United 1 Palace 0 - report | Vital Football

United 1 Palace 0 - report

Deadbat_DB

Vital Squad Member
Report below…..and brief Podcast review here too

The Blades got their first Premier League win back at this level and won the first home game back at Bramall Lane as they beat Crystal Palace thanks to John Lundstram’s goal. United were value for the win after an even first half but the Blades upped the tempo in the second half and the final score was a fair reflection of the contest.

Manager Chris Wilder kept faith with the same eleven that started last week in the draw at Bournemouth and had the same substitutes also. Palace started with Wilfried Zaha, and had a number of international players at their disposal led by former England manager Roy Hodgson.

The last time United had played at this level inside this old stadium, had been in the pouring rain amidst a funeral type atmosphere as the Blades got relegated after the defeat to Wigan set against the Tevez controversy. This time over 12 years on, the sun was out and the optimism was palpable as a packed ground started to gather in anticipation.

The atmosphere was crackling inside the Lane as the teams came out and the Greasy Chip Butty song reverberated around the ground as the teams kicked off. United tried to get it forward but it was a cautious beginning from both sides. O’Connell had to receive treatment after a clash of heads but was fine to carry on. Zaha was on the ball early but his penchant for going to the deck was frustrating United’s players and fans alike. A half chance came for Benteke but his shot lacked power and was saved comfortably from Henderson.

Lundstram got a booking for a fairly innocuous challenge on Zaha as the Palace man went to ground again. O’Connell had a header off target and then Benteke’s link up saw Townsend had to be halted by Egan. United had knocked it long too much early on and the front two were not seeing much of the ball but even though Palace had more of the ball, they created little the other way. Lundstram shot wide and then Basham had to get a header in to deny the deep cross.

At the other end Stevens shot saw some appeals for a penalty ignored before Palace had a spell of play that saw United have to concede a corner and a free kick but nothing worried Henderson in the United goal. Fleck took a knock and struggled to carry on and had to come off with Freeman replacing him in the midfield area. The sub was straight into the action finding Robinson whose shot was well over. United had started to grow into the game and had the best chance of the game when good build up saw the ball transferred to the right and Lundstram made the interception and then put over a great cross that McGoldrick seemed sure to score but somehow Guaita saved at point blank range.

The half time whistle came after a relatively even half. Palace had more control of the ball but had not created much and even though United had been a bit sloppy with the ball, they still had the best chance of the game.

The second half began with United roaring into Palace and into the lead. Stevens and O’Connell combined with the overlapping centre back being utilised and the ball was played into Freeman. The midfielder took a great touch inside and hit a cross shot that Guaita could only push out. The ball fell right into the path of LUNDSTRAM who fired home to send the ground into raptures with an almighty roar to signal the ball hitting the back of the net.

Palace tried to respond but Townsend’s shot was comfortable for Henderson before Robinson pulled up and had to be replaced with McBurnie who made his home debut. Norwood had grown increasingly influential and his crossfield ball was a sight to behold as it arrowed behind the defence to Baldock who was denied by Van Aanholt. Schlupp and McCarthy came on for Townsend and Meyer as Palace tried to make changes to a game where the home side had controlled much of the second half. United were now ripping into tackles and winning the loose stuff. McBurnie was a handful up top and Freeman was running in behind. Norwood was continuing to spray the ball around with Lundstram still continuing to be a steady player both ways.

The next chance came for United as a corner was not cleared and Basham hit an intelligent cross over that O’Connell met but Guaita pushed away. Baldock was cautioned for a late tackle which McCarthy reacted to and also earned a caution. United now were managing the ball and the game well and Palace had offered little. Freeman’s cross nearly saw McBurnie have a chance but his header looped over. Wickham was on as Palace tried to get extra bodies forward but were struggling to make much headway.

Freeman was booked for a foul on Ward as Palace had a free kick opportunity which Egan and then O’Connell cleared. Jagielka came on for McGoldrick to a stirring reaction as referee Coote incredulously allowed seven minutes extra time! In this additional time, Baldock and then Basham made good interceptions but United protected Henderson expertly and saw time out professionally. The crowd rose to their feet as the Blades won every tackle and loose ball and blast of the final whistle saw the whole ground rise as one to celebrate the first win back at this level.

United – Delighted with the win. The performance again, as last week, was solid. We were not superb but first half we stayed in the game, even though we never got on the ball enough and it was a bit scrappy, we did not get too many chances away and just kept solid. I felt we went long too much and maybe sat off a bit. We did not get the ball to the strikers enough and it kept coming back but fortunately Palace did not do much the other way and only had a few half chances. I did think we could do better even though it had been quite even and we still had the best chance through McGoldrick who should have scored.

After the break Freeman made a difference as did McBurnie and we got the goal and you felt the confidence come through the team. Everyone started to improve and I just sensed the belief on and off the field emanating all around. Palace looked a bit clueless. If anyone looked like scoring again, it might have been us as O’Connell had a header saved and a few other balls went across. Palace had one chance but it was a tame effort and Henderson made a bit of a meal of it. There was 7 minutes of stoppage time (not sure how) but you felt the nerves maybe came more from the crowd who were just doing the usual United might mess this up thing, rather than the team looked really edgy. We actually saw it out quite comfortably.

So, 4 points is a great start. We have not played any heavyweights yet and next Saturday will be our toughest test yet but it has been pleasing. I do think we can do better and even though all the players have been decent to good, think some can do even better. Teams have not cut us apart and we have not conceded many chances, let alone goals. The other way we have had a few chances and scored a few goals. We have seen a surprise in Lundstram coming in and excelling. The defence has been solid and the new players are slowly bedding in. We have to be really pleased with the start.

Ratings:

Henderson 7/10 – Solid. Did not really have much to do actually. A few tame efforts and then one that he pushed away second half but not sure there was anything that difficult. The one he pushed away he maybe got a bit of luck it did not fall. The rest of his play was fine. He punched a couple away and took the crosses/through balls he could. He did kick it out quite a bit when he did distribute. Be delighted with his clean sheet though.

Baldock 7.5/10 – Thought he was really good and a contender for the man of the match. He defended really well on Zaha in the first half and just was really solid. He got forward when he could but more than that he just kept his shape and position. He got booked for a bit of a rash foul after the ball had gone but other than that he kept his discipline. One we all are not quite sure about at this level but done really well the first few weeks.

Basham 7/10 – Another one who was nice and solid. He made a few interceptions and when they had more of the ball first half, he defended well with nothing fancy. Second half he got forward more as we attacked more and he became more of a threat but then when they started to push us back more, he did a good job, firstly as a defender and then as the deeper midfielder when Jagielka came on. One loose pass apart he was fine on and off the ball.

O’Connell 7/10 – Another who played his part. Involved in the goal when he led the attack and started the break that led to Freeman breaking with it and assisting. I felt first half him and Egan were bullied a little bit by Benteke and co who won more of the balls forward but second half we came onto the ball more, got tighter and won the battle. Indeed, second half not sure they really had many chances at all and we defended higher up the field.

Egan 7/10 – First half I felt that the front players and Benteke won more balls and held it up and kept our defenders at arm’s length. We seemed a bit reluctant to engage but maybe a few half time words and we started to push them about, get about them and not let it be easy. It helped the whole team played higher up the field and everyone just moved up. Egan by the end had imposed himself more on Benteke and they created very little.

Stevens 7/10 – Played well and showed some lovely feet when he attacked including a lovely double drag back manoeuvre. Like the way he does not panic and one of the few so far that has been able to just take his time and pick out the pass or take the touch to create the angle. He was able to defend well when they switched Zaha onto him 2nd half also. Has been very comfortable so far in the first few games.

Fleck 6/10 – I felt they started better in the midfield area and that we did not see enough of the ball He was not poor but the whole area did not win the loose stuff and a bit erratic in the passing when we had it. Picked up a knock or a pull and went off. We improved after he went off but I felt we may have done anyway regardless of the change as the whole side would have started to improve. Might be missing for a week or so a chance for others to come in.

Norwood 7.5/10 – Thought he started slowly and the whole team went long too much and sat back as a team. We lost too many of the little things where it meant we did not get the ball as a result of the first or second balls. After the break he was more involved and saw so much of the ball. Some of his passing throughout was excellent. Does not always come off, but a few cross-field pings were superb. The one to Baldock was superb and similar to the pass he played against Wednesday last season. He nearly repeated it soon after. A lovely passer of the ball and central to what we do.

Lundstram 7.5/10 – Between him, Baldock and Norwood for the man of the match. Could have given it all three. No issues with Lunny getting it. Set up the big chance first half which Didzy should have scored and then scored being in the right area to follow in for the goal. He was solid. Got his foot in, played some sensible passes and a few more long-range ones. Combative and more mobile than he has been, as he tracked back well to cover really well. Pleased he has come in and surprised the first few games. Even today, same as last week, I was doubtful about him playing and the flat three but in that role and as a two with Freeman in front, he played well.

McGoldrick 6.5/10 – First half he came off the front a lot and not sure he saw much of it. He tried but it was all a little bitty but he did get more involved second half. I felt McBurnie helped but also felt that the whole team as I say played higher up and we had midfielders around the strikers too. He got in and linked well. Did miss a huge chance first half though. He has to score those and has had two big-ish chances so far this season and will be disappointed not to have got off the mark but his link and team play cannot be understated.

Robinson 6/10 – Not really his day. I felt we did not see much of the ball higher up the field and McGoldrick came off and he got a bit isolated. The ball did not stick and it was all a bit scrappy for us as we went direct way too much. He got a bit of a knock and it was decided that we would not risk him and McBurnie came on.

Subs –

Freeman 7.5/10 – Made a real difference. Lovely quick feet, he set up the goal with a great touch which took him towards goal and I felt he was positive and direct with his running all game. Technically he is excellent and he has a good first touch but such a low centre of gravity and can kind of glide past people. He really got involved and showed why we signed him. Really promising signs.

McBurnie 7/10 – Put himself about. All action. Competed for every ball, header and ran around. He is a nuisance. Missed a few half chances with headed chances but not easy opportunities. He linked well and I felt he never gave Palace a moments peace. May start next week if Robinson has a knock. Think he will be a real fans favourite with his will to win and willingness to chase everything.

Jagielka – Brought on right at the end and still got a few headers away and managed to keep them from getting deep in our territory. Got a great reaction when he came on and loved his reaction on full time.

Manager Wilder 7.5/10 – Despite calls for the odd change even with a draw last week, kept faith with the same side and Lundstram, the one many felt might give way – not due to his poor performance but just as many felt we may attack more with a more orthodox number 10 – scored the winner and was man of the match. He was not afraid to put Freeman on rather than Besic to give us more of an attacking threat and move us up the field as a result. McBurnie gave us a different threat and Jags came on and helped protect things at the death. We played another longer serving team in this league and more than held our own and did enough to win. We showed our desire and no little skill. He changed personnel and tweaked things after the break to see us play higher up the pitch. I think what will please him as that we have 4 points and been really solid but also that I think we can do better in elements. We have two really tough games to come but it took us 7 games to win last time we were up so great we have got off the mark this time quicker and settles everyone down.

Palace – First half I thought they were ok and they maybe had more of the ball and they looked quite comfortable. We huffed and puffed but they dealt with us fine apart from that one chance and they may have felt they could go on and win despite creating little. They did have more of the ball and moved it about well without really penetrating deep into our third. Benteke held up the ball well and was very strong and Townsend buzzed around. Zaha was always a worry but spent more time looking at daisies than attacking our defenders.

After the break, we won more loose stuff, got into them more and they sat back a bit. We scored with sloppy defending as they let us get through them and then after this, they never really recovered. They had that one shot but other than that despite subs and putting on Schlupp and Wickham, they did not come close to recovering anything. United had more of the ball and controlled things fairly comfortably. Palace did not show much fight and just sort of petered out which would be a worry after a decent first half. In the end 1-0 to United was about a fair reflection on chances and possession that mattered. Hodgson summed it up saying they have quality that should see them do much better.

Opponent Man of the Match –I thought Benteke was really good first half and was a really threat with his hold up. Zaha had a few bits but never really hurt us and was looking for free kicks too much (he is quite protected I feel – he does get fouled but a number of fouls the contact was minimal and the ref still gave him fouls). I thought the lad Milivojevic was on the ball in the first half and dictated play but was a non-factor second half. Ditto for Townsend who came off and was a threat running in behind but then never noticed him after the break.

Opponent Weaklink – A number of very ordinary performances. I feel the two centre backs Dann and Kelly are very ordinary at this level and the latter is not really a centre back. I think those two sit quite deep and we exploited their lack of pace and decision to sit back second half. Even United have more mobile players in this area. When midfielders got onto the loose ball, you saw them backpedalling. Van Aanholt was pushed back also defensively. Guaita should have done better on the goal and was a bit pathetic to sort of push it out.

Referee/Officials/VAR – I have to say I have not watched anything back yet. No sure there was much for VAR to get involved in. We had a few penalty appeals with a handball that seemed a bit desperate first half and then a foot up second which maybe was a stronger shout but not sure either was that convincing. I was worried when Baldock went in after the ball second half but then McCarthy’s reaction was poor too so maybe a booking each was right. Lundstram’s booking seemed harsh as was his first foul and also not sure Freeman’s was a booking really. I felt they went to floor very easily and were looking for fouls. They bought so many with Zaha especially constantly hitting the deck, often with minimal contact. He is a great player but play the game and stay on your feet man! The ref, David Coote, did not give us much 50-50 wise and I felt we had to battle through some slightly poor decisions. I also felt for a home side we did not get much of the benefit (not saying you should get more but at home to see so much go for the away side was a bit galling). I thought the 7 minutes summed it up. There was a few stoppages and subs and we did kill it and time waste for periods but 7 minutes?! Really. We saw it out in the end but seemed way too long for me. Not sure there was anything majorly controversial but it was almost like it took us 65-70 mins to realise what we had to do to get…ahem free kicks. It is not great that you go down and you get a foul most of the time. Refs almost seem to just fall for it.

Crowd/Atmosphere etc – 30,197. After all the ticket talk, we nearly sold out. A few hundred in the upper tier and then some dotted around the ground but nearly jam packed which was great to see. I felt the place was jumping early on and a lot of noise. We did not have much of the game first half in terms of the ball but the crowd remained supportive and as we improved as the game went on, the crowd also responded. Loved the last period as the whole ground kept with us and helped to see us over the line. The noise on both the goal and full time was something else. Great to be back at top level. In terms of the ground, we saw some big screens neat the press box (ironic they shifted me from here) high up in the stand and we have more advertising all over the ground, although the Pukka Pie has now branding has now no branding at all and is all red signage which looks smarter. The other things were the Premier League branding all over including the pointless podium and the fake fireworks as they came out.

Other than that, not sure what was much different. The pubs were busier in town and I had a wry smile they shut the international bar to normal fans – it was never great in there but good for families and convenient – why they left it till the day before the game was not great. I am not sure why they don’t use the back of the Kop as some sort of fan zone with beer and food being sold, maybe a big screen and some music – lots of clubs do it and it seems obvious to utilise this space and I reckon they could get more revenue from this than the parking.

I do not get anything inside the ground so cannot comment on cashless catering. One thing that was annoying was a lot of people kept coming in and out- many missed the goal for instance. Why cannot people sit in their seat for 45 minutes x 2 without the need for a pie/pint – also unless you have a medical problem, surely you can time it so you don’t need to be going up the toilet during the game. It was a stream of people coming in and out which was a bit annoying.

There were some problems – we got there at 13.35pm and did not get in until nearly 13.50pm which was way too long to get queues through with one turnstile broke and a few having problems. A pal could not get in (tickets did not work – had to go to the ticket office and said there was around 500 in a large queue having similar issues that had to go to the ticket office to sort it – he got in half an hour late).

Be interesting to see what happens next week -as I hope we don’t end up with a similar issue with the tickets in terms of a few thousand being left spare. If they use the reasoning they did for Palace, that Leicester have sold out so they cannot make available for general sale – then we will see a much smaller crowd. They should just say you need to be registered on the ticket system – made a previous purchase for now and then review a few days before the game. We need to maximise the profit and numbers we can get in the ground every week and try to not cut off potential new or returning fans also.

Totally agree with the last paragraph
And pretty much with everything else,nailed it I’d say ?

I would have given Freeman an 8 simply because he added much needed pace in the middle and gets an assist for the goal. Otherwise agree with most of that. We stopped Palace playing and got the goal that mattered.

Not sue DB how you saw the formation when Freeman came on. We seemed when in possession of the ball to be playing 5-4-1 with the four in a diamond. I am concerned that this will not provide us with enough goal scoring opportunities moving forward. It worked yesterday but as with Bournemouth IMO we showed the oppo too much respect and changed our natural game to accommodate them. Can't complain about 4 from 6 points though.

As for the ticket sales situation the Club if they have to implement a minimum points figure should reduce it back to 250. No reason for it to be higher. A sensible approach would be to say if you bought a ticket for Palace then you get one for Leicester. Too much common sense in that suggestion though.

I would say that if a fan is already loaded onto the system then no pointds need to buy when on general sale at least.

My daughter and son in law attend one game a season (over Xmas) and I always get them a ticket each but this rule will stop them, unless commonsense prevails.