Update from Evans | Vital Football

Update from Evans

Good interview and good to hear the honest thoughts of SE. I'm not sure I agree with his view on Fuller, as while BF is not the most talented and or the most skilful you know what you're going to get and while there were occasions/games he wasn't at his usual reliable self, I'd still have put him in the top five of consistent performers over the season.

SE has said that every penny is going to have to be used wisely next season (whenever that starts) but the one thing we do know is that BF in his time here has missed very few games and we're going to need players who are available to play regularly next season more than ever. SE said in an RK interview that BF needed to be exceptional at his age to get a new deal but as someone mentioned on twitter SE was telling us Willock is an exceptional talent, but we haven't seen it. That type of exceptional is going to be no good to us going forward.

Be interesting to see what comes of the meetings over the next few weeks and if there is going to be more of a cull or something more positive 're budget going forward. The "younger squad next season" quote is a nicer way of saying cheaper. Understandable I guess given the circumstances.

Last edited:
Agree.
Good interview without umms and arhhs and relatively cliche free
He’s changed my mind about him

I am convinced that nearly all League One squads will be younger next season (whenever that is). It's not just that young players are cheaper individually because they command smaller salaries. They can be offered and are usually in a position to accept shorter contracts. This model exists in most leagues below the top across Europe and even extends into some top league teams.

I'm biased as Baz is my favourite current Gills player, but I disagree with SE saying he wants people more hungry than Barry.

If you could bottle & sell his attitude and commitment you would make a fortune.

Evans said he was surprised that Barry was given a player triggered option.
I believe that the club were looking at some sort of coaching role.

SE also mentioned that a club has been back in with a bid for either Jack or Conor- I bet they are lowballing us now what with the current economic situation.

The key next season is getting a squad full of competition for places. BF has already proved that he's up for that challenge. Yes we might get an individual with more quality and who's younger/ cheaper or with more potential sell on value but we also need consistency and players that play games, not spend time out injured, which younger players seem to do.

Didn't SE say pretty much the same thing about BF last summer and brought in Hodson? Think BF will see this as a challenge. If he does move on, thanks Bas for your service and good luck.

I'm biased as Baz is my favourite current Gills player, but I disagree with SE saying he wants people more hungry than Barry.

If you could bottle & sell his attitude and commitment you would make a fortune.

Did he actually say “hungrier than Baz”? I didn’t hear that. He did say “young and hungry players”.

And if Steve is honest in how he said it played out then good on him. If Barry is the type of player who said “give it to me straight” and Steve said “we’ll, we’d like to go younger and you’ll struggle for a game” then that’s good by both parties. And the club is in a win-win. If Baz stays and ends up playing then you know he’ll be at his very best.

Overall I thought it was an excellent interview. And if somehow Evans and Scally can engineer a squad for next season that is better than last seasons, we will do more than ok. Let’s see what they can conjure up.