v Huddersfield | Page 2 | Vital Football

v Huddersfield

Sadly yes PK. Ironically he left Huddersfield for us after 200 plus consecutive games for them. He was injured for the whole of one season when he came here.

I don't remember Brown as bad, maybe because he didn't play much. Also, the club was on the way up with a manager I think has been totally underrated in our history.

we bought John Ryan and Malcolm brown when we got promoted in 84 Guy. Both of them were total gash. Ryan was quite pricey for the time.

What about that twin centre half pairing of bramble and boumsong? You would have to be going some to match those two.

the other is the weakest link the defence has had in over 100 years

You've obviously never seen much of us over the years, anyone remember Malcolm Brown for one?
And very apt you mention him on the Huddersfield thread, PK.

Didn’t he play summat like 3000 games off the belt for them; signed for Newcastle and immediately got injured for over a year? Both he and Ryan (Oldham) signed in the close season before 83/84

DLG - didn’t Trewick have a spell at LB (as well as other positions) when Ryan proved not up to the mark? Also didn’t Wharton get “converted” in that position later?

Beat me to it, yes Ryan. I seem to remember we had Bailey at a similar time, great with Everton but lost his pace by the time we got him. Anderson was right back. I remember Trewick being signed as a sort of Christmas present for about £250k. At the time, confused him with John Wile (?) also from West Brom who had played with a bloodied bandage round his head in a televised game. Trewick didn't have the same guts as Wile. I don't remember him as left back, more a sort of tippy tappy midfielder with the occasional diagonal pass, a really poor man's Trevor Brooking. However, he did a job for Cox.

Missed the Kenny Wharton bit, yes, originally a 10 or 11 but played a lot at left back. Looked lightweight but a real tiger.

Trewick was a big signing (in fact, record signing?) about 1980-81? I remember he scored in Newcastle’s biggest win of the season in the last game v Leyton Orient (3-1- wow - that’s how bad they were). He played initially at no 11, went out of the picture, then - when everyone had forgotten about him - had a short renaissance in the second half of the ‘83/84 season. I think he scored the equaliser at Blackburn at Easter time. Fairly sure he played left back for a spell.

Wile was a defender - centre half? Think the game referred to was a cup semi final (v Ipswich?) at Highbury which West Brom lost (‘78?)

I witnessed Supermac rise above Wile to score with a header from a Jinky free kick at the Hawthorns. Cup 5th round. F**k me, that was 45 years ago. :oops:

Trewick was a big signing (in fact, record signing?) about 1980-81? I remember he scored in Newcastle’s biggest win of the season in the last game v Leyton Orient (3-1- wow - that’s how bad they were). He played initially at no 11, went out of the picture, then - when everyone had forgotten about him - had a short renaissance in the second half of the ‘83/84 season. I think he scored the equaliser at Blackburn at Easter time. Fairly sure he played left back for a spell.

Wile was a defender - centre half? Think the game referred to was a cup semi final (v Ipswich?) at Highbury which West Brom lost (‘78?)
Thinking back, I think you're right. £250k or so. Peter Withe had been about £200k.

Didn’t Trewick go on to win the league cup with Oxford, I always remember him as quite a cultured footballer, obviously not with us like.

Didn’t Trewick go on to win the league cup with Oxford, I always remember him as quite a cultured footballer, obviously not with us like.

He did, and Kevin Brock was in the same team.

Trewick, from memory, was a decent player for us at the time, compared to what we had and had been used to.

As for Malcolm Brown, to be fair he had been injured for a year before playing for us and was nearly an ever present in our first year as a promoted team, a team finishing 14th with 52 points, we'd definitely take that these days. He was no Carlos Alberto but we've seen far, far worse.

we bought John Ryan and Malcolm brown when we got promoted in 84 Guy. Both of them were total gash. Ryan was quite pricey for the time.

What about that twin centre half pairing of bramble and boumsong? You would have to be going some to match those two.

That's the one, he stunk!!!!

I always liked Trewick, didnt Saunders the glove thief play around this time at left back or is my memory shot

I see the love in for Ashley is back on. We should be grateful that we can afford such a magnificent player for £20 million. Although I’m pretty sure Bournemouth do this on a regular basis. However, despite £20 million being the average price for an average player these days, that’s none of my business.

Glad to see the lads from Nottingham Forest get the plaudits again too. One can’t get on the bench and the other is the weakest link the defence has had in over 100 years.

Do you genuinely believe lascelles is the weakest link in a defence for 100 years? I mean I quite like him but that's not even my point... You remember boumsong and bramble right? Or Stevie Taylor... Or Marcelino... Or as much as I loved the entertainers, the entire defence on a defensive basis!

He was arrested for nicking a pair of gloves from Fenwicks while playing for us, different times now a first team player could probably buy Fenwicks with the wages they are on.