v Aberdeen (SC) | Vital Football

v Aberdeen (SC)

Celtic team: Forster, Matthews, Ambrose, Van Dijk, Izaguirre, Forrest, Brown, Johansen, Samaras, Commons, Stokes

Subs: Zaluska, Griffiths, Fisher, Balde, Boerrigter, Biton, Pukki

:emoticon:55

It doesn't. They've also turned up the heat and we were second to every ball in the last 10 minutes.

Half time.

We've played okay but some of our players need to remember that cup ties are also battles they have to fight in. Need some thunder!

:emoticon:27

That was a poor performance from players who weren't helped by our managers tactics. These non-performances in cups are becoming the norm!

Pish poor. Lenny has no excuses for these mounting embarrassments.

:emoticon:29

That was an awful 2nd half performance, 1st half was OK but was still really poor defending at their goal. In fact every corner or free-kick played in to our defence yesterday was poorly defended! We were SO slow to get to the second ball!

Really not happy with the display yesterday, yet at the same time I don't think you could really say that any player played badly. Johansen seemed to lose concentration in the 2nd half though, maybe 90 mins was a bit too much for him. We were once again (as we are so often these days) overpowered in midfield. Even in the 1st half, Johansen and Brown were running around chasing shadows! That's always going to happen when you have Forrest on one wing and Samaras on the other and then 2 up front as well.

If Lennon wants to keep using this system of two attacking wingers Commons off the striker and a striker up top, he needs to make it 3 at the back and add someone else in to CM.
Because almost every team play the one up front with two counter-attacking wingers (exactly what Aberdeen did yesterday) then it can leave us outnumbered in midfield so they can play it around us and if our fullbacks push on, it can leave us short of numbers if they counter-attack. Both of those things happened on a number of occasions yesterday!

On the plus side.....our season will finish slightly earlier and the players can get more rest before the World Cup and our Champions League Qualifiers.

Oh and what was with the piss poor attendance yesterday? It was so quiet the whole upper tier was closed and even then there were empty seats amongst all the fans......

I missed much of the second half but I think Wee Od is right on with the tactics. Sammy and Forrest do no defending and do not set anything up, leaving Brown an Johansen with it all to do. Sounds lie he never changed it up. And really, we suddenly have few options in central midfield. Ledley is gone. I'm not sold on Biton. So it's Brown and Johansen with a couple of wingmen.

This loss really pisses me off. We can stroll through the league but can't get a win in Europe or these cup games. What happened to big-game Samaras!?

Latest Celtic News