v. The Sheep | Page 2 | Vital Football

v. The Sheep

Overall, an excellent game. Tierney was terrific again and Simunovic looks class. Rogic was my Man of the Match. He has been terrific in all aspects of his game and created two of the three goals. Dare I say, he has brought more than Brown during this stretch. I wonder if Broony has been laboring with some injury and fighting through it.

The attack looked good, though Aberdeen played a high line which gave us space. We don't often see that. They left space behind the defense and let Griffiths run at them. The only issue was the left-sided advance. We had nothing from the right. Lustig seemed off the boil and Johanson was a bit anonymous.

Hey, great match and 7 point clear! Hail Hail.

FT 3-1

Missed most of that and all of the goals (apart from the effin sheep one!) So can't really make many observations on the overall performance. From what I did see, Tierney once again looked like he's heading to the very top.

Top by 7 points now. In a real league. With no part timers. No brickies. No bakers. No taxi drivers. No pub teams.

Here we go 5-in-a-row!

Grim reaper heading in the direction of a new club...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Well,first half has passed and it's predicatable big-game fodder. Dominant in possession for at least 30 minutes, but few clear-cut chances. The sucker punched on an outside shot and lose another on a corner kick.Who was defending right in front of Gordon on the goal? Leigh Griffiths. I didn't realize he was a great defender.

Down 2-0. A draw would be a smashing result at this point.

SHITE! That is all that can be said. That performance, not just the result makes me doubt Ronny and I've been one for giving him time......I'm running out of patience!

Big questions have to be asked at playing 9 who started and played the majority of the game at the weekend. 10 when you consider that Sviatchenko played the majority but then McGregor was subbed off to make way. The players looked tired on another crap pitch and we were second best at everything tonight. Aberdeen had a game plan, we changed at HT and it was working, so McInnes made a change as well and nullified CKR. Deila didn't have an answer after that.........

Too many questions that we thought might have been going away are coming up again! Ex Celtic striker Andy Walker in the Sky Sports studio after the game asked if a new manager is required to guarantee the league this season....his answer - "if it was up to me I'd make the change tomorrow!" I think a lot of fans are feeling the same way after that!

If we suffer a shock defeat to East Kilbride in the cup at the weekend, Deila is done! There will be no coming back from that!

I just want to suggest a different starting team to what we saw last night (OK it's easier with hindsight but still should have been obvious enough to them being out on the pitch last night before the game).

Gordon
Lustig - Boyata - Svatchenko - Izzy
Forrest - Brown - Bitton - McGregor
Cole - Griffiths

Subs: Bailly, CKR, Armstrong, GMS, Tierney, Allan, Ambrose

Instead we had GMS on from the start after he played the full game against Ross County, he played the full game last night as well....
Griffiths started up front again on his own and once again played the full game, at least if Carlton Cole was on there with him they would share the workload. We don't have another fit RB who can give Lustig a break unless we use Ambrose as a RB, I think that was a mistake in January not getting some more cover! I still think Janko could be a good player but we need cover and to be able to give him a break. Even call Fisher back from his loan!
Tierney did well last night but it was all very defensive, he didn't look comfortable to take the ball down and go forward with it. He looked scared of making a mistake and being at fault so he just hoofed the ball forward a lot. I think Izzy would have come in there and been desperate to make a point and put in a very good performance.

That aside, the tactics were awful. Brown and Bitton allowed far too much space in CM by being drawn to the same ball and player and leaving big gaps. The CBs are constantly being dragged out wide to cover for the fullbacks because the fullbacks aren't getting the support from the wingers that they need. We were trying to play quick short passes on a pitch that didn't allow it. Aberdeen sat deep and then pounced when we got half way insider their half. That should have allowed for space in behind because the CBs were coming forward, but because we couldn't win the physical battles against the CBs, that didn't happen!

The system, formation and tactics let us down last night! The marking at the second goal from the corner was awful and reminiscent of our defending in Europe a lot this season!

Everyone sits deep and pounces. We play such an incredibly high line that no defender can get back, get position and make something happen. Our defending is a complete shit rush. Try being a big CB and defending an attacking player with good footwork after you just sprinted 40 yards to get back. Everyone know Ronny won't change.

Managers always say they have backing. Boards always say they back the manager until the day they fire them. No one can every publicly say that a manager is under the gun or the team descends into complete chaos, as opposed to the current state of near-complete chaos. I think his days are numbered.

Why do I think that? No CL money. Attendance is down. No League Cup money and now the SPFL Championship cash is on the line. One of his more pricey signings, Cifti, has been an unmitigated failure. Deila's cock ups are now hitting Desmond and the board where they actually feel it. The income statement.

Remember, as inept as this board is at managing risk and reward, Desmond did step in when Mowbray was screwing it all up. First, he brought in Robbie (who we could use right now) and then he canned Mogga. I think something will happen fairly soon.

I think, unless things take a further dramatic turn for the worse, Deila is here until the end of the season. We didn't make the mistake of signing him on a long contract, I think he's on the 1 year rolling contract that Lennon was on and Strachan was on too. We got burned when we went off that with Mowbray. I believe Deila's contract is up in the summer and it is probably the idea of the board that to save a bit of cash on compensation, they can just let him carry on until the summer and then just not give him a new deal!

I've looked at the stats for Deila.
101 games in charge, averaging 2.11 points per match.
Win % = 52.1%
Draw % = 19.2%
Loss % = 28.7%

If we compare that to Lennon - in charge of 227 games averaging 2.23 points per match.
Win % = 59.1%
Draw % = 17.8%
Loss % = 23.2%
These percentages are including his awful time at Bolton where he is averaging just over 1 point per match. That means he's losing and drawing more games than winning at Bolton, which is therefore bringing his win % down!

So while the points per match difference is very small, it seems Lennon has still managed a far superior win % than Deila.

It's not even really about the results though, or at least not domestically. In Europe the results haven't been good enough, that's obvious! The problem more than anything is the way we lose. The Ross County game we were done by a dodgy referee, the players still tried and fought but against Aberdeen, there was simply just no spark to the team at all! It was a lifeless performance and that's the disappointing thing.
That wasn't simply down to the players though, that was down to poor tactical management!

If those percentages include Lennon's time at Bolton, then Lenny is a far superior manager. Lennon also had a good run in Europe. His recruits sold on for big money. Comparing Lennon to Deila is like comparing Strachan to Mowbray, except that Deil has had far more time to prove himself. He's awful.

It is the way we lose. We play the same formation and tactics every week. The road map to beat this team was drawn long ago. Jesus, it's on the men's room wall at Celtic Park. He. Must. Go.

That's EXACTLY it welch, it's the way we lose! We lose with a whimper! There's no real fight or losing by an unlucky goal or something. If we're beaten there we're well beaten. If we win then we can sometimes win comfortably but more often than not it's a bit nervy.

Yesterday against East Kilbride, who remember are a Lowland League part-time club, we won 2-0 but it wasn't comfortable really. Only 1-0 at HT and the Celtic fans booed the team off. The second goal came after 6 minutes of the second half but that's how it finished. That's not impressive!
Deila did change things and went with a 4-4-2 but it made little difference! He also admitted after the game that if they had lost, it would have been all but over for him!

I actually thought that win was comfortable. East Kilbride loaded the box and defended and never really threatened. It wasn't a big thrashing, but I never thought there was a chance we'd lose.

Hopefully, Brown's return will energize the team. He has always been a motivating factor as he puts up with no slacking or bullshit. And the team should be very motivated to get back at Ross County. If not, then Deila has lost the dressing room.

ALso, the Sheep go to the Highlands Monday against ICT. Caley Thistle has historically been very tough at home.

Latest Celtic News