UK Surveillance Law | Vital Football

UK Surveillance Law

Stephen Jay Hawkings

Vital Football Legend
So this just seemed to happen under the radar without any public debate. All in the name of "terrorism" and the like I suppose.

Scary times

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/29/snoopers-charter-bill-becomes-law-extending-uk-state-surveillance

There was a petition against it, so not sure how it happened under the radar.

I can't believe it got through. There was a lot of objection to it in the Commons.

Here you go. They got the 100,000 signatures needed, so hopefully something can be done to repeal this.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/173199

MI5 saying any system can be hacked, and this database will be too much to resist. Imagine what it could do in the wrong hands?

EDIT
Just looked properly, and a response had already been made. They made certain changes including a new privacy clause, but the Bill was still passed.

shocker innit
still at least only select agencies can access the data
oh
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/investigatory-powers-bill-act-snoopers-charter-browsing-history-what-does-it-mean-a7436251.html

It's not much consolation but this was the amendment added:-

"This privacy clause ensures that in each and every case a public authority must consider whether less intrusive means could be used, and must have regard to human rights and the particular sensitivity of certain information"

Just look up the dirt on a company called Hikvision whose equipment is in most UK Government sites and are controlled by the Chinese Government.
The USA have just kicked them out of their embassies and sensitive sites.

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 30/11/2016 13:39

It's not much consolation but this was the amendment added:-

"This privacy clause ensures that in each and every case a public authority must consider whether less intrusive means could be used, and must have regard to human rights and the particular sensitivity of certain information"

Its pretty flimsy.

Not sure which article it was but one listed the amount of agencies that could request the details as well and it was pretty long!

IF there was a strong (very strong) reason to suspect major terrorism being planned then ok but this looks like a massive stretch doesn't it?

The Fear - 1/12/2016 17:30

IF there was a strong (very strong) reason to suspect major terrorism being planned then ok but this looks like a massive stretch doesn't it?

Yeah, if the reason for it was actual terrorism, corruption, paedophilia etc. then fine. But if that's the case, why not just get access to records of people under suspicion?

It would be nice if it worked both ways wouldn't it? Imagine the amount of dirt that would be exposed on the politicians and powers that be?

Also I do worry how thick I've been over the years searching for certain things on google.

I mean, how could I possibly know what would happen when I was looking for tea bags for instance :3:

The Fear - 1/12/2016 18:52

I mean, how could I possibly know what would happen when I was looking for tea bags for instance :3:

That reminds me of the time I searched for Gary Oldman, but accidentally left out the "r"

:10:

Why would the Food Standards Agency want to know what anyone's internet history is?

It's all stuff that they've been doing for years illegally. Now they've legalised it.

I'm not saying it's right, it's not but short of revolution, they'll do what they like because they view people like us as their real enemy.