kienan Davis - £6 million

Grand Total £396 million.

When you consider the new owners paid £65 million for the club a year ago that's pretty nuts.

Fingers crossed they are serious and we don't become a selling club. If we can grow this lot and start challenging for things then the values of a lot of those players could skyrocket further.

NGolo Kante for instance went for £32 million a few years back, so you'd got to imagine the potential is there for both Luiz and Nakamba to be worth £40 million+

Wesley... if he finds his feet and scores regulalry... well the price for a goalscorer in this division can be anything. He could easily be worth £70 million+ if he kicks on.

Engles price will no doubt go up once everyone else realises how good he is. Same with both full backs. And Grealish should be in the McGinn bracket if he can add goals to his game.

Exciting times.

Just for fun, what would you realistically value our players at in the current market?

I'll start.

Tom Heaton - £8 million
Jed Steer - £7 million
Lovre Kalanic - £4 million

Frederic Guilbert - £12 million
Tyrone Mings - £55 million
Bjorn Engles - £18 million
Ezri Konsa - £10 million
Kortney Hause - £3 million
Neil Taylor - £4 million

Trezeguet - £12 million
Anwar El Ghazi - £12 million
Jota - £5 million
Douglas Luiz - £15 million
John McGinn - £90 million
Jack Grealish - £55 million
Conor Hourihane - £12 million

Wesley - £20 million
Jonathan Kodjia - £8 million
Kienan Davis - £6 million

Grand Total £396 million.

When you consider the new owners paid £65 million for the club a year ago that's pretty nuts.

Fingers crossed they are serious and we don't become a selling club. If we can grow this lot and start challenging for things then the values of a lot of those players could skyrocket further.

NGolo Kante for instance went for £32 million a few years back, so you'd got to imagine the potential is there for both Luiz and Nakamba to be worth £40 million+

Wesley... if he finds his feet and scores regulalry... well the price for a goalscorer in this division can be anything. He could easily be worth £70 million+ if he kicks on.

Engles price will no doubt go up once everyone else realises how good he is. Same with both full backs. And Grealish should be in the McGinn bracket if he can add goals to his game.

Exciting times.

What strikes me is that is a million miles away from when we signed the likes of Tonev and Helenius for peanuts and probably lost money on them.

As it stands I think a majority of the players we signed in the summer have already increased in value.

Tom Heaton - £5 million
Jed Steer - £5 million
Orjan Nyland - Free
Lovre Kalanic - Free

Frederic Guilbert - £8 million
Ahmed Elmohamady - £3 million
Tyrone Mings - £40 million
Bjorn Engles - £14 million
Ezri Konsa - £8 million
Kortney Hause - £4 million
Neil Taylor - Free
Matt Targett - £10 million

Trezeguet - £10 million
Anwar El Ghazi - £10 million
Jota - £4 million
Douglas Luiz - £25 million
Marvelous Nakamba - £20 million
John McGinn - £60 million
Jack Grealish - £65 million
Conor Hourihane - £8 million
Henri Lansbury - Free

Wesley - £30 million
Jonathan Kodjia - £5 million
Kienan Davis - £5 million

It's tricky to value players these days. It can be difficult to sell a player who you don't want but their value goes through the roof when other clubs want them. We let all of those players go last summer for free. We couldn't even get a fee for Albert.

Last edited:
It's tricky to value players these days. It can be difficult to sell a player who you don't want bit their value goes through the roof when other clubs want them. We let all of those players go last summer for free. We couldn't even get a fee for Albert.
Agree with this, I don’t think there is a standard logic anymore on player values, it seems to just be driven by how much the buying team wants the player and what they are prepared to pay, and how much the selling team wants to keep them and how much they are prepared to accept.

5-10 years ago it was a bit more structured you might have said a good defender is worth £10m, a good attacker is worth £25m (excluding world class elite players), but now it could be absolutely anything for any player. Seems like each transfer has it’s own path.

Tom Heaton - £6 million
Jed Steer - £5 million
Orjan Nyland - Free
Lovre Kalanic - Free

Frederic Guilbert - £8 million
Ahmed Elmohamady - £2 million
Tyrone Mings - £60 million
Bjorn Engles - £20 million
Ezri Konsa - £5 million
Kortney Hause - £2 million
Neil Taylor - £1 million
Matt Targett - £10 million

Trezeguet - £15 million
Anwar El Ghazi - £10 million
Jota - £4 million
Douglas Luiz - £25 million
Marvelous Nakamba - £25 million
John McGinn - £80 million
Jack Grealish - £75 million
Conor Hourihane - £8 million
Henri Lansbury - Free

Wesley - £12 million
Jonathan Kodjia - £5 million
Kienan Davis - £5 million

Much as I love them both to bits, I do think the valuations for the Supers are a tad on the high side.

I'm sure we could ask for that kind of money, but whether anyone would be prepared to pay it after a handful of PL games, I'm not too sure.

Super Jack isn't even an international yet.

Much as I love them both to bits, I do think the valuations for the Supers are a tad on the high side.

I'm sure we could ask for that kind of money, but whether anyone would be prepared to pay it after a handful of PL games, I'm not too sure.

Super Jack isn't even an international yet.

Neither was Joleon Lescott and Man City paid 25 million for him a decade ago. Jack's our most valuable player purely because he's English, he's got that celebrity-esque persobality/David Beckham quality and he's a very good footballer.

McGinn is our best player though and 60m would be a steal if you consider Fred was 35m.

Neither was Joleon Lescott and Man City paid 25 million for him a decade ago. Jack's our most valuable player purely because he's English, he's got that celebrity-esque persobality/David Beckham quality and he's a very good footballer.

McGinn is our best player though and 60m would be a steal if you consider Fred was 35m.

Fred was £52 million unbelievably.

Tom Heaton - £10 million
Jed Steer - £8 million
Lovre Kalanic - £5 million

Frederic Guilbert - £16 million
Tyrone Mings - £60 million
Bjorn Engles - £20 million
Ezri Konsa - £12 million
Kortney Hause - £6 million
Neil Taylor - £2.5 million

Trezeguet - £15 million
Anwar El Ghazi - £15 million
Jota - £7 million
Douglas Luiz - £18 million
John McGinn - £75 million
Jack Grealish - £60 million
Conor Hourihane - £18 million

Wesley - £25 million
Jonathan Kodjia - £10 million
Kienan Davis - £8 million

Taylor's worth more than that quoted to us, because he and Targett are our only two LBs.

There may be moves in and out in January and the summer, but I think the owners will only spend on players who are an improvement over what we have, and they won't go mad. I reckon all the players in the squad are worth being in the squad, until we bring in somebody better, and for that reason think nobody is worth less than £5m.

What I think is interesting is that almost everyone we bought last summer is worth more than when purchased; that does suggest we have someone who has good judgment making the decisions.

The worth of a couple of players like Mings & Engels will increase in line with them getting international caps. With the age of the current Belgian central defenders I can envisage Engels getting called up. Mings did well first time out and could become the main man for England.
Can Freddy get into the French squad?
Wesley is still a mystery to me. 4 goals and an assist in 8 matches is success but he doesn't look the part. A bit like El Ghazi with 2 goals & 4 assists in 8 games but .....

To me, this team is priceless. After years and years of a downward trajectory, having a couple of false dawns, a relegation and a flirtation with bankruptcy, this team is young, energetic and together. Not even MasterCard can buy that.

They are worth what anybody wants to pay and we except. Stay in this league and they will be worth more than if we are relegated .slmples

Stating the obvious but players like Koja who I believe is in his last year of the contract is not going for £10m in Jan.
Other players will walk away for nothing too.
The older players are going down in value with their contracts, we haven't managed to get a fee for many of our players in the last few years, all too high wages and championship level.
I think we are getting a bit carried away here, our lesser players couldn't get a game in the championship, imagine their wages to a championship side then do the maths.
No Premier League teams are going to be in for Lansbury Koj Chester Taylor Elmo Steer or even my mate Hourihane They will all go on free's at the end of their contracts.
We aren't Liverpool or Chelseas flogging reserve kids for £20m our kids go free after loans to lower leagues, that is the level we are at.

We buy high and sell low, this will eventually change but currently, that's still where we are.
McGinn Jack and Tyrone are priceless to us but they are not for sale anyway and the best bit is we don't have to sell anyone.

I'm afraid I don't play computer games where every player has a value based on his stats.