Unfunny Comedians | Page 7 | Vital Football

Unfunny Comedians

you can really hear the snarling and frothing like a dog with rabies.

Maybe she is a libertarian, who believes that people should generally be allowed to do what they want? I came out as a libertarian on the political compass survey, and I agree with her to be honest.

If people find a comedian offensive that's fair enough. A very simple solution to this is don't buy tickets to see them.

Exactly and it's not as if offensive right wing comedians like Brown and co are thrust in our faces and shown at prime time on mainstream TV like offensive left wing comedians are. Personally, I object the likes of Kumar, Boyle, Brand (either one) etc being on licence-feer paid, supposedly neutral, prime-time television and radio and wouldn't expect to see Chubby Brown or Jim Davidson there either, but for the lot of them, I wouldn't try to cancel or censor them playing live shows, I just wouldn't go personally....

Last edited:
Although I watch BBC on iplayer from Japan, I’m mostly getting my British comedy fix on radio 4 listening on the train to work in the mornings. People like Frankie Boyle I loved on Mock week, but his own stand up doesn’t do it for me. Milton Jones is great and cracks me up! I don’t know any Gills fan that finds Micky Flannigan unfunny! As mentioned Tim Vine’s a screamathon, especially his own radio show!

But this post is about unfunny comedians, for me it’s always been Jo Brand and Eddie Izzard. I’ve tried and tried , but neither are my cuppa tea!

I don't find Roy Chubby Brown that funny at all but I don't agree with this "cancel culture" either, let those that want to enjoy it go or turn away if it's not your cup of tea, quite simple really.

Used to be videos of Roy Chubby Brown and Jim Davidson in all the Brit bars in Majorca and Tenerife back in the 90’s- used to find it funny then. as a teenager. Remembering a lot of those jokes now I think they don’t work these days, I’d probably feel uncomfortable watching it in public now- humanity has moved on!😅

Last edited:
Although I watch BBC on iplayer from Japan, I’m mostly getting my British comedy fix on radio 4 listening on the train to work in the mornings. People like Frankie Boyle I loved on Mock week, but his own stand up doesn’t do it for me. Milton Jones is great and cracks me up! I don’t know any Gills fan that finds Micky Flannigan unfunny! As mentioned Tim Vine’s a screamathon, especially his own radio show!

But this post is about unfunny comedians, for me it’s always been Jo Brand and Eddie Izzard. I’ve tried and tried , but neither are my cuppa tea!
I’m going to see Tim Vine tonight at the Appledore Book Festival.
He’s being interviewed by his brother Jeremy.
I’m hoping he’s his usual self. Funny guy.

Maybe she is a libertarian, who believes that people should generally be allowed to do what they want? I came out as a libertarian on the political compass survey, and I agree with her to be honest.

I fully agree with the whole "no one is forcing you to go" response of the petition starter. It was more of a response to Buddha who put

"the far-right started frothing at the mouth and 28,000 people signed a petition! "

Of the quotes in the article that Buddha linked, I didn't think anyone came across as "frothing at the mouth". I probably should have put a "rolling of the eyes" animation at the end of my original response.

I don't find Roy Chubby Brown that funny at all but I don't agree with this "cancel culture" either, let those that want to enjoy it go or turn away if it's not your cup of tea, quite simple really.

Precisely. Its like buying a ticket to the opera and then complaining afterwards that it was too elitist and should be banned.

There are forms of entertainment for everybody out there, every taste, every walk of life. In this day and age with youtube etc i cant believe anyone doesnt know what type of show/humour they are going to get.

I fully agree with the whole "no one is forcing you to go" response of the petition starter. It was more of a response to Buddha who put

"the far-right started frothing at the mouth and 28,000 people signed a petition! "

Of the quotes in the article that Buddha linked, I didn't think anyone came across as "frothing at the mouth". I probably should have put a "rolling of the eyes" animation at the end of my original response.
No I agree with you, the "far-right frothing at the mouth" comment is just his bigotry coming through, he can't possibly know that for a fact

Not sure being anti-censorship is "far right". More libertarian i would say. We live in a liberal democracy with a democratically elected government. Not sure equating what has happened here with facism is proportionate.

I can't be bothered to read the whole thread again, but someone must have mentioned Michael McIntyre?
I think I was the first reply to this thread and definitely mentioned him!

Like others have said, there’s a clear divide between stand-up, ad-lib comedy like 8 out of 10 cats, and written TV shows. I don’t know what our own Joe Wilkinson is like doing stand-up but on panel shows he’s very funny.

Not sure being anti-censorship is "far right".

It is people on the right who are complaining most about cancel culture and are therefore very much into freedom of speech and anti-censorship. People on the left are less likely to be censored as they are more likely to be "on message" and so tends to not register as an issue. And on the occassion that the banning is sufficently high profile that the person makes the news, the likes of BBC will brand them "far right" knowing that people on the left will think "Sounds reasonable grounds for banning" without bothering to actually investigate what was said or done. As per the other political leaning thread, the Tory Party is apparently an authoritarian far right party.

Just reading through this thread again, and kept thinking when is someone gonna mention the funny women? There were a couple of mentions of Katherine Ryan and then '58 and myself gave Bridget Christie some acknowledgment.

It's a pretty obviously a male dominated industry but there are and have nevertheless been some brilliant female comedians. Some of personal favourites are:

Sally Phillips,
Julia Davis,
Catherine Tate,
Diane Morgan,
Rebecca Front,
Victoria Wood,
Jennifer Saunders
Kathy Burke,
Tracey Ullman,

Probably more if I thought about it for a while longer.

And as for unfunny, nobody's mentioned Roy Chubby Brown. Possibly because nobody realised he's still going. Still banging on with his racist, sexist and homophobic routines. Alas, it appears he is. Or at least is still trying to do so.

I only realised he was the other day when I read that his gig had been cancelled. Apparently he'd only sold 300 tickets but when his show got cancelled the far-right started frothing at the mouth and 28,000 people signed a petition! The venue should have simply said he'd not sold enough tickets!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-58463658

Diane Abbott's quite funny.