US Presidential election | Page 4 | Vital Football

US Presidential election

We didn't do much better, Corbyn and Johnson.

Can we have the New Zealand PM please?
Couldn't afford her wages unless we got PS to negotiate! Seriously though the PM in our country is paid peanuts given the level of responsibility and if you pay peanuts.........

Couldn't afford her wages unless we got PS to negotiate! Seriously though the PM in our country is paid peanuts given the level of responsibility and if you pay peanuts.........

Allowing for sponsorship, I would be pretty sure that Saint Marcus Rashford earns more in a week than Bozza does in a year.

Strange though that MR never seems to suggest making a donation to match what he wants the Government to pay out of taxpayers money.

Low blow.
He’s an admirable young man in my opinion.
In addition, many footballers contribute large sums of money to "worthy" causes without publicising it. Rashford may be one such person. Of course maybe he doesn't but GBN's post seemed to assume he doesn't.

Finally, provided he pays his taxes fairly and doesn't use these dodgy avoidance vehicles then he is paying for lots of school meals.

I agree that our PM's are paid a ludicrously low sum for the responsibility.

NZ PM about £235k pa. and much smaller population, so correct.

Where our politicians (and PM's) really benefit is all the sidelines and extras plus being paid a fortune on leaving office to deliver talks/lectures around the world, regardless of their ability, it seems. Blair is a classic case and even May's cashing in (somehow).

Low blow.
He’s an admirable young man in my opinion.

How is that low? During a time when lots of backroom staff are being made redundant and taking pay cuts, and clubs have no revenue from fans, I have not heard a single Premier League player offering to take any form of pay cut. Just the odd deferral.

They have a national platform purely due to their profile doing a job we would all like to do, so it is no effort for them to use it to call for the government to use the funds you and I pay in taxes in a certain way.

All I have seen is him take about 5 minutes to transfer one crate from one vehicle to another. Not heard a single thing about him donating a halfpenny. Have you?

Still, the mass hypnosis will probably get him a knighthood to go with his MBE.

In addition, many footballers contribute large sums of money to "worthy" causes without publicising it. Rashford may be one such person. Of course maybe he doesn't but GBN's post seemed to assume he doesn't.

And you are assuming he does.

One easy way of donating without being accused of being flash would be to ask the government to match a donation figure he has made.

To be fair to Raheem Sterling, he has just created a foundation and started it off with £1 million.

Something he can easily afford, but much more admirable.

Match a figure Rashford makes. Are you for real. How many millions do you think Rashford makes for a matching sum to cover fsm's?

Rashford scored a hat trick last night so seems to be doing the job he is paid to do. Would that certain others were equally effective in theirs.

You’re on to something. Politics needs an overhaul.

Pay them a market salary. PM should be earning millions, not thousands.

Scrap expense allowances, 2nd homes etc.

Ban earning of any secondary income.

You’re on to something. Politics needs an overhaul.

Pay them a market salary. PM should be earning millions, not thousands.

Scrap expense allowances, 2nd homes etc.

Ban earning of any secondary income.
I like that idea but unfortunately I can still see them making a fortune afterwards with these "consultancies". A classic example is Failing Grayling being paid thousands as an advisor after being abject but used because of his connections.

Funny how some folks opinions are quoted as facts despite being based on other folks opinions. Yet the opinions of those they argue with are mere opinions because they quote those who they don't politically agree with!
Nigel Farage for example, rants about uncontrolled immigration and yet it is an undisputed fact that the UK takes in a smaller percentage of refugees and asylum seekers than almost every other European country. However, his publicity machine has him bobbing up and down in the channel pointing out to sea at occasional tiny boats of desperate people trying to get to a better/safer life. This makes him a quotable hero to some but a self serving, villain to others.

Rashford scored a hat trick last night so seems to be doing the job he is paid to do. Would that certain others were equally effective in theirs.

Not always, I would guess he also received his salary in the weeks he failed to score as United lost 3-1 at home to Palace (BBC rating 3.11/10) and 6-1 at home to Spurs, and paid as much of it to his agent as to the taxman.

Since England won the World Cup, I think only Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton and Geoff Hurst have ever been knighted. If Rashford gets it just because he has a high enough profile to make his statement into a cause that needs to be actioned by other people, it will prove what a joke the honours system has become.

Last edited:
ut to sea at occasional tiny boats of desperate people trying to get to a better/safer life. This makes him a quotable hero to some but a self serving,
He is not a hero in my book but those trying to make a better/safer life could be well advised to stay in France rather than risk life and limb crossing the Channel, for one thing the food is better, the weather much more pleasant further south you go and they are part of the EU with all the benefits that we are constantly told we are going to miss come January.

He is not a hero in my book but those trying to make a better/safer life could be well advised to stay in France rather than risk life and limb crossing the Channel, for one thing the food is better, the weather much more pleasant further south you go and they are part of the EU with all the benefits that we are constantly told we are going to miss come January.
I was reading an article this morning saying that many in Calais have travelled down from Germany.
They came in on the first wave when Germany welcomed Syrians. It’s estimated that two thirds of incoming migrants were not genuine Syrians and many are being forcibly removed from Germany.
Some are heading to the U.K. to try their luck.
The trafficers are literally making a killing.
It’s all very sad.
It would be good if France would give permission for the U.K. to open an asylum application centre that could fast track genuine applicants.

It is pretty obvious the French do not want them there, patrolling a beach 25 miles long from Calais to Dunkirk from where the migrants leave, surely can't be hard to patrol and stop the those risking their lives by crossing the Channel.
Yes France should play a more active part in this ongoing refugee crisis and help facilitate a centre so that applicants can be screened by the UK authorities and at the same time make accommodation available similar to how we deal with them once arriving in the UK, rather than in plastic sheeting and tents in the present day Calais/Dunkirk camps.