US Presidential election | Page 13 | Vital Football

US Presidential election

Do they really care who our PM is?
I was giving it as a example. The President of USA is powerful .Our prime minister is a nobody and has been for a few decades .Our current prime minister's hasn't even got power over his own party or a large part of the membership. At most he has the total support of around 10 million people in this country.He has power over almost nobody internationally and influence over tens of millions of ordinary people world wide .The president whoever he is will have a thousand times the amount of power and influence.

Not powerful enough to stop the slaughter on the streets with thousands killed and injured each year by shootings, even Obama failed in that respect.
Not powerful enough to give all Americans a decent affordable health service.
Maybe not the first but the second could be done with the will of the people. But I don't think it is something that the American people have wanted in enough numbers .The sick and needy are a minority. In USA at present.

No one is coming up with any evidence of massive fraud. A variety of courts have already ruled on Republican legal efforts as being without merit. The Republican Party is edging away from Trump -the point is to win the game, not trash it. But a ‘uuuuuge’ chunk of the electorate voted for him including growing numbers of minorities. That’s the number one reality Biden will face. Not the excitables to his left who can do absolutely nothing besides undermine him. With a bit of skill he’ll get in front of the shift to the right and haul it back to the center. Nice to have a prosecutor as his VP. Right sorts of instincts for this sort of job. As of now, hardly anyone, except the excitable left maybe, has any interest in Trump hanging around. Turn out the lights, the party’s over.

(I've also had one ask if the design for St Paul's cathedral was based on the capitol building but that's another story)

They are a bizarre bunch. I visited rocket city in alabama once where the name "Von Braun" is used on everything. On the tour of the space centre one stereotypical red neck asked did von braun come to the US because he wanted to be American. Absolutely said the guide. When I asked whether the fact that he was a captured Nazi and the alternative was prison or worse the reply from the red neck was " no way he loved the USA, listen to what he said".

Crazy place with many having little concept of a world outside the USA.

I like visiting for work or holidays but couldn't live there, despite some being very welcoming hosts and some stunning natural beauty.

The swing was predicted in advance in British media. Trump encouraged his supporters to vote on the day, partly in an attempt to dampen down fears about Covid. Democrats in general were more concerned about Covid and were encouraged to vote in advance/by post. Hence they predicted a "Red mirage" on election day and then a "Blue wave". That's why there has been such a shift.

Agree re poor candidates (ours not much better tbh). However, Trump is uniquely shocking in that he is questioning the veracity of the whole system (on no credible evidence). Even Nixon gave a generous speech conceding to Kennedy in 1960 and said he would support the incoming President. Worrying that Trump may have blood on his hands if some of his extremist fans to resort to violence as a result of his irresponsible language and claims. Dangerous and classless.

Hope my language in describing Trump wasn't too offensive Shotshy. :-)

I don't necessarily disagree, but I wake up this morning and still see that the scores on the doors are still the same. If it is not suspicious, which I am not completely convinced it isn't, it is certainly a farce. The whole thing has shown America and American democracy in bad light, whether it be Trump's histrionics, refusal to concede and seemingly baseless claims of fraud or the absolute joke that constituted the polling and now the farcical vote counting. Add to that the decision of US Democrat supporting networks to cut coverage of Trump when he was speaking (albeit he was spouting a load of bollocks), which can only be regarded as censorship - the sort of tactics that I am sure Trump would employ and condone were he doing it to someone else.

I agree that there could be violence as a result of this and Trump will have encouraged it. However, America is a very divided country at the moment and whilst Trump has stirred the pot good and proper, he is not solely to blame - BLM/Antifa thugs have been just as predominant in recent times as Trump's extreme supporters/the far right/hillbillies etc. Were the result tight and/or controversial either way, I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to realise that the usual protagonists, whether left or right, black or white, were always going to resort to violence.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I wake up this morning and still see that the scores on the doors are still the same. If it is not suspicious, which I am not completely convinced it isn't, it is certainly a farce. The whole thing has shown America and American democracy in bad light, whether it be Trump's histrionics, refusal to concede and seemingly baseless claims of fraud or the absolute joke that constituted the polling and now the farcical vote counting. Add to that the decision of US Democrat supporting networks to cut coverage of Trump when he was speaking (albeit he was spouting a load of bollocks), which can only be regarded as censorship - the sort of tactics that I am sure Trump would employ and condone were he doing it to someone else.

I agree that there could be violence as a result of this and Trump will have encouraged it. However, America is a very divided country at the moment and whilst Trump has stirred the pot good and proper, he is not solely to blame - BLM/Antifa thugs have been just as predominant in recent times as Trump's extreme supporters/the far right/hillbillies etc. Were the result tight and/or controversial either way, I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to realise that the usual protagonists, whether left or right, black or white, were always going to resort to violence.
If they were to finish the vote and it will clearly show Biden has won what then?They still have to wait till January. Meanwhile loads of nutters with massive stock piles of weapons are on the streets. The longer they leave it pending the better chance that Trump and the Republican machine might see sense. It not the military will have to take action to prevent massive bloodshed. Not a easy job but time is the best chance they have of avoiding the massive problems that Mr Trump's imagination has created.

Apart from anything would it not be wise for those in charge of these counts to check and double check every possible vote that their is the slightest question mark over .That takes time after all until they declare a result their is no legal body that will find anyone guilty of anything. When the President of the USA is threatening you with a law suit you better check that you are clean of any wrong doing. That's why the counts might go on for a very long time just in case .Even in states where they are Republican governed.

I read an explanation for the apparent dodgy goings-on:

1. the reason it's taking so long is because they actually check the validity of postal votes - contrary to Trump's statement. And, of course, the number of postal votes this time is much higher than usual
2. Biden encouraged people to use postal votes whereas Trump discouraged it so its not surprising that we see Biden's proportion increase as the slow-counting of the postal votes comes into effect

I said might. I very much doubt it.But some of the Republicans are already distancing themselves from Trump.

It will be interesting to see what happens if and when Biden becomes President. One thing's for sure, Trump is not going to be going away any time soon. Like him or loathe him, he certainly has a lot of support, so it will be interesting to see if the Republicans ditch him or stick with him. I'd be amazed, if he didn't run again next time, whether it be as a Republican or an Independent. I doubt he'll lose his large core supporter base and anticipate he will cause mayhem for Biden (and the Republicans, if they ditch him) over the next few years and spin the narrative of his perceived grievance and will probably be in the mix again in four years.

Largely agree with that. A shambles compounded by Covid. Glacial rate of counting votes and different rules in different states.

However, I' d still say it isn't suspicious. An addendum to my previous explanation for the change in votes in, say Pennsylvania compared to other states:
In Pennsylvania the authorities would not count votes until election day and counted those that voted on the day first, hence the swing over to Biden later.

In North Carolina we are not seeing that swing and no one is expecting Biden to catch up because they started counting the postal votes early. Hence Biden appeared to be doing well at first but won't get that late swing in his favour.

Further, in several States where there is a swing to Biden it is because they are counting the votes from the big cities which favour Biden, having already counted virtually all of the rural votes that tend to favour Trump.

So, a pretty shabby mess overall but not suspicious. Independent investigations over the years have found only minimal levels of vote rigging. It is much easier to cheat in the UK by the way.

Trump planned/intended to use this situation in advance and softened peopleup for his spurious excuses well in advance. As Bromley said, someof hisdisciples will believe absolutely anything he says.

Fortunately, some level headed Republicans are now putting their heads above the parapet and confirming that there is no scope for wide scale vote rigging.

Ps. Nice to see Trump getting support from the dodgy President of Belarus. Says it all.

already started due to a "software" glitch 6000 votes given by mistake to biden should have gone to Trump Just the tip of the iceberg. one week to 10 days things all will become clearer.