Race Issues/Riots/Protests/BLM | Page 15 | Vital Football

Race Issues/Riots/Protests/BLM

If it's allowed to be. If we're all so negative about it, when will things change?
Its the way of enquiries, the people who wanted it say its a whitewash, and those that prepared it say it is thourogh and a honest.
I remember Shami Chakarabati s report into anti sematism in the Labour Party.
She said it didnt exist, they gave her a title for giving them the report they wanted and four years on anti semitism amongst other thing caused Labour to have its worst election result in eighty five years.

What’s the anger over though? The fact a poor guy was murdered or the fact people are poor?

The anger is now selfish, although I don’t blame them - as you say, the US is deprived in areas and there’s no way they can get out of that wealth bracket (or lack of it).

Capitalism in America is so brutal and until that relaxes, I can’t see how anyone who starts at the bottom gets off the bottom.

What is the anger about? The institutionalised racism and hatred of black and minorities? And being poor and marginalised? And the mess they see their country in?

I don't speak for the protestors, obviously, but it doesn't have to be one or the other. Not sure why you think the anger over that death should have subsided or how the anger is now selfish. It seems to me the public are fighting back from the injustices and shite lives a lot of them live.

Of course, within that, some people just like a good fight/riot, there are those as well!

What is the anger about? The institutionalised racism and hatred of black and minorities? And being poor and marginalised? And the mess they see their country in?

I don't speak for the protestors, obviously, but it doesn't have to be one or the other. Not sure why you think the anger over that death should have subsided or how the anger is now selfish. It seems to me the public are fighting back from the injustices and shite lives a lot of them live.

Of course, within that, some people just like a good fight/riot, there are those as well!

I'll run with General Mattis. Speaking of which isn't this thread a misnomer?

Mattis rejects the notion that U.S. streets are a "battlespace" and backs protesters' calls for justice.

"It is a wholesome and unifying demand—one that all of us should be able to get behind. We must not be distracted by a small number of lawbreakers."

https://t.co/zUZcpIGnBy

My post came across wrong, badly worded. I think there are at least three reasons why people are protesting, all linked. Some are completely justified (police brutality & inequality), whilst some are opportunistic and not fine, making the most of a bad situation by looting.

Not in reply to your post JF, but we debate page after page about the issues, but what is the solution? To me, there are engrained systemic, social and cultural problems which are preventing black people from having a proportional make up of their population in the employment market for example. So how do we get more black people in the boards of companies, or in the police force, or teachers?

I don't think so. The ambition of society should be a complete meritocracy. Britain has an issue with the Eton boys in particular at one end of the scale.

Yup, there is a great example of positive discrimination. The old school tie brigade, and look at the mess those idiots get us into!

A protest in Birmingham city centre happening now.

Oh good, more chances to spread the virus. Well done you fucktards.

Is there going to be one in solidarity for the atrocities in Africa? For the awful situation in Syria? For the poor people in Hong Kong?

nope.

Said earlier, social justice is crucial, but for the amount of deaths in this country, so is social distancing. These people are obviously hard of thinking.

I don't think so. The ambition of society should be a complete meritocracy. Britain has an issue with the Eton boys in particular at one end of the scale.

Dont worry, I wasn’t serious it’s not the right answer, it never is.

From the things I’m seeing online this has moved on from police brutality now (which is a no brainer that needs addressing in the US), to something about wealth equality which again needs addressing. On social media, I’ve seen posts which suggest the 400 richest yanks are richer than the total GDP of the U.K. (which I haven’t fact checked), but sounds plausible.

But how do you address that? Heavier taxes and distribute it, or improve opportunities for the poorer in society to be able to work for they’re rewards.

Dont worry, I wasn’t serious it’s not the right answer, it never is.

From the things I’m seeing online this has moved on from police brutality now (which is a no brainer that needs addressing in the US), to something about wealth equality which again needs addressing. On social media, I’ve seen posts which suggest the 400 richest yanks are richer than the total GDP of the U.K. (which I haven’t fact checked), but sounds plausible.

But how do you address that? Heavier taxes and distribute it, or improve opportunities for the poorer in society to be able to work for they’re rewards.

A decent minimum wage would be a start. Make them pay better wages, if they won't do it voluntarily. Instead of more profits for fat cats, pass it on to the common man. He's more likely to spend it, as well, rather than squirrel it away, so it's a double win.

I understand why people are protesting and rioting in America. Apart from the global pandemic I think they are quite entitled to show anger against the racism, violence and police brutality seen daily over there.

However in this country I think some people are playing up to it. As a society we are nowhere near as racist as over there - that’s not to say racism doesn’t exist here, there are racist individuals and there is an implicit racism in UK society which needs to be worked on over time, but it’s nowhere as explicitly racist as in America. We don’t have police going around killing black people for example, it’s a regular occurrence in the states. Sports people who speak up against racism are respected in praised here, whereas in the US they get ostracised completely and kicked out of their sport.

To see people breaking guidelines on social distancing... for their own safety... vandalising war memorials in honour of those who lost their lives fighting for freedom and to end murderous foreign regimes, shouting at and abusing police who are there to protect their safety and who’ve they’ve probably been ‘clapping for key workers‘ for recently.. just makes no sense to me.

When I see the protesters on the news some are clearly there to show support / solidarity, and / or to protest against general social injustice and improving equality and fairness in society, which is fine for me . However I also see people specifically protesting the U.K. police, and police brutality etc some people to me seem unaware that US society is not the same as U.K. society. Their issues are different to our issues. We have racial issues, Black people with underprivileged backgrounds leading to worse deprivation, poverty and higher crime etc. Long term systemic social changes are needed to address those, but shouting about how U.K. police are killing black people when they’re not isn’t the solution if anything only serves to increase tensions and societal divides.

A decent minimum wage would be a start. Make them pay better wages, if they won't do it voluntarily. Instead of more profits for fat cats, pass it on to the common man. He's more likely to spend it, as well, rather than squirrel it away, so it's a double win.

Target the tech companies paying zero percent corporation tax in the Canary Islands would be a good start wouldn’t it.

But when these companies and leaders lobby and fund so much politics, that makes things harder.

Although I’m not anti-fat cat in that way, CEO’s and directors work harder and have a lot more responsibility than any of us. And largely they are PAYE like the rest of us, so there aren’t siphoning money to an offshore account before paying tax.