V Northampton | Page 4 | Vital Football

V Northampton

'Yates gets a round of applause as he is replaced by Fornah. He's been good again tonight. Looks like he's really worked on his passing.'

OK, it's the NEP, but doesn't sound too shabby.
Prob learned a lot from Garner being here and initial impressions seem that he's asked Yates to take on that role in the same way, rather than just tidying up all the time.

No, I'm convinced the squad that we have right now would be relegated.

It's hardly Inspector Poirot.

This team finished on 53 points. It's end of season form was nothing short of shocking and it had the worst goals per game ratio in the club's history.

That squad has lost 12 players, including several that were genuine contributors to what little we did achieve- players without whom we would have gone down.

So yeah, the squad as it stands today is a relegation squad in my mind- no question.

That is why I am increasingly concerned. There is, in my mind, quite a lot to do to make this squad one that can survive. And it needs depth as well; 14 signings last season and the squad still looked wafer thin.

There is a lot to do, and nothing so far has been concluded. Every day goes by makes "a lot to do" a bigger ask

with the youngsters back and those terrible players out the door then we are already a stronger squad with potentially more goals.

manager still in the job, that most of us wanted in the stability sense, we cant say we will be better with a manager here longer and then suggest it will be potentially worse when we do that lol.

changed the transfer clowns and looks like we will make less mistakes in the windows, indeed, we havent already signed 5 players that have no reputation whatsoever.

All seems more positive than it has been during this ownership and it bodes well the way I see it.

but this is pre season pope again, weve seen it time and time again and yet still acts hurt when we call you mr pessimistic

And doesn't IBM live in Canada? So maybe not the best move to invite him to come and see a game.
He's never happy unless we are losing and he can pretend to himself that he understands the game better than whoever's running the club / coaching the team/ setting the tactics / or daring to post something he doesn't like. Poor lad has a massive inferiority complex so don't argue with him or he will have to have a tantrum, the poor bogger.

I see my post has joined Jef Bezos on his rocket going miles above your head
A joke? Maybe you should flag it up.

I share some of your misgivings but by no means all. On paper, we have the players to fill all of the gaps except striker.

As we still have Taylor as well as Grabban, that's covered too - on paper. Time will tell, but I'd hope for a striker signed soon.

Not sure which game, if any, you lot were watching. Yates had a top game and made three eye catching defence cutting passes. This on top of his usual box to box, tackling game. There is a reason the last four managers have picked him before others.

Glad to see Richardson play. Got up and down. He is not a left back but not long ago I said Marty Cash was not a right back.

Gabriel played well and made a great thru ball for opening goal.

Mighten looked very threatening. Fernandes was excellent. Fornah looked comfortable, McK and Worrall had a nice run out as did Lolley. All round a good pre season. Couple of weeks before start of season and longer before the window closes. Building nicely.

Yes you are sooo clever aren't ya? Bloody historian wannabes!
Bloody fan Wannabees.

It pisses me right off when people who won't be seen anywhere near the fucking City Ground 99% of the time are pontificating about how people who do go 99% of the time react to or feel about the players coming in.

We are the ones who have to actually sit through the misery of a relegation season. I promise you that watching on your laptop ain't the same

Is Fig and Johnson injured, or are they on their way out? Not seen either involved yet.

A joke? Maybe you should flag it up.

I share some of your misgivings but by no means all. On paper, we have the players to fill all of the gaps except striker.

As we still have Taylor as well as Grabban, that's covered too - on paper. Time will tell, but I'd hope for a striker signed soon.
It isn't covered though is it?

We have this every year. Just because we have a physical body to put into a position doesn't mean that position is "covered"

Bloody fan Wannabees.

It pisses me right off when people who won't be seen anywhere near the fucking City Ground 99% of the time are pontificating about how people who do go 99% of the time react to or feel about the players coming in.

We are the ones who have to actually sit through the misery of a relegation season. I promise you that watching on your laptop ain't the same
Yeah I forgot, no one is entitled to have an opinion unless they listened to the Radio Nottingham commentary from the Pope's living room?

Calm down duck! Lighten up, and have a sit down with a nice cuppa. You will give yourself a bloody stroke one of these days if you don't chill out.

Yeah I forgot, no one is entitled to have an opinion unless they listened to the Radio Nottingham commentary from the Pope's living room?

Calm down duck! Lighten up, and have a sit down with a nice cuppa. You will give yourself a bloody stroke one of these days if you don't chill out.
You are entitled to an opinion, but you aren't entitled to tell people who actually go what theirs should or shouldn't be from your Canadian armchair

Typical friendly with a few plus points.

Gabriel looked the part and had a very good game; his defending has improved, along with his awareness of what is happening around him.

He is skilful and athletic and posed an attacking threat (played a good ball in for Taylor's goal), particularly in the second half when Lolley got out of his way.

There's plenty of improvement to come but that will only happen if he gets game time; I would be inclined to stick with him.

We definitely need a left back because Richardson needs another season out on loan; he was very shaky at the start but got better as the game progressed but he does not have that level of confidence Gabriel has developed.

Carvalho ran his socks off and displayed some nice touches; he took the initiative, dropped off of his man and came looking for the ball.

Surprise, surprise, the midfield and defence started playing the ball forward with purpose; Joao was the focal point laying simple balls off for players to run on to and the passing was pretty fluid

McKenna looked razor sharp; commanding in the air and took no prisoners on the floor; he had us defending much higher up the pitch, but that was greatly helped by having someone up front holding the ball up.

Lolley showed a few flashes of his best form in the second half.

Hughton had a right go at Cafu in the first half; I cant remember seeing him so angry.

Other than that there was nothing out of the ordinary

Johnson should be back from his Covid break on Saturday

You never know with anything more than 60% certainty what kind of season its going to be for Forest.
I'm 60% certain it will be poor, but who knows?

If that gets you off your high horse patronising fans, then fine
Just wondering though Pope, did you ever play football? I imagine you as the little fat lad who used to never get picked till last so pretended he didn't want to play anyway?

Then they invented the football forum and he decided to dedicate the rest of his days to getting his own back on those despicable bullies?

Is that you?
Be honest now!