V. St. Johnstone | Page 2 | Vital Football

V. St. Johnstone

Man of the Match has to be Cifti with Rogic a close second. Armstrong and Boyata also were quite good! This is a fine win considering we're missing Griffiths, Bitton and Brown and had to suffer Johanson. We created a decent amount of chances and put away three of them. Nice work! :emoticon:14 :emoticon:14 :emoticon:01 :emoticon:04

welch47 - 13/12/2015 14:23

Man of the Match has to be Cifti with Rogic a close second. Armstrong and Boyata also were quite good! This is a fine win considering we're missing Griffiths, Bitton and Brown and had to suffer Johanson. We created a decent amount of chances and put away three of them. Nice work! :emoticon:14 :emoticon:14 :emoticon:01 :emoticon:04

Good performance after a lacklustre start. Dominated the 2nd half.
Ciftci proving he can be decent at this level with two well taken goals.

Cifti may need to be the focus or on a pairing to succeed. How many forwards would succeed in this ridiculous system. After I does at City, but he's Aguero.

Sorry I missed the game today lads but I've just caught up now.

Ciftci looked like a different player than the one we saw on Thursday night! Incredible change! He looked confident, he worked hard for the team and seemed to, for the most part, be on the same wavelength as his team mates. If he plays like that more often we'll all be happy! That's the Ciftci we thought we were signing!

Rogic had another good game, not too many clear opportunities but he got in dangerous positions and was causing problems for the defenders and midfield all day!

The defence have looked far more settled today, still room for improvement. Lustig seemed higher on confidence after his assist on Thursday night and he had one of his best games I've seen for a while!
Gordon the same, he was more commanding and decisive.
Armstrong did OK but nothing really spectacular, same goes for Forrest he carried the ball well and worked hard but had no real joy out wide.
Johansen I thought had a better game than he has had recently, kept things simpler for the majority but still not as good as last season! McGregor in beside him put in another great performance considering it's not really his main position! I can see him moving to CM if he can keep up this development!

I can see why we've been credited with an interest in O'Halloran but I'm not quite convinced he has the ability to really go up a level and if we don't sign players who are going to be capable of scoring in Europe then there's just no point!

I thought Armstprng was quite good as we had more action up the left side. Johanson was a fouling machine. I can't stand him anymore. You're right about Cifti, though. He played with confidence. If you think about it, he has always been a sub or scraping to get in the team. With Griffiths out, he can feature as the main scorer and work with less pressure. This could get him going.

There were a few times Armstrong looked more like himself but he's still not quite hitting the heights we know he can!
Johansen was fouling and I'm not suggesting it was his best performance but it was better than what we've seen for most of this season.
Deila said after Thursday night that if Ciftci is given some love then he will deliver.....perhaps that's not just from the fans but from Deila and his teammates too....Show some faith, increase his confidence and he'll start delivering. We can but hope!

He needed a chance to get out from under Griffiths. With one striker, it's hard to crack the lineup and a lot of pressure. He question now is, what happens when Griffiths comes back? Does Ronny ruin Cifti's momentum by sitting him?

Absolutely....that is the big question! Griffiths was apparently very close to making the game so he will almost certainly be ready for the next game. Very difficult call.

It's a very difficult formation to chop and change with. Better teams than us that use the same formation tend to have better players and players all over the pitch who can score. If we're basically relying on our striker and one or two others, it's not helpful to change the striker and midfielders around a lot. The midfield need to chip in with more goals!
A 4-4-2 system is far easier to change the players with because everyone knows what they're doing in a 4-4-2 and it means that at least one of your strikers should be firing and playing well.
Basically our formation doesn't allow for anyone to be carried in a game, and when we have to carry players is when we struggle or get beaten! In a 4-4-2 formation, you have a little bit of room to carry a player or two.

This very question is also why I don't understand why we'd consider forking out £2.25m on a 22 year old from the German Bundesliga2, who's only played 6 months in the top tier of any country he's played in, never played European football and doesn't even have a great scoring record......in order to develop, he needs to play! And not just 10 minutes or so every game or 2.
If we're seriously looking at this Berggreen lad then we must be wanting to develop him long term but what we really need is someone already at a good level who can come in and kick-on straight away, even with limited game time!

Latest Celtic News