United 2 Norwich 1 - report | Vital Football

United 2 Norwich 1 - report

Deadbat_DB

Vital Squad Member
The Blades made it back to back wins as they got their first win at the Lane with a late, late winner to beat Norwich City. United had taken the lead thanks to a John Egan header that was adjudged to have just crossed the line but were pegged back when Owls loanee Jordan Rhodes scored. The second half saw United control things but an officiating error saw City in and Dean Henderson made a crucial save. The visitors also hit the post soon after but the home side regained their composure and kept plugging away and late reward came when Sharp bundled home in the final minute of stoppage time to win the game.

United had made changes from the last league game with one enforced with Duffy being declared unfit due to illness and Woodburn making his first league start. United also opted to go with Basham O’Connell and Egan at the back as Norwood made his league bow for the Blades too. He partnered Fleck in the heart of midfield. Norwich had Jordan Rhodes up top and also featured dangerman Abel Hernandez who has scored 2 and assisted on 3 other goals. Manager Daniel Farke stood on the side-line overseeing his sides performance, perhaps misjudging the Sheffield sunshine as he was adorned in a large rain jacket!

United began on top with Norwood dictating play and Fleck busy. Woodburn won a corner with Sharp lurking. O’Connell won two key tackles and Egan also came onto a key header as United forced the pace. Fleck had a shot wide and then from a corner the ball was cleared. Stevens and Freeman were also looking to attack at every chance and pin the dangerous wing man Norwich possessed back into their own half. In the 9th minute they went ahead from a corner, Norwood took it and his delivery was headed downward by EGAN and despite being hacked away it seemed clear it was over the line. A quick look at his watch and referee Bond signalled it was over the line and the celebrations ensued to mark the first goal for the new signing.

Norwich had offered little but Pukki hit a shot over when drifting inside. City gradually came back into it and Rhodes headed wide from a corner. The visitors were coming back into the game but United seemed to be having most of the ball. Fleck again found Stevens whose cross was blocked and then Clarke was nearly in on a cute ball from Norwood.

Norwich had not really threatened much but suddenly they were level after a rare attack to stun the home side. Hernandez went one way and then the other drawing Basham out of position before squaring into the box and RHODES swept the ball in. His celebrations in front of the United Kop were perhaps to be expected as he held his hands aloft and cupped his ears to the annoyance of the home fans.

United tried to respond and after Woodburn made space and crossed, Clarke was in but his effort was saved from point blank range which summed up the big striker’s luck so far this season. Pukki was then booked for a crude foul on Sharp not long before the break.

At half time Wilder made a change replacing the ineffective Woodburn with Leonard who went straight into midfield.

United started the better again but Krul saved from O’Connell’s effort at the far post and then Klose had a header wide at the other end. Stevens got in well again but his cross evaded everyone. McGoldrick then came on for Freeman, as Basham went wide right as the Blades manager showed his attacking intentions.

Just over the hour mark, Norwich were in on goal after a fortunate ricochet but it seemed a mile offside but the attacker was inexplicably allowed to go on and with men either side Leitner opted to go alone but Henderson stood up big and made a terrific reaction save. Soon after this poor defending saw Rhodes flick his header goalward but onto the post and Pukki blazed over.

Buoyed by these let offs, United came onto the offensive again. Leonard header over when he really should have scored from a Norwood corner and then another delivery from the same man saw Egan head narrowly wide. United were now the side looking the more likely and Sharp was in on the angle and chipped goalward but it was scrambled clear. City were getting deeper and deeper and United won another corner. City gained a free kick and a chance for an unlikely winner but Marshall’s effort was poor and hit the wall. The game entered three minutes of stoppage time and the home side pushed forward once again. The additional time was ending when Basham sent a deep cross over which McGoldrick turned back into the box and the predatory SHARP was on hand to turn home. The players celebrated in front of a jubilant Kop to salute the vital late goal. The scorer came off for Stearman almost immediately and Norwich sent one final ball forward but it was cleared and Clarke almost fed McGoldrick for another before the final whistle came seconds later.

United – We deserved to win today and it may have come late but it was a fair score overall. A vital win and great scenes on the late goal. First half I felt we were better and scored and then had other chances but they scored out of the blue and then it became scrappy. Second half was kind of similar. We were the better team and the stats show on possession, chances, corners etc, we had much more of the game but at times struggled in the final third. Still we had enough chances really with Egan, Clarke and Sharp all close and numerous balls across the box.

I actually felt the change in us going for it disjointed us a bit and I am normally all for going for the win but we ended up with 3 attackers and lost some ground in the middle. Basham going wide helped us restore the momentum. Still, we had an almighty let off when they went through and Henderson made a superb save when they were 3 on 1! It was clearly offside. Soon after though more poor defending and they hit the post and then smashed the rebound over.

We came back after this and got control again. We started to pin them back and had a number of half, if not clear chances. Still you felt like the game was up until the late drama with Billy on the spot to get the crucial winner. After all the games last year at home (Norwich, Villa, Bristol City, Cardiff, Millwall etc) where we had controlled the games but conceded silly goals or late on; it felt like a bit of justice.

It was not perfect today and the performance became a bit scrappy just before the break and for a spell second half. Negatives I would detail we would be that it seemed we lost our shape and the 3 forwards did not always work really but, in the end, I suppose it did work in terms of bodies in the box, McGoldrick assisting for Sharp.

I felt there were some things we could do better as we took too long to move it on at times and the build-up was a bit slow but at times we showed good interchange and play amongst this. Woodburn did not make much impact and Clarke still is very hit and miss for me and still to score. I also felt at the back we were caught ball watching a few times with runners and this was evidenced on the goal and a few other openings.

The positives were that Henderson again made a crucial save. The wing backs did ok; especially the much-maligned Stevens. I also felt Egan had another improved game. Mainstays O’Connell and Fleck got back to the standards they have set and Norwood carried on from the week. The front line was ok but still too static for me but Clarke and Sharp at least kept plugging away and Sharp showed how dangerous he is in terms of poaching goals.

It was nice for us to win a game at the end instead of lose one which has happened too often since we came up. If we had drawn, 4 points from 12 would not have been great but now 6 points and back to back wins and the poor start is kind of forgotten. Bolton have had a good start but are due a slip up and we should go there with confidence next week. We still need a striker and it seems Johnson may come up to give us options wide left when Boro get another player or so in. Overall, things are a lot more positive than they were just over a week ago. The last-minute winning feeling is something that never grows old and was great to do it against a team we have had history with recently. As I say, not a classic performance but we did enough to win in the end; albeit it happening right at the end!

Norwich – I said that they had lost a few key players in the summer in Maddison and Gunn and that they would be nearer the bottom than the top and I stand by that. Krull is a decent keeper and Rhodes as proved today can get goals at this level but they lack quality from back to front. They have some big defensive units and some functional players and a few bits of talent if a little unpredictable in Hernandez, Marshall and Pukki but not sure they have enough to be anywhere higher than mid table and that is at best. Today they went behind and were struggling but then kind of got a goal out of nothing with first real attack. After this I felt they offered little. They had two unbelievable chances but the first was clearly offside but they hit the post soon after. They were always seemingly looking to the point after this and other than free kick near the end they were defending and seemed content with their lot. It is ironic after last year that we scored so late on. I am not sure they time wasted at all this year really. A few moments of ‘cramp’ but the game was kind of evenly poised even if we were looking the more likely (aside from that double chance). They lacked pace and power really in key areas and I felt ceded a lot of the ball. They kind of retreated more and more second half and should have tried to attack more. They had that double chance but after this I am not sure they even tried to attack and the changes they were made seemed to be to hang onto the point. In the end their negative approach got what it deserved. The manger Farke could walk off with his rain coat on (really in the baking hot weather) taking absolutely nothing back to East Anglia. Bit of justice after some of last season’s ridiculous shenanigans.

Opposition Man of the Match: There was no player that was brilliant. Rhodes scored a poacher’s goal made by Hernandez who did well. Both of these were fairly quiet though. I felt the two centre backs headed and cleared things but the lad Tettey who seems to have been there for a while, stood out. He worked really hard and chased across to cover ground. I felt he was the one player who really dug in second half.

Opposition Weak link: Heard good things about the lad Pukki but felt he flitted in and out of the game and missed a really good chance when they hit the post and it came back to him. The two wide lads also left a lot of space for United’s players to run into.

Henderson 7.5/10 - Did not have a great deal to do. Little chance on the goal as once again he was left badly exposed. Second half though made a superb save as they broke to be effectively 3 on 1. It was clearly offside but a crucial save as he stood up tall After this saw a header hit the post and a ball go over but not much else to do. His reaction on the goal showed his commitment to the cause as he ran the length of the field to celebrate with his teammates.

Freeman 7/10 – He was ok in the first half and had a few runs forward and involved in some of our attacking moments down that side. A few times he played in crosses and no one anticipated but he was always in the attacking area. Defensively he was fine. They had a few moments down that side but cannot remember too many errors. Second half I felt he was a bit slow to get forward and seemed to run out of energy. Not a surprise when he eventually did go off as Wilder alluded to; he has played 3 games in a week after a long layoff.

Stevens 7.5/10 – He was good today I felt and carried on a better performance against Hull. I thought he put some really good crosses in today and that a few times our strikers should have read things better but too often they all went front or back post. He kept going down that side and covered so much ground which if often forgotten. A few passes/balls were telegraphed but overall it was more like the Stevens of early last season. Defensively he was fine also. A player who gets a lot of criticism for me and not always deserved.

Egan 7.5/10 – Think he has gradually improved after two poor opening performances where he was at fault for at least one goal. He had looked shaker defensively and also poor on the ball. Last week he was better against QPR and carried this on against Hull. Today, that improvement continued as he was more dominant than he has been. He scored a headed goal, was really close to a second headed goal and in the defensive wide he won headers, tackles and looked more the player we expected when we signed him. He also used the ball better today. Still worried when teams attack us with pace and runners but overall it was a good day for him today.

O’Connell 7/10 – Better performance but disappointed in his part on the goal where he lost the initial header and then lost his man in the middle. Felt he came onto the ball more today and showed more of the determined, win the ball at all costs attitude we have seen from him. However, on the goal felt he let Rhodes get away way too easily and was ball watching on a few other occasions. Second half carried ball better and helped us propel onto an attacking platform. Missed a few headers when well placed. Seems to get under the ball a lot when he attacks corner. Often wins the header but rarely gets them on target. A better display overall today though.

Basham 7/10 – Another typical Bash showing. Effort, perspiration but at times final ball and contribution sometimes lacking with the ball. So much effort in both the right centre back position and then the right full back/wing back he ended up. Covered so much ground and never stopped. On the goal though he was poor as he got turned too easily. Should have shown his man away from goal but allowed him to come inside and cross too easily. After this he improved and second half I was concerned when he went into a wider position feeling they may get Hernandez at him but he got forward and actually forced him back. Put a few great balls in mixed with some aimless stuff but always a threat. All action and a great ball in for the winning goal.

Fleck 7.5/10 – Thought today he was more like the Fleck we saw last season. Recall, last season he started the season slowly too like this campaign but showed signs on Tuesday and today was much more like it. Got the ball, made space and passed it or drove forward. Most of the good things we did came from him. Him and Norwood combined excellently together. The thought of Coutts and Duffy joining them is quite a prospect.

Norwood 7.5/10 – Followed on from Tuesday with another good performance. Thought it was a toss up between him and Fleck for man of the match. He got on the ball and tried to make things happen. Always positive. Hard not to make comparisons with the guy he replaced Evans but you kind of have to. He was different in that he always looked to go forward, get on the ball, to carry it and make things happen. Of course, on a few occasions he gave it away but rather this when a player is trying to make things happen than being conservative. Lovely balance and touch and range of passing. Moves it at pace most of the time too. When he gets up the speed of what we do; he will be even better. A great signing on the evidence we have seen.

Woodburn 5/10 – Thought like Tuesday, he struggled. Seems well behind the pace of the play and taking too long to do things. He showed a few neat touches but all too often his touch or pass was off. He struggled to make much of an impact and physically he gets outmuscled. He has talent you can see but not sure he is quite up the pace of the game. Difficult as he needs games to get up the pace but if he plays then we need more from him. Not surprised he came off. Not sure what his role is as he is not a central striker and today played as a 10 but it did not really work. Wilder admitted if Duffy was fit he would have played. These games are all helpful to his development and education as to what he needs to do at this level.

Clarke 6.5/10 – He may get a lot of criticism again tonight for a few misses and maybe not quite doing enough to show for the midfield or players looking for him but I saw better signs today. He did not hide as much as he has been doing and I felt his work ethic was improved. He was unlucky not to score when the keeper made a great save and then was involved in some decent stuff second half. He is not having much luck at the moment but as Wilder says is getting in good positions. Needs to work hard all the time though as a few times he went thought periods of almost coasting and we need the hungry, pressing Clarke of last year as much as we can; the striker that did not give defenders a moment.

Sharp 7/10 – Thought he looked the liveliest attacker we had. Tried to hold it up first half but did not get any real clear chances. He was crowded out a few times. Kept working hard and I felt he was always showing for the ball even though it did not always stick. He had a few half chances where he maybe took too long when it came in but eventually he got his reward for being in the right area with a classic Sharp poachers’ goals. He will always have a chance of scoring.

Subs:

Leonard 7/10 – Did ok and helped us become more solid in this area of the field. He won a few tackles and was ok on the ball. Missed a headed chance when he knew he should have scored but he was ok today – he is not a creative sort but that is not his fault and allowed Norwood and Fleck to play further forward. Think he offers us more mobility than Lundstram (and Evans did) even if technically he may not be a passing sort of player but he may be useful especially away from home.

McGoldrick – Came on but struggled to get up to the pace of the game. He seemed to come off the front two and play just behind but it never really stuck to him and his impact was limited. He kept going though and was involved with the pull back for the vital winner.

Stearman – Came on right at the end after the goal as we sought to see out the final few seconds. Went into the middle but we only needed to clear one more ball.

Wilder 7.5/10 – He deserves credit for going for the win and putting another attacker on. I also felt the change with Woodburn coming off for Leonard helped us and gave us more of the ball. I am not sure McGoldrick had much impact but he did set up the winner and his introduction at least signalled the attacking intent. Brave call to go back to the back three that had started the first two games after QPR when Stearman did well. We do lack attacking options and to see Lavery on the bench (who did not have a number before today) showed we are lacking in this area. With Duffy out, you did not see many game changing options to come on. His celebrations at the end where he ran down the line also showed how big that late goal was. We have a week off now and then go again next week at Bolton. A positive result there and the start to the season has been good. There are improvements happening in the pattern of play and individuals as Wilder says but we have to stop giving daft goals away and be more clinical when we get chances. We did not dominate today but first half I felt could have had more goals and it was the same second half. It is a bit concerning that for all the play we have we are not creating as many clear chances as we should whilst still giving the opponents too many good chances.

Officials – I liked how Darren Bond always tried to let things flow. He played the advantage really well and went back when he could do to give the free kick. He did this for both teams. There were four bookings which were all right really for cynical fouls or pull backs. He could have booked Rhodes for almost inciting the crowd after he scored – Duffy got booked for similar last season. The offside was ridiculous but not sure he could be blamed for that. Interesting that Wilder said the fourth official would not have allowed it to stand? Not sure he can stop the game and overturn an incorrect decision, can he? It was a nonsense and so clear. Luckily, they did not score. The assistants seemed a bit slow all game with things and a few times the ball seemed to go out and the game went on. Not sure the assistant spotted the goal and the ref looked at his watch. Was not even aware it was being used at this level but clearly was today as he looked down and signalled goal, rightly so of course. The stoppage time could have been slightly more than three minutes. They were not as blatant as last year but still took forever over things. Rhodes and others went down for no reason whatsoever. Lovely when we scored with not far off the last kick!

Crowd – 24,000 was a bit down on what we have been getting last season and of course the first game but they did not bring many and it still peak holiday season. Decent-ish atmosphere probably helped by what happened last year. Norwich brought maybe a 1,000 at best- maybe less. They were relatively quiet really. Rhodes celebrations when he scored helped get the United crowd more wound up and probably not the best move from the scorer. I felt the home fans stayed with the team and kept willing them forward and the late goal saw the the roar that inevitably accompanied it!

Fair assessment as usual pal mcgoldrick dint do much apart from set the winning goal up not sure what else we wanted him to do

Good report but just two comments.

1) Bash sent in a lovely ball for Goldie
2) Goldie did get involved with the assist to Billy.

Thanks DB

How come JOC get's practically left off for his part in their goal? I can imagine if that'd been Enda who was left flat footed by the pig he'd've got barrell loads of cack chucked at him.I aint havin a go at JOC cos i like him alot but he certainly isn't playin at his best so far this season in my view.I thought Leon deserved a 7 and Olly&FLECKY both 8.Cheers tho DB.UTCB

I think he's definately been unsettled by the Brighton interest and nowhere near his best but it's ok cos he's a crowd favourite with his own song so we'll let him off,as you say rod double standards but everyone will deny it

Oh the joy of seeing Billy Sharp 90+3 come up on Soccer Saturday,the sheer delight at shouting Yeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssss you ferking beauty and the joy at seeing the Pigs agonised faces as FT appeared next to our score.
To all You lucky people who witnessed Saturdays I am so very jealous of you all.

Then the next day,rubbing it in another Sheffield double,not a bad weekend truth be told

Oh the joy of seeing Billy Sharp 90+3 come up on Soccer Saturday,the sheer delight at shouting Yeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssss you ferking beauty and the joy at seeing the Pigs agonised faces as FT appeared next to our score.
To all You lucky people who witnessed Saturdays I am so very jealous of you all.

Then the next day,rubbing it in another Sheffield double,not a bad weekend truth be told
Could have told me you were watching Jeff and the boys it would have saved me txtin Portugal :taz:

Could have told me you were watching Jeff and the boys it would have saved me txtin Portugal :taz:

I should have told you that I was turning my phone off all weekend,I go t all your texts going up the M1 last night,but thanks for the thought,my friend

I should have told you that I was turning my phone off all weekend,I go t all your texts going up the M1 last night,but thanks for the thought,my friend
Has tha gor a suntan? I dunt know if you're interested but U/23 game has been switched from BDBL next week to Stocky on friday at 2pm,UTCB