University | Vital Football

University

D

Departed

Rex Murphy: The modern university risks becoming a cocoon of self-indulgence and anti-intellectualism

Rex Murphy | March 27, 2015 | Last Updated: Mar 28 1:09 PM ET

The universities, under the banner of hollow diversity and the even more hollow and self-contradictory banner of tolerance, are mutating into thought-suppressing machines.

Lighthouses of reason, or beacons of folly? Which more readily applies to some modern universities? If you have been happy enough to read a New Statesman piece recently, there would be little hesitation in opting for the latter. The column discussed that only-in-a-university puffball of a controversy over The Vagina Monologues. The VM, for those fortunate enough not to have heard of it, is an Eve Ensler opus/art project that offers soliloquizing genitals as an avenue to feminist empowerment, a concept kitten-cute in all its daring and originality. Not surprisingly, it’s been a huge hit on all sorts of enlightened campuses, its combination of vulgarity and Spice Girls feminism being a sure winner with those wishing to storm the barricades of privilege from a front-row seat.

The New Statesman piece contained this jewel of progressive reporting: “A U.S. women’s college recently announced it would be discontinuing its annual performance of The Vagina Monologues: it’s exclusionary to talk about vaginas when some women do not have one.”

The “women” in question were, by all the ancient indications we have so sturdily relied upon until the blaze of reason started to flicker and dim, men. But the men — on whose behalf students at the all-women university in question, Mount Holyoke, were protesting — were identifying (this is the term of art) as women, but had not yet “transitioned.” They were still, as it were, biologically on the other side of the fence. As was explained by the theatre board that cancelled Ms. Ensler’s vaginal ventriloquism:

“At its core, the show offers an extremely narrow perspective on what it means to be a woman … Gender is a wide and varied experience, one that cannot simply be reduced to biological or anatomical distinctions, and many of us who have participated in the show have grown increasingly uncomfortable presenting material that is inherently reductionist and exclusive.”
And there you have it. Biological and anatomical distinctions are described by the highly progressive as offering “extremely” narrow perspectives on what it means to be a man or a woman. And they make some people “uncomfortable.” If you were fortunate enough right now to be standing over George Orwell’s grave in the sweet garden of the churchyard at Sutton Courtenay, Oxfordshire, you would hear, piercing the roar of his revolving corpse, a plaintive, despairing voice crying out: “Bury me deeper. Now. Please.”

Related
White students barred from meeting at Ryerson University because they were not ‘racialized’
Barbara Kay: Universities are teaching students what to think, not how to think
Literally, you could multiply the instances of silly thinking and foolish actions by the hundredfold that now burden universities across the West, as the institutions that have carried the light of intellect from the earliest days of Athens, through the Renaissance, right to our present day, have surrendered to every passing fad and fancy of ever-more trivial and mentally bankrupt causes. Such as the Occupy the Syllabus farce at the University of California at Berkeley, which lamented the presence of such feeble intellects as Socrates, Aristotle, Hobbes, Locke and Hegel in a course, they being that terrible triune of white, dead and male.

What is more dismal than the modern campus, with its litany of “safe spaces,” its protection from offence, its bleats about micro-aggressions, the chatter of white privilege and the spate of hysteria over the “rape culture?” The new model of the university risks becoming a cocoon of self-indulgence and actual anti-intellectualism. Administrators, in particular, take a craven posture before any challenge that might land them in the minefields of identity or gender politics.

The universities are running a risky race
The universities, under the banner of hollow diversity and the even more hollow and self-contradictory banner of tolerance, are mutating into thought-suppressing machines. Any flag raised in the name of identity or marginalization has them prostrate in anxiety and fear. The idea of undergraduate life as a rooting out of intellectual predispositions, of history as anything but a huge case file of oppression, of testing minds as opposed to flattering feelings, is lost.

Read & Debate

fbFind Full Comment on Facebook
The universities are running a risky race. The more they quiver before the onslaught of the cause-mongers, refuse to take clear and bold stands against protest intimidation tactics, they more they lose their centuries-old prestige. It is a situation that should concern everybody. The ability to think clearly, and the absorption of the best that has been thought and said, have given the world all the moral and scientific progress — real progress — it has ever known. As universities become more and more the willing hostages of the anti-thought brigades, the more they will diminish in both esteem and worth.

National Post

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/03/27/rex-murphy-the-modern-university-risks-becoming-a-cocoon-of-self-indulgence-and-anti-intellectualism/

This is timely.......

Rex Murphy: University Administrators and real professors should take note: every brain needs a spine

November 14, 2015

The most recent reports say there is a crisis in child services in the United States. The cost of daycare spaces has reached absolutely astronomic levels. Placement at the University of Missouri, for example, easily breaks the $40,000 threshold. And if your toddler is lucky enough to squeeze into Yale, which has some of the most craven caregivers, the most swaddled cocoons and safe spaces on the continent, it will set you back a minimum $60,000. But hey, if you want the very best day care for the intellectually infantile at any of the top Institutes of Higher Whining, that’s why God gave you noses — so you could pay through them.

Parents are rightly grieved. “The fees are unbelievable,” said one parent. “And then there’s the cost of bubble wrap, organically-sourced pacifiers, printing out the tidal surge of trigger-warnings, the personal grievance manual (Why I’m Angry and Acting Out, Today) and the escalating costs of updating the daily identity politics kit. And of course the helicopter rides to check on little Brent or Stephanie, they really hit the home budget.”

It’s sad, but the Higher Whining and Advanced Fatuousness of American campus life takes a lot of mommy and daddy’s moola.

It is nearly impossible not to have heard of the intensely ridiculous and outrageous mischiefs currently being played out on some of America’s (deliriously self-described) institutions of higher learning. Episodes at Yale and the University of Missouri (Mizzou) over the last few weeks challenge all satire. If Jonathan Swift — and I do not think there is a single protestor at Yale or Mizzou who knows anything about him, except that he is dead and was white) — were around today, he would curl up in a fetal ball at the impossibility of mocking a reality so pathetically stupid that it is mock-proof.

Related
*Robyn Urback: Why we should absolutely admonish anti-free speech activists on campus
*Jen Gerson: Don’t fear the college student

Yale campus was rocked by the mere anticipation of what some people might wear — might — at a Halloween party. Next an unwary female lecturer committed the crime of sending an email saying essentially … hey, if you do see a Halloween costume you don’t like, let it go. It’s just a campus party.

That email set off a volume of outrage that puts to shame, in substance and waft, even Montreal’s epic 8-billion litre flush into the pristine waters of the St. Lawrence this week. The lecturer’s professor husband — not her, her husband — was then “challenged” by a mob of snowflakes (the term of art here) over her email for his insensitivity, his callousness and disregard for the new Mosaic tablets of Inclusion and Diversity.

The climax came from one truly precious second-year student — this is Yale remember — who screamed at him ,“Be quiet! … Who the f—k hired you? … Why the f—k did you accept the position? … How do you sleep at night. You disgust me.”

I won’t recap at length the equal insanity, the presidential resignations, the assault on a student reporter, that went on a Mizzou — it’s everywhere in the news and online. But I note that the loudest, crudest, and most hostile voice at their demonstration belonged to a university staff member, a beautifully named Ms. M. Click, lecturer, who’s C.V., whose resume, whose credentials (I’m sorry, Mr. Swift) include: musings on the dark side Thomas the Tank Engine, and “‘More drinkin’, less thinkin’, fewer teeth, and beer’: Representations of class in CMT’s My Big Redneck Wedding.” The rest of her professorial oeuvre consists of “readings” of Taylor Swift, Martha Stewart, and Fifty Shades of Grey, with a promise of work on “subjectivities” in Little Orphan Annie.

(For those wondering: Why, yes, she’s a lecturer of Advanced Feminist Studies.)

The professors and administrators at the universities who do not mock, dismiss and, if necessary, expel those who stage these tantrums are unworthy of the positions they hold
Space forbids a full dissection of this turmoil and madness. American higher education, on the Humanities side, and in particular in those dubiously academic innovational “disciplines” centring on Identity, Race, Gender, and the crapulous White Privilege categories, are blights of the mind. They are transmuting portions of university life (Science is saved by its commitment to reality) into slenderly disguised kindergartens for intolerant narcissists. That the incessant calls for “safe spaces” and “free speech zones” and “freedom from offence” are the wails of people who have forgotten, if they ever had a inking, of its meaning what education at a university is supposed to be about.

The professors and administrators at the universities who do not mock, dismiss and, if necessary, expel those who stage these tantrums are unworthy of the positions they hold in a system that once was the envy of the world. Administrators and real professors should take note: every brain needs a spine.

Finally, every North American student with a trigger warning mentality should, for just one day, walk to school with an Afghan girl of 10. She could teach them a whole lot about safe spaces, real courage, and how sacred the regard for true education should be.

National Post
http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/rex-murphy-university-administrators-and-real-professors-should-take-note-every-brain-needs-a-spine

WHY can't Universities be simply a place where people who want to study a certain subject to the depth that they want to, admittedly 'free-wheeling' on the subject at times, guided by those that are expert in their field but getting more useful data for the whole world's future. AND in the bargain, get a great job when they've finished their course.

Unfortunately many young people are being 'let loose' to try out any unsavoury social patterns that they happen to come in contact with at these places, where 'no holds barred' behaviour rules and education takes second place.

I wonder when the cure for cancer would have been found if medical schools/Universities were more serious places of learning. And before you ask, my daughter is a senior registrar surgeon and my son in law is a GP, and my other 2 children both went through Cardiff, Bristol and Cambridge, so I have many tales of what goes on, under my belt.

We just need to get back to plain education and cut out all the wasted time and wasted lives. OBVIOUSLY we need free speech but since when did we get it in universities? When you join, you get signed up for political parties and all sorts of 'extras' that don't contribute to your 'subject'.

Yet as tax payers, we pay good money to so called 'better' our country with superior learning that is meant to enhance our economy and everyone's welfare. When will society get its reward for all we've paid out?

I know thousands of Africans who would LOVE to have a chance at higher education and could rise to it too and make good contributions to the world. Will they get the chance? No, but tens of thousands of half interested students here and elsewhere will, just because they got nearly enough grades in school to do 'useful? subjects'.

Stephen Frampton: ‘I am too privileged to be liberal’

Stephen Frampton, National Post | November 16, 2015 9:08 AM ET
More from National Post

“I don’t agree that you, when you become students at colleges, have to be coddled and protected from different points of view.”
— U.S. President Barack Obama

I am the epitome of the contemporary privileged liberal: a 23-year-old straight, white, male university student from a middle-class family of teachers who plays golf.

I follow Bernie Sanders on Facebook (#feelthebern) and, despite being straight, I have a bit of a crush on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. I sympathize with indigenous people, support affirmative action, criticize nationalism, I’m critical of the monarchy, an avid “Movember” participant, skeptical of pipelines, youthful to the point of naive and, to top it all off, a feminist. How could it be possible that I feel uncomfortable expressing my views on a liberal, middle class campus like the University of Victoria?

The answer: if a privileged individual like myself accidentally offends someone who is “coddled and protected from different points of view,” then I am seen as insensitive, irresponsible and borderline bigoted.

This was not a pipeline, a mine or a sweeping change to the Indian Act. This was a conference.
For example, I helped organize a political science conference titled, Discourses on Sovereignty: Land, Bodies and Borders. We applied for $6,000 from the University of Victoria Student Society (UVSS) to put a down payment on the hotel we were planning to use. The deal appeared done. All that was left was approval from the UVSS board. The only obstacle was the Native Student Union (NSU), which had qualms about the title and wanted to hear from a representative of our conference. Our representative made a presentation the next day and, according to UVic’s student-run newspaper, the NSU “could not condone funding a conference on sovereignty when nobody involved in the planning reached out to indigenous groups on campus for their consent.”

The rest of the board folded like a house of cards and voted unanimously to revoke the funding. There was no precedent for this. No conference or event that received UVSS funding had ever had to consult First Nations. Did this mean that all future events must have the consent of First Nations? This was not a pipeline, a mine or a sweeping change to the Indian Act. This was a conference.

Given the apparent influence of the NSU on the board’s vote, the native students had effectively gained a veto on funding allocation. They could claim to be “harmed” and risk no backlash because of the UVSS’s religious dedication to not offending the “coddled and protected” students my university is creating with actions like this.

At UVic, there is no such thing as a Christmas party, only a holiday party. When advertising pub crawls in classrooms, we must not reference alcohol in any way and we must refer to our events as “functions” (admittedly this gave rise to the great phrase, “I functioned so hard last night”). I was told to put away shirts that depicted King Henry VIII with the caption, “It’s all in the execution,” because there were complaints that they “perpetuated the patriarchy and promoted colonialism.”

The UVSS received criticism because it showed the Robin Williams classic about the cross-dressing Mrs. Doubtfire in its campus cinema, as it apparently offended representatives from UVic Pride. At a UVic abortion debate, radical feminist protesters came in and disrupted the exchange for 20 minutes in an attempt to end the debate. After that was quelled, the pro-choice advocate, an eminent ethics professor, proceeded to thoroughly rout the person arguing the pro-life perspective.

At universities around the world, conservative speakers are denied the opportunity to speak due to their views being unpalatable to those with political views like my own. Sadly, my political kin seek to silence oppositional voices rather than come to a resolution with them.

In short, my peers are so inclusive that they’ve become exclusive. We’ve become so insulated to offence and harm that the space for critical thinking and the intellectual meeting of minds is occupied increasingly by “safe spaces.”

Read & Debate

fbFind Full Comment on Facebook
As a white, straight, middle-class male, I feel that I cannot contribute to the conversation that clearly needs to happen. If I do, it must to be with the utmost political tact. The very act of writing this will probably condemn me to the annals of bigotry, largely because of the privileged nature of my existence.

I suspect there are many skeptics, so please try this exercise: Imagine that I had identified as an indigenous student instead of the privileged picture I described in the first paragraph. Would you read this differently? Now pretend I had identified as a black woman at the beginning. Would you read this differently? Picture a transgendered man as the author of this. Would you read this differently?

I suspect you would. Leading to the conclusion: I am too privileged to be liberal.

National Post

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/stephen-frampton-i-am-too-privileged-to-be-liberal

I think the hard thing to take is that we see some person doing some job that is highly paid and everyone looks up to them but we all know that many of them have been complete p**s heads for many years, paid for by our taxes. Do I begrudge them it? Oddly, no but I do wish they had used their time to fuller effect and enriched our society and the world more.

We need to focus our students more and find ways of encouraging them in their subjects.

America is a weird one though. They get pretty uppity when you say something bad regarding Christianity...or try to put evolution on the agenda. it's improved a lot, but 10-15 years ago it was atrocious.

I think this is an American phenomenon amongst American universities

Gimme a break. All universities are getting like that. Globally.