Under 23`s | Page 4 | Vital Football

Under 23`s

Young Simon Power had another good game for Dordrecht. Like Cantwell before him, he is doing well and showing DF what he can do. I think he might be involved with the 1st team next season

Must have been a media day at the u23s or something as a few have been speaking to the press.

Alfie Payne, a player I really like and think could be a future starter, has come out and said next season he has to be playing 'mens' football. He would love it to be at his club Norwich but if not then he will go out on loan for a season. He said he is happy to play anywhere. I say get him on another contract ' 2-year one' and loan out to league 1 or championship and then get him back for the 1st team if he does well.

Then we have Josh Coley who until recently was working as a bricklayer (like Holt) and is loving every minute of his time with us. He said that he wants to get into the 1st team but knows he is a long way off and is happy to wait. Said that he has done the non-league men's football before so a loan to the next level would be best.

Finally, one of the January signings Gassan Ahadme has come out and said he models himself on C.Ronaldo. He scored his first goal for the u23s recently and says he wants more - starting with Man Utd u23s.

I think the fact that the u23s and u18s see players like Cantwell, Lewis, Aarons, Godfrey and even ones who have left like Matthews all now playing first team championship football it is a real boost to them. I wonder if DF has a list of players he thinks will make the step up, ones who will need a loan to improve or show what they can do and finally ones that will need moving or would that be down to Academy director?

I would think players who have gone on loan might be in his mind like Power, Richards, Abrahams and Mourgos. But surely the likes of Idah, Spyrou and Payne have to be there too.

Oh and I see that it looks like we are now trying to sign spuds youth player
Maxwell Statham. He was on trial with us but went back to london maybe to have a final chat about his future.

It was stated that he found his lack of game time frustrating and saw a move away as the only option. Does that mean we will be looking to have him in our 1st team for next season? Or would it be a u23 signing and to loan out to a side to give him first team football?

So that will be Statham and Martin from Arsenal who we have been linked.

Another question for you guys - are you happy to sign other clubs young talent or do you think it hampers the youngsters we have?

So a decent week for the loan chaps.

Husband scored a super goal for Fleetwood - I didn't realise he could take freekicks.

Power came on late for Dordrecht and scored (apparently) but I can only see that he was involved with a goal.

Oli scored against some lowly club.

Abrahams scored his first two goals for Yeovil and he was playing as an attacking winger.

Richards continued his American tour playing for Tampa Bay in their pre season.

U23s drew 2-2 with Stoke u23s. Idah scored both late on to rescue a point as we were 2 down. Surely it is time for Idah to either move to 1st team or get a loan

McGovern

Passlack
Lomas (Payne 45)
Dronfield
Heise

Thompson (McIntosh 72)
Milovanovic
Scully
Coley

Ahadme (Spyrou 72)
Idah.

Young forward Spyrou has been moved on loan to Wrexham. Good move for him and glad he is hopefully going to play competitive football.

Simon Power has picked up an injury and is out of the u21 Ireland squad but could also be the end of his loan too as they have scanned it and it is a grade 1 calf tear so one would think he will be out for a while.