US Presidential election | Page 16 | Vital Football

US Presidential election

The USA and UK will continue to be strong military and intelligence allies but somehow, I doubt Joe Biden will ever be a true friend of the UK. However, does that matter at all ? Guess we`ll find out in the coming years.

Doubt whether it does. Somebody on the news or Andrew Marr pointed out that Trump had provoked and offended France and Germany so much that Biden may have to prioritise repairing the damage there, but it would be difficult for him to say how much he values the help of the UK in military, intelligence and security matters while at the same time badmouthing us and holding us to ransom on a trade deal.

Although Trump was touting a trade deal it would only be done of it benefitted "America first" so Biden will be the same.

We are only talking about 17% of our imports/exports and, with existing WTO tariffs, we already export more to the US than we import. It would just be a shame for both nations if that percentage could not be increased, as it surely would be with a mutually beneficial free trade deal in place.

Joe Biden refused to talk to the BBC yesterday, saying that he's Irish!
His parents apparently from county mayo, where my wifes from. Her family is going mad over it, a mayo man president of the usa. Lots of videos of when he went over there a few years ago and joined an irish trad sesh in Matt Malloys in Westport doing the rounds on their watsapp groups.

His parents apparently from county mayo, where my wifes from. Her family is going mad over it, a mayo man president of the usa. Lots of videos of when he went over there a few years ago and joined an irish trad sesh in Matt Malloys in Westport doing the rounds on their watsapp groups.
I was stationed in Ireland for a while.

Biden is not the problem although not a good start to diss the BBC. Relationship with Harris will be much more important.

Joe Biden refused to talk to the BBC yesterday, saying that he's Irish!
What bollocks. As Biden went through a door with a crush of reporters, the BBC man said, “Have you got a word for the BBC ?” whilst still going through the door, Biden looked over his shoulder and smiled and said “I’m Irish !”. Refused to talk to the BBC ? Have a look at the clip.

What bollocks. As Biden went through a door with a crush of reporters, the BBC man said, “Have you got a word for the BBC ?” whilst still going through the door, Biden looked over his shoulder and smiled and said “I’m Irish !”. Refused to talk to the BBC ? Have a look at the clip.

I've seen the full clip, and it was several times he was asked to talk to the BBC. You seemed to have just watched the edited version...

As Biden heads for 80 it is likely that Harris is readied to take over either in this term or as their nominee in the next. Been very impressed by her so far.

As Biden heads for 80 it is likely that Harris is readied to take over either in this term or as their nominee in the next. Been very impressed by her so far.
If she is considered a future president it is in her interest for Biden to do at least 2 years.No President can do ten years or more in office if they take over mid term.

I heard that too then on Northern Ireland news last night they made a big thing on his ancestral home being Carlingford and interviewed some cousins, probably because it just over the border!

Right let's start a prediction league for the date of Melania Trump's serving divorce papers. I'm going for start of business 20th January 2021.

I predict...
January 21st. Same month Putin steps down. Boris goes around March. Biden steps down before June, and Harris takes over. 50p EW 😊

Kamala Harris is a very smart and ambitious woman. Like some others, I can see her being POTUS prior to ending of the upcoming Democratic term. From an outsiders point of view, I believe that she might be a more effective President of the USA than Joe Biden. But, notwithstanding her experience as a Prosecutor, Harris will have a challenging job in achieving domestic stability, especially in relation to law and order.

To my mind, Biden is a far less credible leader and it also worries me that he has and may still, for all I know, promoted the (tired) narrative of IRA murders being freedom fighters. The Irish-American vote is a big deal in the USA, especially along the east coast, but so many Americans fail to see the wood for the trees when it comes to Northern Ireland.

The USA and UK will continue to be strong military and intelligence allies but somehow, I doubt Joe Biden will ever be a true friend of the UK. However, does that matter at all ? Guess we`ll find out in the coming years.

Thing is, Biden grew up in an Irish family near a predominantly Catholic city (Philadelphia) back in the 1960s/70s/80s, almost evenly split between the Irish/Italians/Polish. Many of the local Irish communities trace their roots back to Donegal, Derry, Belfast and other parts of Ulster.

His family comes from either County Louth or Offaly, but I think he still feels the need to be compliant with his more traditional 'Base' of support (likely to be indifferent towards the British, at best).

Gills 58 - typo (inauguration) or are you being some sort of smart arse and I'm missing it?

Re: announcement of separation of the Trump's - 1st April ;)