Unfunny Comedians | Page 6 | Vital Football

Unfunny Comedians

I introduced my wife to the pleasure of the Havana cigar.
I came home one day to find her against the back door enjoying a large Cuban.

Russell Howard, Josh Widdicombe and Chris Addison are piss poor imo. Best I've seen live are Jack Dee, Sean Lock, Jon Richardson and Ross Noble all at the Central Theatre. Billy Connolly live at Hammersmith was very good, no break and his ability to come back to a subject after going off on a tangent for 45 minutes was brilliant. I also don't mind Russell Brand at all, not a fan of everything he's done but some of it, especially when working with Matt Morgan I find very funny.

Russell Howard, Josh Widdicombe and Chris Addison are piss poor imo. Best I've seen live are Jack Dee, Sean Lock, Jon Richardson and Ross Noble all at the Central Theatre. Billy Connolly live at Hammersmith was very good, no break and his ability to come back to a subject after going off on a tangent for 45 minutes was brilliant. I also don't mind Russell Brand at all, not a fan of everything he's done but some of it, especially when working with Matt Morgan I find very funny.
Not sure about chris addison's stand up, bot seen much more than is on mock the week and that was okay (nothing special, but okay)....but the thick of it is one of my favourite comedies in years and i think he wrote it didnt he? That said its largely down to malcolm tuckers character. Brilliant comedy at its best.

Not sure about chris addison's stand up, bot seen much more than is on mock the week and that was okay (nothing special, but okay)....but the thick of it is one of my favourite comedies in years and i think he wrote it didnt he? That said its largely down to malcolm tuckers character. Brilliant comedy at its best.

I'm not sure mate I've never got round to seeing it. If he did write it I may well find it very funny as there's a big difference between stand up and writing for characters as you say. I've always thought comedy is a personal thing and this thread proves it! Each to their own I say.

I'm not sure mate I've never got round to seeing it. If he did write it I may well find it very funny as there's a big difference between stand up and writing for characters as you say. I've always thought comedy is a personal thing and this thread proves it! Each to their own I say.
I googled it and he didnt write it. But plays a good semi lead character in it. But not the main one. Its very funny and clever IMO.

I looked up Bridget Christie in the hope of getting offended in the same way people watch horror movies to be scared. There really is a lack of videos on Youtube doing stand up and the few times she appears are very short clips of her cropping up on the odd panel show. The only one I found was:

I get the comparison of ants representing women and BAME.

Maybe it is just a bad upload but I just found her style to be dry and uninspiring. Seems as if the majority of the crowd weren't rolling on the floor laughing except for a handful who laughed at the end of every sentence. It is only in the second half that she started to read out jokes from a joke book that more of the crowd got stuck in and were more active.

That ant thing she did wasn't particularly funny, though as you gathered, she was making a political point.

I heard her on the radio last summer and then saw her perform last October. It
was very different to the ant piece and she was very funny.

She is married to Stuart Lee, who I sometines find funny and sometimes annoying.

Just reading through this thread again, and kept thinking when is someone gonna mention the funny women? There were a couple of mentions of Katherine Ryan and then '58 and myself gave Bridget Christie some acknowledgment.

It's a pretty obviously a male dominated industry but there are and have nevertheless been some brilliant female comedians. Some of personal favourites are:

Sally Phillips,
Julia Davis,
Catherine Tate,
Diane Morgan,
Rebecca Front,
Victoria Wood,
Jennifer Saunders
Kathy Burke,
Tracey Ullman,

Probably more if I thought about it for a while longer.

And as for unfunny, nobody's mentioned Roy Chubby Brown. Possibly because nobody realised he's still going. Still banging on with his racist, sexist and homophobic routines. Alas, it appears he is. Or at least is still trying to do so.

I only realised he was the other day when I read that his gig had been cancelled. Apparently he'd only sold 300 tickets but when his show got cancelled the far-right started frothing at the mouth and 28,000 people signed a petition! The venue should have simply said he'd not sold enough tickets!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-58463658

It'
That wouldn't have been true though would it? He was cancelled because his humour doesn't fit for everyone.
300 tickets sold for a gig next year doesn't seem bad to me personally.

Not so long ago, in a free world when people were allowed a carefree laugh, he sold out everywhere he went as did another blue comedian, Jimmy Jones.

I always thought Jones was much funnier, but everyone has a different sense of humour.

Their posters always make it clear that their humour is adult and easily offended should not attend.

Just reading through this thread again, and kept thinking when is someone gonna mention the funny women? There were a couple of mentions of Katherine Ryan and then '58 and myself gave Bridget Christie some acknowledgment.

It's a pretty obviously a male dominated industry but there are and have nevertheless been some brilliant female comedians. Some of personal favourites are:

Sally Phillips,
Julia Davis,
Catherine Tate,
Diane Morgan,
Rebecca Front,
Victoria Wood,
Jennifer Saunders
Kathy Burke,
Tracey Ullman,

Great list and agree about all of them although I always thought Dawn French was given most of the funny lines in French and Saunders, so should be added.

Diane Morgan seems to be on everything now, and I love her deadpan delivery.

However, are you sure that all those women have never told a sexist joke or taken part in a sketch at the expense of a man? I am thinking particularly about Katherine Ryan.

Sally Phillips,
Julia Davis,
Catherine Tate,
Diane Morgan,
Rebecca Front,
Victoria Wood,
Jennifer Saunders
Kathy Burke,
Tracey Ullman,

Probably more if I thought about it for a while longer.

And as for unfunny, nobody's mentioned Roy Chubby Brown. Possibly because nobody realised he's still going. Still banging on with his racist, sexist and homophobic routines. Alas, it appears he is. Or at least is still trying to do so.

I only realised he was the other day when I read that his gig had been cancelled. Apparently he'd only sold 300 tickets but when his show got cancelled the far-right started frothing at the mouth and 28,000 people signed a petition! The venue should have simply said he'd not sold enough tickets!

If people find a comedian offensive that's fair enough. A very simple solution to this is don't buy tickets to see them.

Morecambe and Wise.

I just cannot understand how anyone could find anything funny in their act. I know I'm in a minority here (or certainly was in their heyday). Tedious and irritating.

Morecambe and Wise.

I just cannot understand how anyone could find anything funny in their act. I know I'm in a minority here (or certainly was in their heyday). Tedious and irritating.

It recently came to light that they thought the same about Monty Python, just because they did not regard MP as being "professional". I think they may have been missing the point.

However, are you sure that all those women have never told a sexist joke or taken part in a sketch at the expense of a man? I am thinking particularly about Katherine Ryan.
That's different though. They are the right sort of sexist jokes, the ones the clever middle class people understand.

Jimmy Carr, Ricky Gervais and Frankie Boyle are overtly offensive, but clever people can understand the humour. The coarse, working class people that see Roy Chubby Brown wouldn't understand the nuanced difference.

Obvious there is comedy to suit every sense of humour, every taste etc. I agree with those who have singled out the unfunny Gervais and Brand. Always remember the Diana tribute concert when Gervais had to "ad lib" for three or four minutes and he was completely shown up.

Usually the bbc's flavour of the month are to be avoided. Romesh Ranganathan has no redeeming qualities as far as i can tell.

Jack Dee's deadpan i enjoy, reminds me a bit of Dave Allen. To enjoy them at their best you'd have to see Jimmy Carr and Frankie Boyle live rather than what the show on tv..

And i have a guilty pleasure for Tim Vine.

If they said they cancelled as they hadn't sold enough tickets then they would have been able to virtual signal their progressiveness. Plus usually it would be the comedian who would cancel the event in such cases and not the event. The venue would still get paid regardless of how many tickets sold and poor sales would impact the pocket of the hirer.

And as per the quote from the person who set up the petition:

1631870679303.png

you can really hear the snarling and frothing like a dog with rabies.