Unfunny Comedians | Page 5 | Vital Football

Unfunny Comedians

The two I can't stand is James Corden and any character by Leigh Francis.

I have tickets for Jasper Carrot and Milton Jones in the next six months.

I found find most comedians to be funny the first few times I see them but once you learn their style then they seem repetitive.

Right now I have more wider appreciation for the Milton Jones, Tim Vines, Stuart Francis style of "one 1-2 liner gag every 5 seconds" as the random scattergun approach makes them seem less predictable.
Saw Jasper Carrott a few years ago .The music bits were really good Bev Bevan and a few really good singers with him made for a enjoyable show. However I did not rated Jasper having enjoyed seeing him years back.Milton Jones is just did not find funny at all.A lot of the modern comedy in simply don't find funny. I must be getting old. Some modern comedy is just in very poor taste .I have seen a few comedians that have suprised me .I enjoyed Mark Steele live for example.

No probably because Russell Brand is unfunny and a twat ( personal ob only) although Chris Who may disagree and Buddha will be massively outraged.
I await....

I'm not outraged by that, Billy. I don't find Brand that funny and have often thought he's a bit of a twat. Though I reckon he'd probably accept thstucj himself, and that in itself is fairly admirable. I think he's an interesting chap but I'm not really a fan.

The ones I don't like are the Jim Davidson types (from previous generation) who rely on racism, sexism and homophobia for the majority of their material.

Current comedians who I find unfunny are Michael McIntyre and James Corden (is that his name?!).

I really like Katherine Ryan and Bridget Christie, both very funny women.

Also like Ross Noble and Mark Steele.

Overall all time favourites include Bill Hicks and Doug Stanhope.

Another vote for the Big Yin.

I thought Billy was the funniest thing ever when he broke through in the 70’s with his albums and stand up routines. And he’s every bit as funny still 40+ years later.

Last edited:
Has James Corden ever actually done stand up? I mean his own show, rather than being on the bill at the Comedy Club in front of a load of stag do’s.

I'm astonished that no one has mentioned the Chuckle Brothers. One good thing about having kids was that I could watch it. Problem was, the kids didn't think it was funny and I was left to watch it on my own, only to receive derision from my wife.

Has James Corden ever actually done stand up? I mean his own show, rather than being on the bill at the Comedy Club in front of a load of stag do’s.

He has done a load of "comedy" sketches like:

He also does short standup slots on The Late Late Show where most of the jokes are average with cheering mainly whenever he makes a joke at Donald Trump's expense.

I saw Bridget Christie live: really good. The fragile snowflake sexist men on this site won't like her though as she's one of those "feminists'.

I looked up Bridget Christie in the hope of getting offended in the same way people watch horror movies to be scared. There really is a lack of videos on Youtube doing stand up and the few times she appears are very short clips of her cropping up on the odd panel show. The only one I found was:

I get the comparison of ants representing women and BAME.

Maybe it is just a bad upload but I just found her style to be dry and uninspiring. Seems as if the majority of the crowd weren't rolling on the floor laughing except for a handful who laughed at the end of every sentence. It is only in the second half that she started to read out jokes from a joke book that more of the crowd got stuck in and were more active.

I`ve heard that Bernard Manning was pretty entertaining at his live stand-up comedy shows in Manchester. Only a rumour, of course.................

Not sure why you see a comedy club as not a proper gig. Its seen as the rite of passage and hardest gig there is sometimes. rooms of drunkards and people not scared to pipe up and tell you what they really think. The comedy store and 99 comedy club in London are great nights out and usually much funnier than mainstream one comedian gigs. In fact even if you see a mainstream comedian at one they are usually funnier than on tv.

No a comedian, but my least favourite show on tv which is meant to be funny is 'play to the whistle'. Its absolute garbage and makes 'a league of their own' seem palatable.

As Brits, we used to be envied around the world for our ability to laugh at ourselves and not take ourselves too seriously. Those days seem far off.
Anyway as we are slipping into 'funny' rather than 'unfunny' comedians then James Acaster, Jethro and Sarah Pascoe were all different but very good live. TV knocks a lot of the fun out of a comedian's rapport with an audience. It's much easier to dismiss someone when you can switch them off with a remote.

I looked up Bridget Christie in the hope of getting offended in the same way people watch horror movies to be scared. There really is a lack of videos on Youtube doing stand up and the few times she appears are very short clips of her cropping up on the odd panel show. The only one I found was:

I get the comparison of ants representing women and BAME.

Maybe it is just a bad upload but I just found her style to be dry and uninspiring. Seems as if the majority of the crowd weren't rolling on the floor laughing except for a handful who laughed at the end of every sentence. It is only in the second half that she started to read out jokes from a joke book that more of the crowd got stuck in and were more active.
The show I saw in Wardour St was hilarious. I was laughing so much I was choking and she stopped mid sentence to see if I was ok. I think the particular sketch was a piss take of ludicrously sexist and absurd TV ads.
It was the "A Bic for her" show. The "Bic" being a special pink colured one for women. Apparently women aren't strong enough to pick up the conventional ones nor can they be persuaded to buy one unless it's pink. The show was obviously far funnier than I've managed to depict (mercifully).

Used to see a fair few comedians back in the day, Duncan "chase me chase me" Norvelle, who was of his time and mildly amusing. Saw Freddie Starr at Blazes in Windsor, he had a great voice. The best i saw was Jimmy Tarbuck and Kenny Lynch. Excellent duo. I also saw Dara O' Brien at the Central Hall who was superb. Biggest disappointment was Lenny Henry who toured a few years back and he did a this is your life style show and it was dire.

He has done a load of "comedy" sketches like:

He also does short standup slots on The Late Late Show where most of the jokes are average with cheering mainly whenever he makes a joke at Donald Trump's expense.
One of the funniest things I ever saw on tv was his sketch with George Michael for Comic Relief although I think it was actually George that made it funny.

Biggest disappointment was Lenny Henry who toured a few years back and he did a this is your life style show and it was dire.
Yep told you. The blokes odd. Really dont know how he gets any air time at all these days. I think comic relief just feel sorry for him, its part of the charity to let him do 5 mins a year on tv.