United 1 Brighton 1 - report | Vital Football

United 1 Brighton 1 - report

Deadbat_DB

Vital Squad Member
United had to settle for a draw in their quest for European football as they could not quite do enough to see off Brighton and Hove Albion at a wet and windy Bramall Lane. Enda Stevens first half howitzer put the Blades ahead but a quick-fire riposte from one-time United target, Neal Maupay levelled matters. The second half saw United dominate but they could not quite force the decisive moment to win the game despite McBurnie missing two good chances.

Manager Wilder named an unchanged side as United looked to build on the last two victories in another game played in front of tricky weather conditions at a sold-out Bramall Lane. The home side were fast out of the blocks and some slick football saw Stevens and O’Connell advance to win early territory. Sharp fired off target after good build up and Brighton were having to defend with numbers to stop an energetic Blades opening. McBurnie could not react quick enough after good work from Baldock down the right. United won two early corners and Fleck was heavily involved, celebrating his new contract and drew two early fouls with Bissouma booked for a very late tackle. The same man had the first effort on goal but it was easily repelled by Henderson.

United continued to probe with Stevens and then Fleck looking to drive beyond the defence and the Blades won two corners that were both cleared. A break saw McBurnie cynically upended by Propper before Sharp’s cross was cleared. The Brighton midfielder was booked when the ball went dead. United had been by far the better side and the opener came after a short corner on the right-hand side. Burn could only partially clear and STEVENS hit a driven shot high into the net and beyond Ryan. It was a superb strike and gave the Blades a deserved lead.

Sadly, the lead was short-lived and only four minutes later, the away side were level. Mooy’s free kick was headed back from Webster and MAUPAY reacted quickest to nod home from point blank range.

United were back on the offensive winning two corners and then Fleck nearly found an opening again. United continued to try and probe and were moving the ball at pace and with fluidity but had not created too many clear-cut openings. The half time whistle sent soon after another decent United attack had been thwarted.

The second half saw a blow as Stevens had tweaked a calf and Osborn came on to play left wing back. United continued to dominate the ball but were unable to find a chance and Brighton actually had an opening when Dunk fired off target after a corner dropped to him.

United continued to force the issue though and a corner saw O’Connell and McBurnie denied in a scramble and then soon after Fleck fired wide after neat build-up. United continued to mount the pressure and were dominating the ball but Maupay hit a flashing volley just over from the angle.

Norwood’s cross saw Osborn return the ball and Ryan smothered before McGoldrick and Lundstram came on for Sharp and Berge as the Blades looked to find the vital moment of quality. Brighton were now time wasting at every opportunity and Ryan was taking an age over goal kicks. The visiting team had an appeal for a penalty for an Osborn hand ball but McBurnie then had a great chance but missed the ball after good work down the left from O’Connell and Osborn. There was a moment of concern when Dunk went down after a Lundstram tackle but the review for a red card found in the Blades player’s favour.

United were now piling on the pressure and Ryan had to deny McBurnie after lovely work from McGoldrick down the left. Baldock and Basham combined and the ball was cleared and it was now one-way traffic. The Blades threw men forward and Brighton made a number of blocks as the game entered a very generous three minutes stoppage time. Despite United continuing to attack time beat them and the delight of the Brighton players at the end in gaining the draw said it all about the momentum of the game.

United – Thought we played well and actually were better on and off the ball in this game than Bournemouth and West Ham. Defensively we were sound other than the one switch off and we moved through the field well and some lovely stuff saw us control the ball. We dominated possession and won more corners and really should have had more chances for all the control of the game we had. That is the only issue really. We did not really test the keeper enough. McBurnie missed a couple of good chances and we had some scrambles and the ball did not quite drop but we maybe did not do enough at the top end. We started the game well; we had all the ball and were moving it about and at pace. We got the goal through a great striker and after this you sensed we would go on and win easily but then they scored almost straight away. A sloppy goal conceded when a routine set play was headed back and we lost two headers as Maupay got in and scored. We kept attacking though and despite Stevens coming off, it looked like there was only winner really. They may say they had a half-hearted appeal for a spot kick on the Osborn one which seemed close to him and the Lundstram tackle but overall it was all United second half really. We had so much of the ball, lots of corners but could not quite do enough but McBurnie ought to take one of the chances he had. I thought that most of the team were really good and we defended well, won the loose balls and controlled the ball. Fleck and Norwood were excellent. I was a bit disappointed with Berge who seemed way behind the pace and tempo and positionally seems to be struggling with that area he is playing. I also thought McBurnie and Sharp tried hard but slowed things right down and we lacked real quality in that area.

We never really looked like scoring despite all the good play and often it was scrambles or knock downs rather than good play. Brighton were very defensive and milked the clock playing for a draw clearly. They got it but it was a very negative approach really. United did enough in territory and control to win but did not create enough. So, you can look at it both ways. I was pleased with the performance and thought everyone did their best but we just lacked that bit of extra quality to go on and win the game 2 or 3-1 really.

I will take that display though the final 11 games as I feel we will win a lot more than we lose/draw. It was a good performance and the away team were delighted to take something back from a game they were dominated against for long periods. Still, we take the point. We are on 40 points and now have the cup and then Norwich at home to come. It shows how far we have come when we are a bit disappointed to just take a point. Brighton have double our wage bill and are scrapping around to stay up. We are up near the 5/6 and a bit down not to win. We should not be. We are a good side and are continuing to play well and control games against teams who have been at this level a lot longer than us. We need to focus on the positives. Yes, Berge needs to improve. Yes, we need to improve our final bits in the last third and our strikers need to be more ruthless but overall the football is good. We are energetic, we are continuing to win battles and we are looking like a side that really belongs in the upper reaches of the top league.

Ratings:

Henderson 7/10 – Little to do really. The goal maybe he was caught in no mans land a bit but the header was not really somewhere he could get to and I would look at the defenders here. Outside of this he had one easy save to make early one but that was it. Second half a few went over but he did not have a save to make.

Baldock 7.5/10 – Maybe the goal the lad Webster pulled onto him and won a header but not sure he could do much. Against a tricky opponent in Burn who was trying to use his height; but he kept to his task. Kept getting on the diagonal ball from O’Connell first half and a few decent crosses/runs and then second half he was a threat again as he kept pinning them back. Showed his feisty side on a few challenges. Summed up his game when he ended up left wing near the end.

Stevens 7.5/10 – Probing down the left when he had it and always involved when we attacked. He put a few decent balls in but a few where he hit the man also. The goal was a superb bit smashing it home from only a half chance. He needs to do this more as he can really hit a ball. Apparently taken off with a calf strain but more of a precaution. With two weeks till the next game hoping he will be ok.

Basham 7.5/10 – Defensively and attacking he was solid again. First half he tried to move up the pitch but maybe took too long to do things but second half he was more forceful and drove us down that right wide. He combined with Baldock and we had a number of overloads down that side. He kept pushing us on and continued with his lung bursting runs.

O’Connell 7.5/10 – Thought he was really solid. Not sure if he or Egan maybe were a bit slow react to the goal as we were caught out, but outside of this, he was really good. Got on the ball and drove us on combining with Fleck and Stevens. Some great long passes. He continued to win most of his 50/50 balls and was forceful in his play on the ball. Had a header second half scrambled away.

Egan 7.5/10 – Thought outside of the goal, he was very good and won his battles and passed/moved it with pace as we kept the attacks up most of the game. He was good today and I felt the whole defence showed a desire to not only win battles/headers/blocks but also bring it out with purpose and pace.

Norwood 7.5/10 – Excellent for the most part. He moved it around and controlled the tempo. Picked up loose balls and we were dominating this area for most of the game. He played a number of diagonal balls and moved it on right/left/central. He just was able to help the ball on and make sure we kept possession. Only real knock was other than a few clever short set plays (that did not quite come off) his corners were a bit floaty or too long.

Berge 5.5/10 – Sure, I will get slammed for this but he was our weak link. Began the game with a decent bit of skill to drift away from two men but after this he was rarely involved. When he had it, it was all a bit safe. Physically, he was very weak in challenges and he seems to shrink in headers – that is being kind – he is awful in the air! He did nearly get in when Sharp played him in. A neat and tidy player but he is not really in games. Several times, Bissouma drifted off him and he does not do the defensive side. He needs to influence things more. At the moment looks very lost. I would start Lundstram against Norwich as Berge has actually regressed since the Palace game. He is a young lad integrating into a new team, country and system but I have to say I expected a lot better than what I have seen so far. He has been very average at best. For 22 million, I expect much more. Sure, many will criticise this opinion but I can only go on what I have seen. He may turn out to be fantastic but at the moment he looks way off what is required.

Fleck 8/10 – Superb performance. He was the best player on the pitch. Drew several fouls and was able to dribble/ghost past men. He showed lovely feet, winning tackles and then attacking defenders. He was excellent all game and most of our threats came from his running and creativity. Brighton have some good midfielders but he was the best by a long way today. Great he has signed a new contract as he is so key to what we do.

McBurnie 6/10 – I thought he tried hard but not sure much came off today. He was neat enough at times but also not sure he won enough 50/50’s today when in other games he has been winning battles. He seemed a bit behind play at times and on his heels. Kept going and won a few free kicks and chased channels. Had two great chances though and really needed to score at least one of them. The first he just miskicked and then the second the keeper saved. At this level, you don’t get many opportunities like this. He has improved as the season has gone on but today, he could have done better.

Sharp 6/10 – As with MacBurnie, he worked hard and tried but I felt everything slowed down when the ball went up to the front two. They both need several touches to bring it down and find the next player. In some ways, that is good to hold it up but neither run behind or stretch defences and allow others to get back such is their plodding ways. That again seems harsh but if we are serious about being a top side, we need more pace and dynamism in this area. These two never really looked like penetrating or running past defenders and means away teams can sit deep. He did ok and a few decent runs (one down the left second half) where he won corners etc but he never really looked like scoring or even getting close to goal.

Subs –

Osborn 7/10 – Did ok actually. One error from a header and pass early on but then he began to be more secure on the ball and was involved in some decent attacks down the left and a few moves nearly led to chances. He did not let the team down at all.

McGoldrick – Lost it a few times early but then started to get in the game and he had the one great run where he came down the left and put a terrific cross in when McBurnie nearly scored. Nice to see him back and hope one day he gets this elusive goal.

Lundstram – Involved in a challenge that saw Dunk go down. It seemed both went in committed and not sure Lunny went in with any real malice but apparently it was a poor tackle and he was lucky not to get a red card. He was decent again and involved in a few attacks, including a decent free kick where he peeled off but his cross did not beat the first man. For me, he needs to start against Norwich.

Manager Wilder 7/10 – A good performance where we were ‘at it’ most of the game. We took the game to the opposition and for the most part controlled the game. We got the goal but sadly gave them a foothold back in quite quickly. That meant they could go back to the time wasting and negative tactics they employed most of the game. We kept going and the chances were made (I would have thrown Mousset on to stretch them myself as they sat back knowing we had little pace/running behind) but did not quite do enough to win. We got the late goal v Bournemouth but today it did not quite come. We did enough to win really against a side that barely attacked but just lacked enough when it mattered. Still, as he says it was a committed and energetic performance and, on another day, we win the game.

Brighton – They looked a side bereft of confidence and overall will have been delighted to get something from a game they were second best from for long spells.

They did not have much possession or much territory really and other than a few breaks, they were sitting back and defending. We were the dominant side and finally got ahead but then they got level straight away with a set play goal.

After this the form of the first half an hour continued. They played 3 at the back and matched us up and had a very big back 5 with even the wing backs both 6 footers (Burn 6’6’’) and were trying to keep a solid shape. They had little of the ball and I felt Norwood and Fleck controlled the football. They just wanted to stay deep and keep a shape. They managed to restrict us to a few chances and the keeper did not have much to do so will feel they defended well but they never really looked that interested in breaking out or trying to attack. They will take a point of course. They will say they were resilient and stayed in and at this stage of the season a draw is a good result. I am surprised they are so low down. They have some good technical players and Potter is a manager I like but they seem to have been struggling. With just 11 to play it is a bit of a dogfight between 7 or 8 teams for maybe 2 of the bottom places. I think they have enough to get out with some solid players at the back (back three all decent really) and some decent footballers in Mooy and Propper etc. Maupay/Murray will always nick a goal of course too.

Opponent Man of the Match – Mooy takes a decent set play and at times looked good but, on the ball, I felt Norwood and Fleck outshined him. Maupay got a goal but did little else but that is the life of a striker. The best player may have been the midfielder, Bissouma who carried it, got stuck in (too much and got booked early) and was always looking to get on the ball. The defenders Webster, Dunk and Duffy won a lot of headers and blocks so all three were solid today.

Opponent Weak link – Schelotto was a bit of a character with some ridiculous diving and at times we caused him some problems down the right. Murray was never in the game at all and was starved of the ball.

Referee/Officials/VAR – A few moments to look at that went for us and maybe could have gone against us but will say, that the other way I would have said the same really. The Osborn handball would have been very harsh as it was driven at him and then the Lundstram – Dunk clash. Some say it was a high foot but in real speed, it seemed two players going for the ball. I think a red would have been very harsh but I have not seen it back. Bissouma was booked for two wild tackles early and then Propper for a headlock on McBurnie as he tried to get away. That was it! Ryan time wasted all game but Scott just kept pointing to his watch. Then after all this timewasting and the Dunk injury; he decided three minutes would be played. THREE MINUTES. Utterly bonkers. It was at least 5 or 6 and that is being generous. Shame as I felt we might nick a winner. Shows you can time waste all you like and you won’t get booked or time added on. The two assistant referees were hopeless as they kept looking at the referee for help but never made any decisions themselves. They may as well not have been there.

Crowd/Atmosphere etc – Bit flat for me. I agree with Wilder and I would have thought that we would have given the team a better reaction at the end but also during the game; the crowd needed to do more. A sold-out crowd with a full away following and the team playing well again but it was a bit too quiet and needed more backing/noise. The crowd were appreciative and not negative but I think that we could have upped the decibel levels more. I don’t think it was a frustrating type atmosphere but as I say I wanted a bit more for a side that surely deserves it?

Spot on report again DB, thank you.

The team marks reflect the main problem - 2 sixes for the strikers says it all. ( not forgetting Berge struggling to make an impact at the moment) Think Enda's injury stymied CW's subs as it meant Moose didn't get a run out although he was stripped and ready to go at one stage.

Knew we were in trouble when egan told berge to mark maupay for the free kick and as expected he switched off just at the wrong time the centre halves should have won the first header but they didn’t so it’s up to defenders to either win the knockdown or make sure their player doesn’t get on the end of it
I disagree about mousset getting round the back they were laying deep so there is no room to get round the back it nullifies pace didzy came on to try to unlock the deep lying defence but as some old duffer once said it’s all about opinions
i think if Stevens stays on then lunny would have come on for berge on the hr mark but it tempered Chris’s substitutions I said when he first came we wouldn’t see the best of berge till next season and I still believe that but the only way he can get up to speed is by playing in these games but I’d try easing him in later in the game when we possibly have a lead or the opposition is tiring rather than from the start I was surprised he started but who am I to criticise wilder all I can say is imo he doesn’t get everything right all the time

FLECKY MotM for me and i thought George had a very good game also.I'd gi the team performance a 7.Sander in my view will be a gr8 player for us and he aint gunna get up to speed sat on't bench,i agree we'll see the best of him next season when he's more used t'pace of the prem and he's had a full pre season(On't Ale):LOL: wi our boys.I think we as a fanbase or at least some of our fans are gerrin abit above ourselves/ themselves cos when i was walkin back to our young uns car i heard several sayin we shud be slamiin shite sides like Brighton,dearie me.I'm absolutely delighted FLECKY's signed anutha contract extension,he's been mi favrit player since he arrived at BDBL.UTMPB

New breed of fan rod they should all be made to serve at least a ten yr apprenticeship watching total shite football and suffer at least 5 heartbreaking no show games that matter before being allowed in bdtbl otherwise how else can they really appreciate what’s happening in front of their very eyes

First game this season where I've been genuinely disappointed at the outcome...
FKB, not me, I was upset when we lost to Liverpool, Newcastle and Southampton
and only drawing with ManU.

We should be a cert for the CL but I'll settle for 40 pts so far.

FKB, not me, I was upset when we lost to Liverpool, Newcastle and Southampton
and only drawing with ManU.

We should be a cert for the CL but I'll settle for 40 pts so far.

I was disappointed with the results against Liverpool and Man Utd because I felt we'd done enough to get something out the game.

I think the disappointment vs Brighton is because I felt before the game that we should win this one and we didn't...

I'd say that the last game to feel as frustrating as yesterday's was the Watford game on Boxing Day. We dominated both games, but conceded soft goals and then didn't do enough to win. We definitely need to work on how we break down teams who sit back and play for a point.

Agree with report DB but a little harsh on Berge. Thought his range of passing second half was much better.

Oldcastle, Brighton and the Shammers have all stopped us playing at the Lane this season with a negative back five. We got lucky with a goalkeeping error against West Ham.

We struggle to break teams down and a change of formation for me is one way of doing this. In the championship we encountered this a lot but when we had Duffy on form running between the lines we gave new problems to the opposition. Yesterday all the substitutions were like for like and even though we should have had more extra time we wouldn't have scored if we had.

We never got behind Brighton and the added pace of Mousset would for me have given them something different to think about with McB sat behind two forwards.

One gripe. Against the smallest goalkeeper in the Division we were putting Billy on him at corners!

Thought a little unfair being critical of the fans
He has said he is the boss and doesn’t care what others think
We could have a go regarding putting the smallest attacker on the field against possibly the biggest
And getting a substitute ready to come on, and change his mind, some could say it was indecisive
The fans have been and are 100% behind him and the team
We filled the ground, look at Man City midweek, looked half empty from the start!
Fans of EVERY club have gone home for one reason or other
UTB

We could have a go regarding putting the smallest attacker on the field against possibly the biggest
And getting a substitute ready to come on, and change his mind, some could say it was indecisive
We filled the ground, look at Man City midweek, looked half empty from the start!
UTB

It was a strange interview. At one point Giddings asked CW what had niggled him. He didn't respond. Maybe Potters negative tactics got to him when he was expecting something different.

The fact is fans leaving early have no impact on the game as the majority of the crowd were still with the team right up to the final whistle. Leaving early happens at all grounds. As for clapping the fans off there were plenty doing it so don't get the comments about this. You are never going to get a rousing reception when the game was as frustrating as it was yesterday.

Last edited:
Sitting on the South Stand yesterday, there was a ridiculous mass exit which started with about ten minutes to go. It annoyed me, so I wasn't surprised that it bothered Wilder.

Might have been irked by being stopped on his jog to work and asked to fill in a survey about his PL experience to date.

Apparently all togged up the questioner failed to recognise him

Thought the glowing halo( like the Porridge oats advert ) might have been a clue!

UTB
On our way home, mi son& me were listenin t'interview and within 30seconds we both said Tufty's got face on over summat,it med us both laff.How dare anyone leave early?:LOL: UTMPB

New breed of fan rod they should all be made to serve at least a ten yr apprenticeship watching total shite football and suffer at least 5 heartbreaking no show games that matter before being allowed in bdtbl otherwise how else can they really appreciate what’s happening in front of their very eyes
These that i'm on abart yesdi all looked abart 40years younger than thee(in their 50's):giggle: Wolves beatin Norwich 3-0 and Norwich have played well at times but their defence isn't gud enuff but unlike last season they can't outscore sides in this league.UTMPB