US Presidential election | Page 5 | Vital Football

US Presidential election

It is pretty obvious the French do not want them there, patrolling a beach 25 miles long from Calais to Dunkirk from where the migrants leave, surely can't be hard to patrol and stop the those risking their lives by crossing the Channel.
Yes France should play a more active part in this ongoing refugee crisis and help facilitate a centre so that applicants can be screened by the UK authorities and at the same time make accommodation available similar to how we deal with them once arriving in the UK, rather than in plastic sheeting and tents in the present day Calais/Dunkirk camps.
They did that at Sandgatte but it was a disaster . Tens of thousands turned up and it became unmanageable.
It’s a difficult problem to overcome.

Whoah there cowboy!
You have forgotten chriswho’s poster girl, the Divine Miss Swinson.
She was a shoe in for PM according to her advisors.
Short memory 😂
Yes, good point Shotshy. I was appalled at her policy of totally ignoring the Brexit result even though I was pro remain myself. I have occasionally voted Lib Dem here in Orpington as a tactical move as they were the most likely to beat the Tories. Her decision ensured that I certainly wasn't going to vote for them however likely they were to win.

He is not a hero in my book but those trying to make a better/safer life could be well advised to stay in France rather than risk life and limb crossing the Channel, for one thing the food is better, the weather much more pleasant further south you go and they are part of the EU with all the benefits that we are constantly told we are going to miss come January.

...and now they would have the additional benefit of not being allowed out of their dwellings unless they "fill in a form to justify leaving their homes, as was required in the initial lockdown in March":
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54716993

You are only allowed to leave home for essential work or medical reasons? - No trips to the shops so there will be a lot of starvation about.

Not always, I would guess he also received his salary in the weeks he failed to score as United lost 3-1 at home to Palace (BBC rating 3.11/10) and 6-1 at home to Spurs, and paid as much of it to his agent as to the taxman.

Since England won the World Cup, I think only Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton and Geoff Hurst have ever been knighted. If Rashford gets it just because he has a high enough profile to make his statement into a cause that needs to be actioned by other people, it will prove what a joke the honours system has become.

Totally agree I know so many people that have dedicated decades to Charities / clubs, volunteering community work etc and don’t even get a kiss my arse, others such as Rashford (not knocking the cause) pop their head over the wall for one cause ( and yes he may have put effort into it ) gets the MBE and people say a Knighthood.

If he is still doing charitable work in 10 - 15 years time then by all means

Why the re
Not always, I would guess he also received his salary in the weeks he failed to score as United lost 3-1 at home to Palace (BBC rating 3.11/10) and 6-1 at home to Spurs, and paid as much of it to his agent as to the taxman.

Since England won the World Cup, I think only Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton and Geoff Hurst have ever been knighted. If Rashford gets it just because he has a high enough profile to make his statement into a cause that needs to be actioned by other people, it will prove what a joke the honours system has become.

Why the resentment of Rashford and who said he would be knighted. He has consistently performed far better at his job than Bunter and most of his cabinet. Many of them are far wealthier than Rashford and have strange tax planning arrangements. I'm more interested in Sunak's blind trusts than Rashford's agent.

Why the re

Why the resentment of Rashford and who said he would be knighted. He has consistently performed far better at his job than Bunter and most of his cabinet. Many of them are far wealthier than Rashford and have strange tax planning arrangements. I'm more interested in Sunak's blind trusts than Rashford's agent.
If Sunak has knowledge of the assets in a Blind Trust, then it’s not a Blind Trust.
Only the Trustees should have this knowledge.
It was once common place for protecting illegitimate children of the wealthy.

I agree about Rashford.
How could anyone condemn his actions or motivations?

You’re on to something. Politics needs an overhaul.

Pay them a market salary. PM should be earning millions, not thousands.

Scrap expense allowances, 2nd homes etc.

Ban earning of any secondary income.

That's the one that really annoys me. They aren't even 100% focussed on representing us.

I agree they should earn more but only if they earn it. Sitting there shouting and hollering and verbally attacking each other is not my definition of how leaders should act.

Is it the same in other Parliaments ?

I was reading an article this morning saying that many in Calais have travelled down from Germany.
They came in on the first wave when Germany welcomed Syrians. It’s estimated that two thirds of incoming migrants were not genuine Syrians and many are being forcibly removed from Germany.
Some are heading to the U.K. to try their luck.
The trafficers are literally making a killing.
It’s all very sad.
It would be good if France would give permission for the U.K. to open an asylum application centre that could fast track genuine applicants.

Have they stopped us ? I imagine France would like them processed and some accepted into the UK as well. I do wonder whether we don't want to open one as that might mean we have to accept more.

People often ask what is the attraction of the UK. Why risk everything to get here ?

I guess many have a grasp of the language. Given our colonial past many might feel a link to here or already have family here that would help them.

Or is it the "cash in hand" jobs market we have ?

Can anyone name a country in the EU who does actually want them ?

Not many* countries WANT migrants VG but its more about whether we should help and support fellow Human beings leaving worn torn countries for safety.

I accept that some of economic migrants who are looking for better prospects. "Evil" people for wanting that eh, but some are genuinely fleeing worn torn places. WE had a role in destabilising and destroying their countries so we might not WANT them but we might have a human responsibility to do our bit.

Have a watch of "once upon a time in Iraq" to see what chaos we delivered as part of our modern crusade to deliver them democracy.

*The only one that springs to mind was the German Gaestearbeiter (Turkish) after the war to power their economic redevelopment. We might need some to help with agricultural work though unless the Brits step up next year.

Last edited:
It turns out that the cliché that they all want to come to the UK is false. Most want to and do settle elsewhere. France stops large numnbers from coming over the channel too. We take fewer asylum seekers pro rata than most European countries and the real problem is the absence of a process for individuals to have their asylum claims processed swiftly and effectively but that doesn't grab the attention like the myths do.

It turns out that the cliché that they all want to come to the UK is false. Most want to and do settle elsewhere. France stops large numnbers from coming over the channel too. We take fewer asylum seekers pro rata than most European countries and the real problem is the absence of a process for individuals to have their asylum claims processed swiftly and effectively but that doesn't grab the attention like the myths do.
Can’t argue with any of that. 😉
The Eu have got their immigration policy well sussed and process claims quickly.
Just ask Greece, Italy and Malta.
The immigrants are obviously chuffed to bits living in camps for literally years.

Can’t argue with any of that. 😉
The Eu have got their immigration policy well sussed and process claims quickly.
Just ask Greece, Italy and Malta.
The immigrants are obviously chuffed to bits living in camps for literally years.

There is a worlwide migration crisis and no country is managing the situation perfectly. All the countries you list receive more than we do pro rata. Greece is proposing to speed up applications though naturally there is opposition. It receives the highest number of any European country per head of population. People wait years in France to enter the UK and people wait years here in prison like conditions. We are the only European country that does not have a time limit on detentions. It's a sorry tale all over.

There is a worlwide migration crisis and no country is managing the situation perfectly. All the countries you list receive more than we do pro rata. Greece is proposing to speed up applications though naturally there is opposition. It receives the highest number of any European country per head of population. People wait years in France to enter the UK and people wait years here in prison like conditions. We are the only European country that does not have a time limit on detentions. It's a sorry tale all over.
I’m not sure that it is a world wide crisis.
It’s a western crisis because it’s only going one way.
In to Europe.
In to North America.

There is not much inward migration anywhere else.
No queues of people lining up to get into Africa or Asia, is there ?

Why the re

I have no resentment of Rashford specifically. It is more the idiot public that are lauding what he has done, when as far as I am aware he just gave one interview stating that some kids are so poor that they sometimes go hungry in the school holidays, as he did.

Although that is terrible, I doubt whether anyone was that surprised and as Rashford has now been a Premier League Footballer on massive money for at least four years, his situation as a child must have been many years ago.

So why has he decided during a pandemic, when neither the living wage nor any benefits have been reduced, to put pressure on the Government to shell out extra taxpayers money (not Bozza's money, Sunak's money or his money) on a situation that has existed for so long?

Last edited:
I’m not sure that it is a world wide crisis.
It’s a western crisis because it’s only going one way.
In to Europe.
In to North America.

There is not much inward migration anywhere else.
No queues of people lining up to get into Africa or Asia, is there ?

Really there are shotshy, Uganda receives one of the highest number of migrants. Jordan, Bangladesh there are many less well off countries welcoming many more than us. It is a worldwide problem driven by war, oppression and environmental degradation.

It's not too bad in Poland , Hungary etc.

Why don't you try migrating there? Hungary receives more applications pro rata than we do and both countries are riven by racism and extremism. No sign of contentment there and we receive those who flee their systems.

Trump wants to turn the US into Trump plc, and the presidency from an election to succession. He's refusal to answer legitimate questions by saying "fake news" or "nasty question" is disgraceful and undemocratic. The democrats, imo, have messed up again by chosing Biden. They needed a younger, more energetic candidate. Trump, sadly, will win and human rights will be trampled, especially for women. Whoever wins will have to deal with some serious public order problems.