Up-skirting | Page 2 | Vital Football

Up-skirting

Upskirting or Libel - which is worse ?

Imagine being publically, but wrongly described as a thief, fraudster, rapist, drunk-driver, racist, homophobe - or even upskirter.

You could lose your job or even be arrested.
Surely victims should be able to get redress without having to prove their innocence (i.e. libel is the reverse of normal law)

What's the worst that could happen from upskirting?
Embarassment?
(But in how many cases can the victim be identified?)

Upskirting is wrong.
It is boorish, crass, crude and puerile - and perpetrators should be condemned and shunned.....
But should it be a crime ?

What needs to be discussed ? Should it be a criminal offence to use a camera to attempt to take a photograph or video of someones bits without their permission.

It will be interesting to see what changes following the discussion and debate.

Time that could have been spent on other more complex issues in my view.

Mark - I think we’re all a little naive about law that goes on the statute book.

What I do know from my experience of tax law is that quite often decisions are often decided on the most minute details of the wording of the legislation. For example, I have seen that the omission of a 2 letter word or a missing comma can completely change the interpretation of the tax law.

This is not (as you might perceive) an argument to defend the perpetrators of upskirting. This is important for justice to be served both for the perpetrator and the victim. Rigorous law is needed to ensure that those guilty of such an offence face the full weight of the law. It is also needed to ensure that those who are wrongly accused of such an offence do not face a custodial sentence.

The law would be to cover any under the clothing pictures as the follow up is that the pictures are shared online generally amongst people that know the victim. Currently the broken law would be a cyber one and not a sex offence which this is. It is no less an offence that a physical assault as it can cost even more in emotional and suicidal conditions.

If it was your daughter treated like this would you just tell her - thats life?