v Palace | Page 4 | Vital Football

v Palace

Poor performance, little penetration, lots of wasted passes. Southampton losing 9-0, whats the betting they beat us this weekend. just thought we were pedestrian.
Fulham pick up points and we will be in real trouble.

I dont think that was a poor performance

Obviously not as good as the weekend but a vast improvement on previous weeks

We weren't going to turn the season around in a week

Never really looked like equalising loads of possession but very laboured going forward. Too many players passing backwards or sideways. It was predictable that we were going to lose half way through the second half. Palace were well organised could and should have scored a third. Simple conclusion is we just weren’t good enough. Southampton will be wanting to put right some of what happened to them at Old Trafford. What better place to visit than SJP to play against a team that keeps on giving away points to most teams who visit there.

Palace keeper was hardly bothered 2nd half. Lots of possession and lots of backward passes with little idea how to penetrate their defence, so in my opinion little to be pleased about. Hopefully the new man will improve matters. Southampon next, a must win, and then a few potential losses.
Bruce confident but then he has been all along. Sleepwalking towards relegation springs to mind one again.

I dont think that was a poor performance

Obviously not as good as the weekend but a vast improvement on previous weeks

We weren't going to turn the season around in a week
It's a matter of context I guess mac

For those who are used to seeing high quality, scintillating football at the SDA, it's poor quality.

Alternatively, those who have suffered retina damage watching penetrating football from the likes of Joselu might well consider 15 shots, half of them on target, some type of progress.

I wonder where the scrutineers of our defense are in this post ?

Why aren't Schars ears burning with hate for letting Cahill wander round the box at will for their 2nd last night

Why aren't Schars ears burning with hate for letting Cahill wander round the box at will for their 2nd last night

To be fair to Schar, the only way he could really have stopped Cahill's excellent run was to block him or foul him. For me the fact that there was space to make the run he did do was maybe down to some other players bad positional play.

To be fair to Schar, the only way he could really have stopped Cahill's excellent run was to block him or foul him. For me the fact that there was space to make the run he did do was maybe down to some other players bad positional play.

no no no mate - its called ball watching or marking shadows apparently

If he was tasked with man marking Cahill, he failed

Last edited:
Numerous pundits and fans saying we are not in trouble but I see it differently. Just because we are currently not in the bottom three does not mean we are safe.
What happens if Wilson gets injured there is no backup other than over the hill and not scoring players like Carroll and Gayle. If Carroll plays then the only tactic is to launch it forward and hope he causes confusion. The defence is shaky at best and the midfield not creative.
I am not expecting class under Ashley but we are very light in quality.
See Jones was banished to the stands at the start, not a Bruce appointment as he maintains.

Schar got blocked off trying to follow Cahill! Now go and wank over your poster of Big Jamal

Reactions: Rza

Didn't watch the game apart from the Palace goals so can’t comment too much. Schär is generally a good and dependable player IMO. His positioning for the Cahill header was dreadful.

The second palace goal was a carbon copy of Wilson's first goal at the weekend, the very same move that nearly brought an earlier dividend in that game. Depending on which way you look at it , palace did well to block off the home defender to free up their scorer or it was poor defending for a move that the team should have been familiar with seeing as it bore them fruit at the weekend. I prefer to say Palace did well to manipulate the home defence.

Southampton may have got thumped last night but on Saturday they will be even more pumped up wanting to get some respect back. I for one am not looking forward to the game. Mind I rarely do these days. On their day Southampton are better than Crystal Palace. We need to get the ball moving faster and close the opposition down quicker. It’s not rocket science really. Oh yes and create chances to score a few goals as well, not too much on the wish list. I would take a scrappy 1-0 having said all that.

Schar got blocked off trying to follow Cahill! Now go and wank over your poster of Big Jamal

Now now - don't get so touchy, I'm not into wanking over blokes thanks

I've seen Lascelles get a mention twice now when we haven't even conceded. I just like a bit of fairness considering we have shipped a shed load of goals when he hasn't been playing but always seems to be responsible for goals conceded when he is - a bit weird don't you think???

So Schar got blocked off did he - maybe he should have been a bit more aware?

Or maybe just shit happens in football and average defenders make the odd error now and again

Awful substitutions in Gayle and Carroll and the side didn't press the same way they did against Everton . Got the early goal and definitely dropped off to protect the lead and cocked it up for the two goals. Look how far Ridewald had to run to get his shot off where's the man on him ? That's basics and if a player isn't doing the job asked of him then they have to be dropped or at least be in fear of being dropped. Schar's at fault on the 2nd goal . Everyone's back for the corner and Cahill's quicker than him with his run along the 6 yard . If Gary Cahill is quicker than you you need to sort your game out.

When Nufc picked up the tempo after half time they looked a bit out of ideas as to how to break Palace down and after a spell reverted to Shelvey picking up the ball off the centre halves and trying hollywood balls in a bloody hoolie the thick sod. Incidentally if you're going to press the whole side needs to do this. I'm sure Shelvey's too fucking lazy to or unfit to and when he's knackered he picks the ball up off the defence. Hayden being a defensive player either doesn't have the nous or the confidence or technical ability to move forward with or without the ball and you're left with the back line with essentially two midfielders sitting in front and a chasm to the forward players, look what happened against Everton as the contrast where Hayden went and pressed up the park and Newcastle got chances out of it. To be fair to Hendrick he's done this pretty well with this against Everton and ok ish against Palace (though if your teammates aren't fully commited to pressing with you you just get played past).

With the subs the side reverted once again to hope Maximin can do summat or the aforementioned Shelvey ball. Still had some chances and definitely a more positive performance than a lot of games but the Everton game set the bar for how well the side can play and they didn't come near enough to it last night .

Agree with most of that KK, in particular Shelvey and his high wind Hollywood balls along with the teams inability to break Palace down once they went into full defensive mode, St Max was the only player who looked capable of doing so.