Under 23s | Page 5 | Vital Football

Under 23s

He's never going to be good enough to be a first team regular at Man U but he does look like one of our best players and could definitely become a regular at a mid-to-lower end Prem club in a few years.

He's never going to be good enough to be a first team regular at Man U but he does look like one of our best players and could definitely become a regular at a mid-to-lower end Prem club in a few years.

He's at that stage in his career, where he will want to be playing regularly - hopefully, he enjoys it at Forest & we get an opportunity to make the deal permanent - at a reason fee!

He's at that stage in his career, where he will want to be playing regularly - hopefully, he enjoys it at Forest & we get an opportunity to make the deal permanent - at a reason fee!

You'd have to think anything above 4m is going to be a bit rich at this stage, but wouldn't be surprised if they want more.

God no. Therefore I could see us sign him.

But at that age maybe he should go out on loan to a league one club for a while eh ;)

You miss the point Paz - he's from an academy that is a step above ours and always will be due to their fiscal resources.

As we do with our youngsters, MU have loaned to a lower league to gain experience.

Perhaps they'll give him an opportunity in the summer, but it's certainly worth a punt.

You'd have to think anything above 4m is going to be a bit rich at this stage, but wouldn't be surprised if they want more.

They have an option to extend his contract by 1 year, if not - come the summer he enters the final year of his contract - so, I think he will be available at a reasonable (sub £4m) fee - with options.

Much of that misses my point tho , that it isnt about the official u23's side who currently are that moixed bag, Im talking about players ages along with a structure of playing throughout the academy for years which means they should be able to slot into a system.

So we should be utilising them more and the age of the team should be far lower than it has been for a number of years, Put your best young prospects in such as BJ and Mighten and Gabriel along with the Yates's and Garners and Worrals.

I simply do not believe that our side this year even with those 3 kids I mention in the side every week would have been worse than we have been, In fact Id be inclined to think wed have been better, but either way it would have continuity and progress and not to mention would save us literally tens of thousands of pounds a week!

Thats another rabbit hole in itself. Freeman, Knocky, Grabs, Taylor, Lolley, Murray, Ameobi. Must be 150k a week? week in week out, even with no crowds and they have given us how many goals? Actually when I look att that list I dont understand how we scored 28 or whatever it is. It hits home really, Id get rid of all those despite some mercurial talents.

If our academy cant produce players that can compete with this dross then thats just poor.

It's always hard to actually work out your point, as it appears to meander.

As I keep saying, the academy has been a major source of revenue and players for our first team for years and we've clearly used the best prospects for our first team, a fair proportion of which have then been sold on at substantial profit.

HOWEVER - we will perhaps have 2-3 graduates, per academic year, that may make the grade - others move on, some like Jorge Grant, Tyler Walker etc still generate a few quid, but with sell on clauses.

We're in a highly competitive market, with Derby, Leicester & Stoke all having Cat 1 academies and you still fail to grasp that it's about numbers - get as many 'decent' kids in, see what they can do, keep a small proportion, rinse & repeat.

Pick up released players, like Brereton, Cash & Gibson Hammond etc and ideally someone like Garner, with a point to prove.

Clearly, it's an objective to get as many through to first team as possible but there isn't a magic wand (except in your world) to produce 5-10 kids a year and even if we did, some get poached before they make our first team & some get sold after a handful of appearances (Bamford, Burke, Appiah).

Gabriel played some games early in the season and was not ready for this level.

Yates is much maligned, certainly before this season - as was Worrall and it's their loans that gave them experience & a platform to become first team regulars.

I hope that's the case with BJ & Mighten, but you have to be careful with them - confidence is such a fragile thing and BJ will come back buzzing, Mighten will hope to push on next season.

Dross? I get the point about wages, but the rest is just rubbish.

Excluding this season, where both have had injury problems - Grabban & Lolley have been excellent.

Grabban is the first player to score 20 in a season and his injury problems have stemmed from being our sole striker last year & Lolley hit double figures.

Murray was brought in to steady the ship & Knocky is typically our biggest threat.

Taylor - hardly played, ditto Freeman (injured for 4 months) & Ameobi (on his day, when he can be arsed) is unplayable.

There has to be a mixture of youth/experience and I'm hoping Hughton, will take us forward, continue clearing out expensive unwanted players and most importantly work with Gary Brazil to build that culture/ethos.

It's always hard to actually work out your point, as it appears to meander.

As I keep saying, the academy has been a major source of revenue and players for our first team for years and we've clearly used the best prospects for our first team, a fair proportion of which have then been sold on at substantial profit.

HOWEVER - we will perhaps have 2-3 graduates, per academic year, that may make the grade - others move on, some like Jorge Grant, Tyler Walker etc still generate a few quid, but with sell on clauses.

We're in a highly competitive market, with Derby, Leicester & Stoke all having Cat 1 academies and you still fail to grasp that it's about numbers - get as many 'decent' kids in, see what they can do, keep a small proportion, rinse & repeat.

Pick up released players, like Brereton, Cash & Gibson Hammond etc and ideally someone like Garner, with a point to prove.

Clearly, it's an objective to get as many through to first team as possible but there isn't a magic wand (except in your world) to produce 5-10 kids a year and even if we did, some get poached before they make our first team & some get sold after a handful of appearances (Bamford, Burke, Appiah).

Gabriel played some games early in the season and was not ready for this level.

Yates is much maligned, certainly before this season - as was Worrall and it's their loans that gave them experience & a platform to become first team regulars.

I hope that's the case with BJ & Mighten, but you have to be careful with them - confidence is such a fragile thing and BJ will come back buzzing, Mighten will hope to push on next season.

Dross? I get the point about wages, but the rest is just rubbish.

Excluding this season, where both have had injury problems - Grabban & Lolley have been excellent.

Grabban is the first player to score 20 in a season and his injury problems have stemmed from being our sole striker last year & Lolley hit double figures.

Murray was brought in to steady the ship & Knocky is typically our biggest threat.

Taylor - hardly played, ditto Freeman (injured for 4 months) & Ameobi (on his day, when he can be arsed) is unplayable.

There has to be a mixture of youth/experience and I'm hoping Hughton, will take us forward, continue clearing out expensive unwanted players and most importantly work with Gary Brazil to build that culture/ethos.
Spot on.

You miss the point Paz - he's from an academy that is a step above ours and always will be due to their fiscal resources.

As we do with our youngsters, MU have loaned to a lower league to gain experience.

Perhaps they'll give him an opportunity in the summer, but it's certainly worth a punt.

I cant say i have seen that many young manure players get sold for big fees the last few years Ok,, some make the first team, but those are from much bigger resources and pool of players as you say. Garners looked ok, but I dont personally think he has looked better than BJ for example. He's obviously not looked brilliant hence no one thinks he will get in the manure side. But y'all know my thoughts I d rather have youth , energy and prgression so Id be signing him if its viable.

I cant say i have seen that many young manure players get sold for big fees the last few years Ok,, some make the first team, but those are from much bigger resources and pool of players as you say. Garners looked ok, but I dont personally think he has looked better than BJ for example. He's obviously not looked brilliant hence no one thinks he will get in the manure side. But y'all know my thoughts I d rather have youth , energy and prgression so Id be signing him if its viable.

We'd all prefer to have that, but there has to be a mixture - the likes of MU, City, Chelsea, Liverpool etc etc snap up youngsters that we're in for - but a large percentage never make it with them, but do get chances at lower levels.

Clearly their best prospects are kept.

Garner plays a different role to BJ and notably he looks comfortable at this level - BJ is doing well for Lincoln in L1 and the step up to Championship is massive.

We'd all prefer to have that, but there has to be a mixture - the likes of MU, City, Chelsea, Liverpool etc etc snap up youngsters that we're in for - but a large percentage never make it with them, but do get chances at lower levels.

Clearly their best prospects are kept.

Garner plays a different role to BJ and notably he looks comfortable at this level - BJ is doing well for Lincoln in L1 and the step up to Championship is massive.
he already looked quality to me when he played for us, I touted him as our next JJ, in the sense one of our own youngsters with very similar styles. To have him n Garner in there instead of say Colback, Cafu, Bachirou etc etc would be a dream. Maybe yates backing them up. That would be like an 10 year age drop average. Count me in ;)

If we were offered 10m for either Mckenna and Woz, who would you sell? It feels like we will need to raise funds to spend 10m next window and Im nervous about losing Woz.
Maybe the club can suprise us and get rid of half the squad and raise enough. Obvioulsy im hopeful Grabban might get a fee

If we were offered 10m for either Mckenna and Woz, who would you sell? It feels like we will need to raise funds to spend 10m next window and Im nervous about losing Woz.
Maybe the club can suprise us and get rid of half the squad and raise enough. Obvioulsy im hopeful Grabban might get a fee

McKenna in a heartbeat, probably Worrall too in this current financial climate.

Though my faith in how it would be reinvested...

Several on here have mentioned Gibson Hammond playing for the U 23’s I see two more Hammonds played last night in U 18’s. Anyone know if they are related and if so how?

If hed scored a few beauties then people might think its possible to play higher level... Like BJ has done this year. I still love a player with that instinct for scoring goals from midfield, Im biased as hell there but I think those players can do that at almostany level presuming theyre fit enough

McKenna in a heartbeat, probably Worrall too in this current financial climate.

Though my faith in how it would be reinvested...
whichever way you dress that bit up we wouldnt get a better player than Woz so it would be a backward step.. Weve proven that enough times anyway. If the board are good at thier jobs they will find ways of being this shit without selling our best players, you know what, it might just work

Several on here have mentioned Gibson Hammond playing for the U 23’s I see two more Hammonds played last night in U 18’s. Anyone know if they are related and if so how?
put the kettle on Pol
Oliver Hammond was listed with us as midfielder but there wasnt any info about his age, nationality or anything when I looked. The other Hammond lad, Im told was a possibly on trial with us along with a couple of others this last fortnight but unsure if any relation or just coincidences

I was quite taken with an interview by Tyrese fornah recently. Sounded super confident and sure about where he's heading, despite taking a bit of stick it seems in a winning side. Arghh, of course hes the dreaded holding midfielder but just on his words Id stick him in ahead of our motley older crew.

p.s those that saw my other post, the bird with the dog is still there and shes a Pilgrim so Ive had to watch them occassionally the last few seasons. Theyre actually a well run club it seems and play progressive footie. She says hes done really well in that role and just basically tidied up all match

Last edited:
If hed scored a few beauties then people might think its possible to play higher level... Like BJ has done this year. I still love a player with that instinct for scoring goals from midfield, Im biased as hell there but I think those players can do that at almostany level presuming theyre fit enough

Most people seem to think that Jorge Grant couldn't replicate that at almost any level.