US Presidential election | Page 64 | Vital Football

US Presidential election

Maybe so, but not the Donald.
I said the day the impeachment was announced that it was a waste of time and money.
Not guilty was inevitable given the threats against Republicans who would otherwise have voted agaist Trump (apparently).

From the little I know of what happened over there, I'd say that in English law there probably wasn't quite enough to convict as the language wasn't sufficiently blatantly calling for direct insurrection. Obviously they have their own burden of proof; I'm just saying what I think the result would have been under our law.

As to whether it was a waste of time, that is a different matter. There are occasions that a case goes to trial in the public interest rather than purely on the likelihood of conviction.

Hence I agree the trial should have gone ahead in spite of almost inevitable acquittal.

Regardless of his policies, good or bad, what shocking behaviour by Trump though. On the day in question, 'throwing Pence under a bus' in spite on Pence showing incredible loyalty to him throughout his term in office. That alone says all one needs to know about the man.

The GOP have been taken over by 'Tea Party' type nutters.

Dems had to go through with the impeachment to satisfy their own meat-eaters. Happy to keep it short to get the light back on the first 100 days. Mitch pointed the way for Trump in his wrap up -the law will go after him. And if you are serious about some of the things Trump said he was trying to achieve, you should be glad. The man was a menace who shat on everyone including his most loyal supporters in the end. Contemptible.

Not guilty was inevitable given the threats against Republicans who would otherwise have voted agaist Trump (apparently).

From the little I know of what happened over there, I'd say that in English law there probably wasn't quite enough to convict as the language wasn't sufficiently blatantly calling for direct insurrection. Obviously they have their own burden of proof; I'm just saying what I think the result would have been under our law.

As to whether it was a waste of time, that is a different matter. There are occasions that a case goes to trial in the public interest rather than purely on the likelihood of conviction.

Hence I agree the trial should have gone ahead in spite of almost inevitable acquittal.

Regardless of his policies, good or bad, what shocking behaviour by Trump though. On the day in question, 'throwing Pence under a bus' in spite on Pence showing incredible loyalty to him throughout his term in office. That alone says all one needs to know about the man.

The GOP have been taken over by 'Tea Party' type nutters.

This was not what we would call a legal trial more a political constitutional enquiry.
its a process for high crimes in office where even if found guilty the maximum penalty would be that the person in office would not be able to run for office again.

The issue is that high crimes in office has no definition at all.
The reason trump was acquitted is that the process under the constitution is only relevant to sitting office holders and trump is not in office therefore the republicans were correct constitutionally and it was just a show trial. Ordinary citizens cannot be tried under this part of the constitution so its legality would always be challenged.

however many republicans who voted constitutionally have said that Trump should now be tried as a citizen which would be what we consider a fully legal process.
Bottom line is that trump was acquitted as he should not have been tried under the constitution not because he had not acted badly.

the tea party was destroyed by the trump gang and holds little sway in the gop now.

jokerman - please correct or add to this.

This was not what we would call a legal trial more a political constitutional enquiry.
its a process for high crimes in office where even if found guilty the maximum penalty would be that the person in office would not be able to run for office again.

The issue is that high crimes in office has no definition at all.
The reason trump was acquitted is that the process under the constitution is only relevant to sitting office holders and trump is not in office therefore the republicans were correct constitutionally and it was just a show trial. Ordinary citizens cannot be tried under this part of the constitution so its legality would always be challenged.

however many republicans who voted constitutionally have said that Trump should now be tried as a citizen which would be what we consider a fully legal process.
Bottom line is that trump was acquitted as he should not have been tried under the constitution not because he had not acted badly.

the tea party was destroyed by the trump gang and holds little sway in the gop now.

jokerman - please correct or add to this.
It’s not settled, I think. There’s precedent for impeaching a cabinet member post hoc, and if you can’t go after a president post hoc, then the effect would be to make them able to do as they like and untouchable in their final days.

when all the truth comes out if Pelosi, the Clintons, the Obama's, Biden dont face the death penalty for years of treason,lies and theft, then I will be amazed.

It’s not settled, I think. There’s precedent for impeaching a cabinet member post hoc, and if you can’t go after a president post hoc, then the effect would be to make them able to do as they like and untouchable in their final days.

no precedent for a president so would i assume need an amendment to the constitution.
the real issue is that it would open up the chance of it happening to the new administration and previous administrations and seeing as they all have potential misdemeanours would they take the risk.
Is this why trump chose not to go after hillary even though the fbi had found legality issues within her time as foreign secretary and when running for President. I dont think any presidents or cabinet members are clean enough to be clear of it. As they all have the same backers is it more a power play with the dems and gop do you think.
Will somebody take out a private lawsuit or ?

Trump did not go after Clinton because there was nothing remotely like a case, but I make you dead right on the precedent issue. Same as with SCOTUS. One side nails a judge (Borke) and sets a whole new low standard. One good thing about Trump is just how far down he took it -maybe the political class as a whole will wise up to the danger. That and the feel good which is just around the corner in terms of economic rebound and expansion may make cooperation on a repair job possible.

Trump did not go after Clinton because there was nothing remotely like a case, but I make you dead right on the precedent issue. Same as with SCOTUS. One side nails a judge (Borke) and sets a whole new low standard. One good thing about Trump is just how far down he took it -maybe the political class as a whole will wise up to the danger. That and the feel good which is just around the corner in terms of economic rebound and expansion may make cooperation on a repair job possible.

also Bill Clinton being one of Trumps mates might have helped lol. Lot of self preservation going on from all concerned.

They say in politics that you need to be able to count.
If you do not have the numbers then you will lose and all the US commentators from day one said that the Dems did not have the numbers so I am not sure why they persued this unless they were hoping that the GOP members would use it as a way to get rid of Trump from the party - it would help both parties if they stopped him standing again.
Trumps base though still exists which I think stopped the republicans doing that.
If Trump did disappear from the scene then maybe a more 'acceptable' populist candidate would emerge to push the MAGA concept in a less bombastic more 'acceptable' way.
Still a week is a long time in politics so the next 3/4 years in the US will be interesting if nothing else.