US Presidential election | Page 6 | Vital Football

US Presidential election

Trump wants to turn the US into Trump plc, and the presidency from an election to succession. He's refusal to answer legitimate questions by saying "fake news" or "nasty question" is disgraceful and undemocratic. The democrats, imo, have messed up again by chosing Biden. They needed a younger, more energetic candidate. Trump, sadly, will win and human rights will be trampled, especially for women. Whoever wins will have to deal with some serious public order problems.

I read an interesting piece this morning about a mixed race English couple who were dismayed about the direction of the U.K. so decided To move to what they thought was liberal Portland Oregan.
Two years later they are back, realising that the U.K. is one of the most tolerant societies around.

I read an interesting piece this morning about a mixed race English couple who were dismayed about the direction of the U.K. so decided To move to what they thought was liberal Portland Oregan.
Two years later they are back, realising that the U.K. is one of the most tolerant societies around.
It is easy to criticise the UK, from any political perspective, but, like you, I believe the UK is one of the most tolerant societies in the world. It isn't perfect and there are still issues, but who in their right mind would think that moving to the USA would improve their lot, especially non-whites.

" ........In lower Broadway stores are starting to put plywood protection over their windows in anticipation of civil unrest around Tuesday’s election!!! Of course there has been months of on and off protests and looting over BLM protests in NYC so the caution is probably appropriate, but?!
I heard on the radio recently “it’s going down. It doesn’t matter who gets elected, either way it’s going down . Get your gun and stock up on ammo , it’s going down.”.....
Someone else told me that all the stores in Florida are completely out of ammunition and that their father had to go to Georgia to buy ammo for a newly purchased gun to “ protect himself”...............

They didn't try to sue every newspaper in the UK in the meantime did they? :giggle:

Record gun and ammunition sales in the US is a sad and tragic consequence of aTrump presidency.
Whole cities are being boarded up, kids at universities are being told to stock up on a week's worth of food because of potential riots, and apartment blocks are banning guests from entering....because of an election in the country on the frontier of human progress. And bar some satire about it, nobody seems to be acknowledging how utterly mental that is.

Whole cities boarding up - sounds like a major sports trophy is about to be won in the US. American (and Canadian to a lesser extent) fans of cup winning sports teams celebrate in a very non-British way - the way we often react to defeat. Only in America.......

Let’s be grateful that our worst scenario is a few knuckle dragging far right wing thugs squaring up to a few knuckle dragging anti fascist thugs.
So far, no weapons.
Just curious why "anti-fascist thugs" rather than "far left thugs" ? ;)

p.s. I've still not met any "far right thugs".
Mostly because I meet very few "thugs" - but also because "far right" is never defined (other than "
that lot we disagree with").

I've met plenty of leftist "thugs" - but how "far" left is hard to gauge - as they are rarely articulate !

The trouble with defining left or right, where you place the centre.

Back to the election the high turn out will favour Biden, but it depends in which states have a high turnout. It's no good having a high turn out in New York or California as the are already safe Democrat states. They are needed in the so called fly over states, where Trump is strongest. Hillary was leading going into the last presidential election, and look what happened then.

The highest turn out will be in Colorado ;) , though some in Alaska might argue that. Of course, looking at it from a different perspective, there`s a large student population in California, so some there could also make a case for that honour :wack: .

Last edited: