v Hamilton | Page 9 | Vital Football

v Hamilton

I'm a little annoyed that we haven't tried to upgrade at keeper. Gordon is good for domestic competition but not good enough for Europe. That said, I'm plain livid that we haven;'t upgraded over Boyata/Sviatchenko.

welch47 - 8/9/2017 21:23

I'm a little annoyed that we haven't tried to upgrade at keeper. Gordon is good for domestic competition but not good enough for Europe. That said, I'm plain livid that we haven;'t upgraded over Boyata/Sviatchenko.

CB was the priority for me but Gordon's propensity for losing the softest and stupidest of goals is really starting to grate. Tonight's example could have prevented in the air but we didn't have any CB's on at that point!

CB was the definite priority. Simunovic is first rate, but injury prone. The other two are OK, but we really needed a class CB to come in. I get the sense that they spent so much time trying to get Roberts permanently that they put this off. The Cape Town Ajax player was not the answer, either.

That's the way I read it too. It won't be any easier in January and we'll likely end up with a CB we could have had in during the summer. We made a mess of it.

That goal aside, we we're scintillating in that first half. The football was a joy to watch even on that bumpy abortion of a pitch. SInclair was on another level and could have scored 4 or 5 on the night. Roberts got the run out he needed and looked like he'd never been away. Produced a wonderful performance too. Edouard had a great début! A goal and an assist were the icing on a fine introduction but it was his pace and power that caught the eye. Superb! Armstrong getting back to his best too.

This was a fine run of form before a very important game against what is probably the best team in the world. I'd be overjoyed to steal a victory, but I secretly hope for plain 'ole respectability. Brown or Ntcham will have to sit right in front of the CBs or it could be a nightmare.

At home against Hamilton tomorrow night in game number 4/9 in Decemeber and yes we're not quite 2 weeks into December......

The squad is looking tired and it's not surprising given how many games some of them have played already this season. With a trip away to Hearts next weekend before home games against Partick and Aberdeen before going to Dundee on Boxing Day and then Rangers at the end of the month, BR must surely be ready to give the fringe players a chance?
Eboue Kouassi into midfield, Nir Bitton back in, Ajer given more opportunities, Calvin Miller rewarded for playing well for the Development side as well as Liam Henderson given a chance to show he can still have a future here and then surely finally get Sviatchenko back from injury?
That doesn't even include giving Johnny Hayes a start or bringing in the likes of Mikey Johnston from the younger players.
If Ralston is fit, he needs to get back in at RB, otherwise we need Gamboa to give Lustig a rest. Lustig has been great again for us this season in a lot of games but he's not had as big an impact going forward and now looks to be struggling to cope with the pace of some of the wingers he's up against in Scotland too.

You then have other youngsters who from what I've seen of them in the UEFA Youth League, are doing rather well and I'd be surprised if Rodgers doesn't have his eye on them. Kerr McInroy is a talented looking midfielder as are Mark Hill and Regan Hendry. Hendry is one of those who can play multiple positions within midfield and I believe is captain of the Development side. A real leader on the pitch. Hill is built like a tank and usually plays a more defensive role in CM alongside McInroy.
At the back, both Robbie Deas and Stephen Welsh have looked pretty good, big but mobile CBs who can play a bit too! Wallace Duffy is like a young Lustig, big and tall but quick and good at getting forward and helping the attack!
Then there is Liam Henderson's younger brother Ewan who can play on the wing or in an attacking midfield position and looks to be a better player than Liam, apparently Liam even admitted Ewan is better than him!
Then of course there is Jack Aitchison to play up front.

So many young players who could be given an opportunity to at least make the bench. With us playing Hamilton and Partick Thistle at home rather than away, these games are more likely to see changes made and young players given a chance.

Personally I'd go with:

DDV
Ralston/Gamboa - Ajer - Bitton - Miller
Kouassi
Johnston - Henderson - Hayes
Griffiths - Edouard

Subs: Hazard, Simunovic, Rogic, Ntcham, Benyu, Forrest, Sviatchenko

Mix up the formation a little bit too. Hamilton will sit in and pack the defence. 2 up top should help break through!

Tonight's team is:

Gordon
Ajer - Bitton - Boyata
Forrest - Ntcham - Brown - Armstrong - McGregor
Sinclair
Edouard

That might be McGregor and Sinclair switched about.

Subs: DDV, Griffiths, Dembele, Tierney, Simunovic, Lustig and Hayes

Not as many changes as I expected tonight!

Ntcham gave us the lead after an assist from Sinclair.

Hamilton have equalised with their first shot of the game. Redmond picked the ball up at the edge of the box and he took a shot which sailed into the top corner, Gordon couldn't get to it. Just a little bit slow defending from us really, not anticipating or reacting quick enough.

GOAL! 2-1! Forrest!

Armstrong with a sliderule pass right through the middle of the Hamilton defence to find Forrest beating the offside and running through, he rounds the onrushing keeper and puts it in the back of the net.

GOAL! 3-1! Sinclair!

Edouard and Forrest close the ball down well to win it back on the right side, ball breaks to Forrest who crosses it to Sinclair on the edge of the box, he controls it and picks his spot to curl it right footed into the far corner of the net!

Away to Hamilton this Sunday lunchtime. I don't recall us ever consciously training on an artificial pitch for games against Hamilton or any other Scottish team like we have this week. Hopefully it makes a difference!

Today's team:

Bain
Hendry - Ajer - Boyata
Roberts - Brown - Ntcham - Tierney
McGregor - Sinclair
Dembele

Subs: DdV, Lustig, Armstrong, Forrest, Musonda, Edouard and Griffiths

I think given the plastic surface, we're not risking Simunovic or Gordon and maybe why the likes of Rogic, Lustig and Griffiths are all not playing today as playing too long on it could cause problems to their injuries.

VERY early chance for Dembele, 1 on 1 with the keeper! Should have buried it! Sloppy passing from Hamilton from the kick-off!

GOAL! Calmac! In off the post! Good early goal!

Roberts with the ball out on the right, plays it back to Calmac on the edge of the box, he's given plenty of time to line up and take his shot, which he does and the keeper has no chance!

This is the sort of formation where I feel Sinclair gets lost and is not effective! He's not playing out wide because that's where Tierney is, he's playing inside left behind Dembele but really he doesn't know where to be.....he doesn't get on the ball much, he's never in a position to get the ball and run and teams play deep enough that he can't really run in behind. He's not good enough as a CM sort of player as it's never been his position so he is unable to contribute like that. If you compare it to Calmac who is effectively playing the same position but on the right hand side, Calmac is far more involved in the game and comes deep and is able to play a CM role so is far more useful and effective.

Poor conceded goal! 1-1. Ajer doesn't deal with it, he's unable to win the foot race and it just comes from a flick on but we're playing too high and there's too much space in behind the defence.

G'day Welch! Hamilton have slowed down our play and we're unable to counter-attack the same.

Good shot from McGregor! Eventually out for a corner which comes to nothing. Once again though it's Calmac that is creating and trying to make things happen, not enough coming from the other players!

The usual stuff, Tic. lots of possession and side to side passing. Dembele is troubling the guy in the 15th row. Not enough goals.

Latest Celtic News