UK Floods | Vital Football

UK Floods

Barney2004

Vital 1st Team Regular
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26056696

Look at some of the videos on this link. This is Dawlish, a seaside town in devon where the railway track runs straight across the coastline.

Could the government do more to protect places like this, flood guards across the british coastlines maybe? I know you cant predict mother nature, but something more could be done for these towns and the people that live in them than whats being done at the moment.

I'm probably just on my high horse because Dawlish is one of my favourite places to go to.... or do I have a point?

sending Millions and millions to the Philippines, Africa, Pakistan etc... and look at whats happening in our country. Charity starts at home. These poor people here have lost their homes and businesses.

Same story in many parts of Ireland. People were able to swim down one of the streets in Cork city centre.

and once cleared up, etc they will find their insurance trebles if they can get any.

The Gov should be helping more, they have sanctioned so much of the building on flood planes after-all.

agreed. Every year there is at least a town that is either stranded or parts of it destroyed. This year seems to be one of the worst. They need to stop looking after other countries and look after ours. Then maybe think about sending money.

The whole coastline should be protected, and then the rivers. I know it will cost a fortune, but so what, I cant see anyone having a problem with it. I feel sorry for these people.

And people wonder why headlines like India's space programme get headlines when we send them aid, when for a fraction of that spend Dawlish is saying £30m would be a great starting defence to get the tracks back up and so on and buy time to build a real defence.

Parliament is doing all it can, daily update meetings and trying to point score :35:

didn't Britain also fund a 100m war ship in india? or something like that? i'd prefer that money to go towards the british people that need it (not benefits) but making the flood defence stronger.

It irritates me when people whinge about us sending money to poorer parts of the world, after our hungry corporations have plundered their natural resources.

The money we send them is a fraction of what the bankers in London take home as bonuses every year.

SherlockGT - 6/2/2014 11:45

It irritates me when people whinge about us sending money to poorer parts of the world, after our hungry corporations have plundered their natural resources.

The money we send them is a fraction of what the bankers in London take home as bonuses every year.

money overseas... bankers... benefits etc all need to be looked at.

'our' corporations and bankers who earn their own money and good money by gambling on stocks, options, hedges etc etc, over countries who take 'our' money, that we don't have a choice in, plunder it, and don't spend it on what it's meant for anyway?

I'd love to know 'a' banker who makes more in bonuses a year to be honest.

Not heard that one Barney...there's no doubt we should send less, and idiotic decisions like India and the space programme only arm those who'd cancel it completely. When spent properly it's fine it's a pittance, but a shed load is wasted and could be used far better on home soil or not simply on ensuring the taxpayer funds the opening of doors for Gov deals like arms etc.

plus if its our money that's going abroad , then I think people have the right to moan... If you lived in Dawlish and your house was half way to wales washed up in the sea then would your view be different?

please don't take my replies as an attack... just asking :) :35:

I couldn't even start to think from the point of view of someone in Dawlish right now Barney so I wont even try answer that! I don't take your reply as an attack at all. I once thought the same about "our money" being sent abroad as aid but after a bit of education I found that what we send is not nearly enough to cover what we actually take out of those countries.

I found your response slightly confusing Mike, but I would much rather send money to under developed countries in the hope that it helps improve the standard of life there,than line the pockets of already very wealthy people.

I have no problem with sending money overseas but only until we have the needs we need in this country first. Eg: flood barriers around the coast etc. In this day and age there shouldn't be british families suffering because of a flood, that could have been prevented. Like I said in an earlier post, obviously we cant predict mother nature... but we can be more prepared. Then the government say that we cant afford to be prepared because flood barriers cost too much, but we can send millions to other countries.... come on mate, wheres the logic in this?

... not only about floods either. We have homeless people on the streets of Britain, dying every year, yet we send millions over to the slums in other countries. Again, wheres the logic?

we should sort our own country out before we sort others.

The money we have should be used more effectively on front-line defences, AS WELL as continuing with our moral obligation to send aid abroad!

I cant agree with sending money to other countries whilst there are people suffering over here. it dosen't add up.

Confusing - probably cause I missed the line out saying 'when foreign aid is mentioned, why does it always come back to bankers' lol I always find it a cop out, especially as bank bailouts wise we'll be in profit and I say that as somebody who would've rather seen them crumble as the system could've picked up the slack, as would other competition.

I disagree with wasting foreign aid when clearly we have issues in this country to deal with hence my India space programme crack, as basically put our money to them is to foster cosy business relationships ie taxpayer money to create private/Gov opportunity.

I'm however not again foreign aid, I just don't believe we do it correctly.

I would also argue it wasn't a moral obligation. Morally we should take care of ever person in this country first and we don't. Morally we shouldn't get involved in other countries and cultures because we always fck it up.

Morals are irrelevant, because that's not why it's done, how it's done, that's just how it's justified.

Anyway back on topic - I do like the suggestions for Dawlish that they should simply build a new railway in land where it would be safe.

Would do a lot for the humans and homes that wouldn't it, their MP woman was actually quite impressive (in argument you filthy buggers!). Clearm concise, sensible, weighed every option and showed why that suggestion was rollocks in probably a three minute interview.