v. the Tange | Page 5 | Vital Football

v. the Tange

Great counter attacking play, Stokes with a long pass to GMS who finds MacGregor in the D. A little dance, a nice finish and it's 3-1!

A very nice 3-1 win today from a team that had a lot of subs. Even Gordon got a rest. We didn't have to run Brown, Johanson, VvD, Boyata, Armstrong or Bitton and still dominant.

We got a look at Allan and he seems very quick! Janko looked good, Griffiths scored again. Great job! O'Connell looked very good in central defense.

Only got to see some of the game but watching it back at the moment.

Was glad in some ways to see so many changes because I think we needed to make them. Why Izzy continued at LB I'm not sure. Griffiths was given the option of a rest but turned it down as he was looking to make an impact in front of Gordon Strachan to earn a play in the Scotland team, fair enough!

Stokes was disappointing, given that he has something to prove to stick around here, he really didn't look up for it! I think he could have done far better! His heart doesn't look in it anymore!

We got a good look at Janko, he had a mixed afternoon! He looked good going forward but was worrying in defence at times, Deila said the same thing after the game, he's got some learning to do on his positioning and his fitness.
Ambrose actually did OK, penalty aside of course!
O'Connell, first time we've seen him even involved in the first team for a while but he looked really composed and comfortable most of the time. Very promising performance! Hopefully we'll get to see more of him over the season!
Rogic and Mulgrew seemed to be on top of each other a little too much I thought, they needed to spread out when we had possession. Saying that I though both did relatively well, particularly Rogic who was essentially playing out of position!
Griffiths was good as usual!
Commons did well but I don't think he'll have played himself into starting in Malmo.
GMS didn't do much I didn't think, his form seems to have dipped a little.

McGregor came on and I thought he did quite well. Again for most of his time on the pitch he played out of position but showed some good touches and took his goal well.
Allan came on and actually looked really good. Creative and positive going forward, I'd almost say he's a Commons replacement, I think that's who I'd compare him to most!
Thomson came on for a bit as well, a really good opportunity for the young midfielder and I thought he did well, showed he can be depended on at this level. Not for a full game by any means but as a sub he can do the job! Looks like he could be a good future midfielder for us though! He's got a bit of power and tenacity and just needs to work on his positioning and fitness levels and the rest will just come with experience!

I agree with Sutton though, I don't think anyone played there way into contention for a start in Malmo. Ambrose will be at RB in place of Lustig as I still don't think he'll make it. I don't think Janko did enough to get a start. Mulgrew and Commons will be on the bench again.

Friday night game this week.

Craig Gordon and Nadir Ciftci are both back from their Scottish Cup bans while Boyata and Armstrong are back from injury.
So who starts?

I think we'll go with:

Gordon
Lustig - Ambrose/O'Connell/Boyata - Simunovic - Tierney
Bitton - Johansen
Forrest - Rogic - McGregor
Griffiths

Subs: Bailly, O'Connell/Boyata/Ambrose, Izzy/Blackett, Armstrong, Commons, Cole, Ciftci

I doubt we will throw Boyata or Armstrong straight back in, it depends how much confidence Deila has in Ambrose. O'Connell is back fit again and will need some game time, even if it's just to show him off for prospective clubs to take him on loan. However I can't see Deila starting O'Connell either.

With our next game on Tuesday, Deila will need to use the squad over these 2 games so we don't struggle with tiredness and don't risk more injury. So if Tierney plays against Utd on Friday, I wouldn't expect him to start on Tuesday night. Or he'll be subbed after about 65 mins which is why either Izzy or Blackett will be on the bench.

Lineup is:

Craig Gordon 1
Mikael Lustig 23
Jozo Šimunovic 5
Efe Ambrose 4
Tom Rogic 18
Stuart Armstrong 14
Stefan Johansen 25
Kris Commons 15
Kieran Tierney 63
Callum McGregor 42
Leigh Griffiths 9

Simmo scores off a bullet of a header to make it 2-0. Griffiths' 50th was a great finish, as well.

Lots of great action in the first half with both sides going hard at it. We seemed to be cruising until shoddy defending and matador goal keeping led to DU pulling one back.

'Mon the Hoops!

Missed goal No. 3 but a spectacular goal from Commons makes it 4-1! Great pass from Armstrong, who is having a great game.

I wasn't able to watch on Friday night but I recorded the game and watched it earlier. Great team performance. Couldn't fault anyone! Yes we were playing against bottom of the table Dundee Utd, but they didn't look like a bottom of the table side for the most part.

Good goals from Griff! Commons' was a delight, who knew he could get his leg that high??? Haha! Simunovic's header was well worked and he did well with it.

Rogic was a delight to watch! Armstrong, despite only just back from injury looked fantastic and Ambrose.....well that's the sort of performance that makes you think that actually he can be a quality defender and you can see why he has so many international caps! Cutting out the mistakes from his game and keeping it simple, getting his positioning right and he is a very good defender!

I think Ambrose may have learned something. A lot of his big gaffes happen because he tries to do something fancy that is beyond his ability, like head to the keeper at close range in a tight defensive situation. He has now become a no nonsense defender, blasting balls out of play instead of trying to make something happen. When he sticks to basics, he is pretty good and his work rate is excellent. His effort on the pitch is second only to Brown and Griffiths.

By the way, watched the last 10 minutes of Aberdeen against Ross County. The sheep were lucky to escape with that win.

Another note. Supporters of other SPL teams always whine that Celtic gets everything, has all the money, blah, blah. Their stadium was mostly empty. Maybe more Dons support than Ross County. So when they complain, maybe they should support their own clubs.

You're right welch and he said as much when interviewed last week. Apparently Deila basically told him straight that what he was doing wasn't good enough and that if he wanted to get back in the team he needed to cut out the errors. He took the message seriously and now that he's back in the team he's able to show what he's learned. If he can keep this up then I think we'd all be very happy to have him in at CB.

Saying that, we've just signed Erik Sviatchenko, I expect him to become a first choice CB pretty quickly. He's good! He usually plays on the left of the CBs, whether that suits Simunovic better to switch him to the right I don't know but that could be our future pairing. Either that or Deila wants to have Simunovic and Sviatchenko fighting it out for the LCB spot and then have Boyata and Ambrose both for the the RCB spot.

Yes Aberdeen were fortunate! However, County were frustrating as they didn't look like they knew what to do with the ball to get a goal and get the draw or win!

I get your point welch, opposition fans moaning is nothing new. I can remember it back when Oldco were still around battling with us for the title. Things didn't seem to go our way. However the biggest problem for all other clubs in Scotland is a lack of fans attending games! Hearts have done tremendously well to bring their supporter numbers back up! It comes with success and hope! This time of year is always difficult as well, it's cold, wet and sometimes snowy and icy......fans don't want to travel away for games in those conditions....sometimes they don't even want to go to the home games in those conditions! Haha. It is a serious problem though and it's what is holding Scottish football back!

Honestly, I lay the same charge at our support. They only come out for European competition and the big league games.

I think Sviatchenko will start over Boyata and Ambrose is cover, as well. To be honest, I think Efe could take time from Lustig. He has been mediocre at best this year. We're a very left-sided team because Tierney is so dynamic and Armstrong is good on the left. Lustig and any right-sided midfielder have been a weak spot.

Latest Celtic News