V Northampton | Page 6 | Vital Football

V Northampton

There hasn't been a constant negative commentary.

I have raised these questions about 3 times at most, including this protracted discussion (not even on the transfer thread).

I raised this at the start of the window.

I raised it a couple of weeks ago.

I'm raising it now.

What I'm saying is worrying people because people know the situation is a worrying one.

Some people prefer to talk about the things that worry them, others prefer to try to ignore the issue.

Lmao thank you sir for the belly laugh this gave me. If you read it back you make an excellent description of a pattern of negative comments.

Tbh duk, it wouldnt be vital if you werent predicting relegation at this stage. We do have that spine add some fulbacks and some wingers and we should have enough to stay up. Get quality in one or two of those positions and some confidence, who knows.

Yates cafu carvallo should have the ability to not get overrun by average opposition and move the ball about. If CH can get the midfield working then imo lolz, grabz, mighten etc should get more joy.

Gotta defend Pope here. He’s not suggesting that we’re definitely going down - he’s saying that based on the squad we have, where we finished last season, the way we played last season and who we’ve lost means that statistically we would go down… he’s not wrong.

No point being optimistic until we bring players in. We’ve been linked with 1 striker, which is our weakest position, and he’s just rejected us. The season starts in 3 weeks and we’re weaker… which didn’t seem possible.

I’m optimistic we’ll make signings and I’m sure we won’t go down, but I think it’s a very fair concern that we’ve lost 12, signed 1.

Regardless, he’s allowed his opinion and hasn’t stopped anyone having there’s.

Agree with all this. Most people find themselves somewhere between the calm and the nervous that are pebble and the pope

Lmao thank you sir for the belly laugh this gave me. If you read it back you make an excellent description of a pattern of negative comments.

Tbh duk, it wouldnt be vital if you werent predicting relegation at this stage. We do have that spine add some fulbacks and some wingers and we should have enough to stay up. Get quality in one or two of those positions and some confidence, who knows.

Yates cafu carvallo should have the ability to not get overrun by average opposition and move the ball about. If CH can get the midfield working then imo lolz, grabz, mighten etc should get more joy.
I wasn't predicting relegation last season.

I think you miss the point "duk".

A couple of months ago I said that the squad as it was would likely get relegated.

A couple of weeks ago I said the squad as it was would likely get relegated.

The squad as it was is exactly the same as the squad as it is.

I am talking simply about what we 100% know in the here and now, which is the players we actually have.

You may be comfortable imagining new signings before they exist and taking account of players that we might never have, but I prefer to actually have those players before I wax lyrical about the impact they'll have.

I am happy to agree with you in the assumption that the club intends to remedy most of these problems with new players.

But intends and does are two different things. As everyone keeps saying, this is a window like no other and i'm not counting any chickens until they are in the pen.

The squad as is would be relegation fodder. I don’t think that’s in dispute. The question is whether we will get the players we need to stay up and/or to chase promotion…

I tend to find that the sort of person who asks questions like ‘were you bullied at school?’, ‘were you the fat kid?’ or ‘were you picked last in games’ are also the first to hide behind ‘I was joking’ or ‘you missed the joke’ etc.

These are the sort of people I try to avoid because you can almost guarantee that they were one of the bullies at school and rather than growing up they now hide behind passive aggressive ‘jokes’.

But it’s all good fun…
For the record, I was a fat kid who was bullied at school (for being irish, into astronomy and reading) but I was good at football. I did grow up into the well balanced individual you see today though, so obviously racial abuse and anti intellectualism ain't that bad in the long term.

And, yes, I'm just poking fun at the over inflated Pope and his Little Englander mindset. No harm intended.

We clearly need to sign players in some key positions but the fact that the number who have left exceeds the number who have come in doesn’t itself seem to me to be a problem - given that last season we had such a bloated, illogically put together squad.

Overall, I think it’s better for the club to err on the side of having a smaller, more efficient first team squad of say 24 players inclusive of 2-3 who have recently proved themselves at a step below (e.g. Johnson, Fornah, possibly Gabriel; with Richardson, Fernandes etc to go out on loan this season).

The consequence of a squad larger than that is lack of cohesion, players dissatisfied, unable to perform when called upon - and also that we have less room to manoeuvre in subsequent seasons.

Lack of signings so far seems reflective of the market in general - other clubs in similar situations - but being lumbered with wages as a result last season’s poor transfer strategy is probably also playing a part.

I see I have inadvertently hit an artery on this one and your pride is bleeding everywhere.

Be an avid fan by all means.

But don't patronise those of us who actually have to experience the consequences of these transfer windows live.
We worry for a reason

But you really are coming across as tho a season ticket holder has more value than an armchair fan? Sorry but thats just total garbage. Of coure you hit peoples nerves with that, its irrrelevant to your actual negative views of our club.

Ive had about 15 season tickets I guess, but there was and is absolutely the same passion if stuck in the middle of nowehere or jail or abroad, tuning into a radio and pressing it against my ear trying to listen in avidly. Buying the shirt, even if its shit, having badges and emblems and books and podcasts all to hand, reading and studying and watching the transfer market. Having hopes and dreams, crying with joy and sorrow..

Those are the valuable things in a fan, not being in the vicinity and being able to afford to go every other week, Thats just a very fortunate convenience thing.

We clearly need to sign players in some key positions but the fact that the number who have left exceeds the number who have come in doesn’t itself seem to me to be a problem - given that last season we had such a bloated, illogically put together squad.

Overall, I think it’s better for the club to err on the side of having a smaller, more efficient first team squad of say 24 players inclusive of 2-3 who have recently proved themselves at a step below (e.g. Johnson, Fornah, possibly Gabriel; with Richardson, Fernandes etc to go out on loan this season).

The consequence of a squad larger than that is lack of cohesion, players dissatisfied, unable to perform when called upon - and also that we have less room to manoeuvre in subsequent seasons.

Lack of signings so far seems reflective of the market in general - other clubs in similar situations - but being lumbered with wages as a result last season’s poor transfer strategy is probably also playing a part.
I never understand this obsession that some in football have (both media and managers) with the "small squad of 24".

That is catastrophic in the championship. It's a 46 game season in the roughest league physically in the country.

Injuries and suspensions build up quickly. In an unlucky year you can easily have double figures of players out, and those years probably happen 4 times a decade at least.

We saw Rotherham relegated last season simply because their small squad ran out of steam.

But you really are coming across as tho a season ticket holder has more value than an armchair fan? Sorry but thats just total garbage. Of coure you hit peoples nerves with that, its irrrelevant to your actual negative views of our club.

Ive had about 15 season tickets I guess, but there was and is absolutely the same passion if stuck in the middle of nowehere or jail or abroad, tuning into a radio and pressing it against my ear trying to listen in avidly. Buying the shirt, even if its shit, having badges and emblems and books and podcasts all to hand, reading and studying and watching the transfer market. Having hopes and dreams, crying with joy and sorrow..

Those are the valuable things in a fan, not being in the vicinity and being able to afford to go every other week, Thats just a very fortunate convenience thing.
I'm not even talking about any of that

Thats pretty much the point I was making, I think the smaller squad IS better than the bloated squad. i.e BJ is a better player than 10 that went and the fullbacks have pace and energy that we are lacking. But for sure we need a striker or two and by the looks of things, the new CEO might need a few tricks up his sleeve

Bloody fan Wannabees.

It pisses me right off when people who won't be seen anywhere near the fucking City Ground 99% of the time are pontificating about how people who do go 99% of the time react to or feel about the players coming in.

We are the ones who have to actually sit through the misery of a relegation season. I promise you that watching on your laptop ain't the same

He goes to games when he is over

You lecture people who are season ticket holders or travel sometimes 100's miles to get to games

You are the worst type of fan
Of course I am.

As well as being, according to you;

- the worst type of labour supporter
- the worst type of teacher
- the worst type of remainer
- someone who should just kill themselves.
- someone who should not mention my disabled children because it makes you uncomfortable and takes attention you would prefer on yourself.

I think I'll be able to live with your criticism.

As for IBM, I will push back on being patronised and slagged off for my opinion by anyone who isn't going to experience the same consequence of me being right that I am.

And you need talk; for years you have been all mouth and no ticket on these forums. It's not long ago that you claimed a home defeat to milwall under Pearce was the first time you had seen us lose at home. You soon tried to row back on they one when you realised what it said about you.

In the full knowledge you stopped reading paragraphs ago, I consider every fan who watches games equal, regardless of how they watch them; but I do think the consequences of a bad season (and perhaps the joys of a good one, although we wouldn't know much about that) are felt more keenly when you are there.