v. motherwell | Page 11 | Vital Football

v. motherwell

welch47 - 18/2/2017 15:43

Proof that Rodgers is a terrific manager, the rebirth of James Forrest. If you told me nine mnths ago that we'd see a great defensive partnership out of the oft-injured Simunovic and knock-kneed Boyata and that Forrest would look like Coutinho, I'd have poured a pint over your head.

Ditto x 10

In all my years of watching Celtic I have never seen a manager take so many underachievers (and underachievers is being very kind to a few of them) and turn them into a group who are now playing at the top of their game and with a confidence and consistency levels that I'm sure the players themselves never thought they'd achieve in a Celtic jersey.

Quite remarkable

Jock took good players and moulded them into wonderful teams and he also had the gift of being able to get inside his players heads and bring the very best out of them. Jock also developed and nurtured the young players better than anyone before or since.

Not comparing the two btw.

The sense that I get from Rodgers is that he is very good at helping players develop their skills, but he also brings a sense of positive achievement combined with personal discipline. I'm not sure he would want to hear this, but given his strengths I think he is better suited for a club like Celtic--which will always be developing talent--than and EPL club, where the players often see themselves as already being a finished article.

It appears as though someone has poured peroxide in the shampoo at the Lennoxtown dressing room. :emoticon:03

That was a straight red ffs

In the last two games we've had two career ending tackles on our players with only yellow cards being produced.

The biggest threat to this Celtic team are the officials.

Shocking!

FT 2-0

Scant reward for what was a fine Celtic performance. Bitton played well and is another who has been reborn under BR. Forrest and Sinclair tormented Motherwell from start to finish. :emoticon:01

The 'tackle' on KT was fuckin' atrocious and should have produced a straight red card

It was a casual enough stroll. I think 2-0 is probably fair because they did defend well. We missed to easy ones that kept it from being a rout. But very good passing and teamwork, as always. Hail Hail! :emoticon:01 :emoticon:01 :emoticon:01 :emoticon:55 :emoticon:55 :emoticon:55 :emoticon:41 :emoticon:41 :emoticon:41

Now to play Motherwell away on Wednesday night and after the way in which they were beaten by us on Sunday, I'm expecting a physical game! They'll also be right up for it and even more determined to beat us!

Dembele will miss the game and the weekend's fixture after that challenge from the boy that was eventually red carded on Sunday. His shin has swollen up and he's twisted his ankle a bit because of the challenge so he's out until they can better determine the extent of the injury. That will mean a start up front for Griffiths but it could also mean we finally get another sighting of Edouard!

Nir Bitton will also miss this match.

For me, Sinclair needs dropped! I'd stick Forrest on one wing and Roberts on the other, or give Hayes a game! Otherwise I would imagine it will be fairly much "as you were" with regards the team.

Can't watch the game tonight unfortunately as it's not on TV or anywhere tonight......

However tonight's team is:

Gordon
Lustig - Boyata - Simunovic - Tierney
Brown - Armstrong
Roberts - McGregor - Forrest
Griffiths

Subs: DDV, Sviatchenko, Ajer, Ntcham, Rogic, Sinclair and Edouard

Bit of a nightmare, Patrick Roberts forced off with an injury early in the first half. Tom Rogic on to replace him though! Surprising it wasn't a straight swap with Sinclair. It seems he may have come back from his injury a little too quick. What makes it worse is that he seemed to be looking really up for the game and was our biggest threat!

Judging by the commentary I'm reading, we're generally on top of this game with Armstrong looking to pull the strings tonight and make things happen. McGregor has had a couple of chances too.

Looks like this is going to be another close game!

The game finished 1-1! An OG by Lustig on 78mins and then saved by a Sinclair penalty, won by McGregor, in the 88th minute. The penalty was more of a penalty than the one Sinclair got given at the weekend but it was still a little on the soft side and penalties like that have not been given on a number of occasions.

We seem to be struggling at the moment and not just against Motherwell. Part of the problem could be a bit of fatigue, getting towards the halfway stage of the season but some players have played almost a full season already. Craig Gordon and Keiran Tierney have both made 28 appearances out of a possible 29......not including pre-season friendlies! When you consider that with another 9 games to come in December, they could have potentially made 37 appearances before the winter break and the league over the year is 38 games in total! :emoticon:10

Sat, 2nd Dec Motherwell - Ladbrokes Premiership 15:00 H
Tue, 5th Dec Anderlecht - UEFA Champions League 19:45 H
Sun, 10th Dec Hibernian - Ladbrokes Premiership 12:30 A
Wed, 13th Dec Hamilton - Ladbrokes Premiership 19:45 H
Sun, 17th Dec Heart of Midlothian - Ladbrokes Premiership 12:30 A
Wed, 20th Dec Partick Thistle - Ladbrokes Premiership 19:45 H
Sat, 23rd Dec Aberdeen - Ladbrokes Premiership 15:00 H
Tue, 26th Dec Dundee - Ladbrokes Premiership 12:30 A
Sat, 30th Dec Rangers - Ladbrokes Premiership 12:00 H

I think because we have 9 games this December and we're hopefully going to be in the Europa League in 2018, BR will start implementing a bit more rotation in the squad. He'll be hoping Ralston is back fit soon and can get him playing again to give Lustig a rest while the likes of Liam Henderson and Calvin Miller have both featured for the Development side recently to get them some game time. Both players were on the scoresheet in their respective games and seemingly played very well.

I would play Miller at LB instead of Tierney in 2 or 3 of the games this December, home against Hamilton on Wednesday 13th, home against Partick Thistle on Wednesday 20th and possibly away to Dundee on Tuesday 26th.
With Dembele looking likely to miss at least the next 2 games, Edouard should get more opportunities. Perhaps not play Griffiths for as long and bring Edouard on and give more chance to do something.
We should surely see a bit more of Kouassi over the next month as well. Scott Brown is getting past it, his consistency isn't there all the time now and it's becoming more apparent in European games. Kouassi looks as though he's going to be our replacement in the engine room of the midfield but he really needs some game time.
Roberts' injury last night, to the same hamstring he had just come back from injuring, probably means he'll miss all of December at least. Forrest is playing well so that doesn't concern me too much, but Sinclair has been off form and I can only hope he finds it again now! Equally, Robert's injury should mean more chances for Johnny Hayes and Mickey Johnston. Like Miller, I'd expect to see Johnston starting in 2 or 3 games this December.
Central defence we don't have the same problem as with so many injuries to them all this season, none of them have played too many games yet. Simunovic 15 and Boyata 14 appearances. However, there must surely be a game or two to give a run out to Ajer and hopefully get Sviatchenko back up to fitness as well? Both players have been on the bench recently but don't get on because we're usually still chasing the game.
Kundai Benyu is the only other player to have been involved in the first team and not be seen much. I'm not sure if he's likely to get much game time next month though. We may see him on the subs bench and making a few appearances that way before he departs on loan in January.

D'Day Ghents. Busy month ahead and maybe we need some fresh legs and fresh thinking. Glad to see Hayes and Ajer out there.

Great work from Ntcham and Sinclair. Lovely pass rolls in and Edouard just slots it in. Nice touch, too! 1-0! That really was pretty work!

Hi Welch.

Feel we're playing better today! Sinclair looking more confident and Hayes adding something different down the right wing today too! Edouard gives us pace and power through the middle and he did well for his goal but the set up from Ntcham and Sinclair was really good. Ntcham looks in the mood!

We look great today. We're offten a left-sided team. Hayes adds pace and grit that Forrest does not have. I think Forrest is having a fine season, it's just a different look. Edouard is quicker than Dembele, just not quite as skilled over the ball and not as strong. He looks great, though.

Latest Celtic News