U23s | Vital Football

U23s

Is it the U18's or U23's that have something mad like a 14 game winning spree and isn't this their first year playing a higher level of competition?

Really impressive stuff from the manager, coaches and players. Next year after relegation the finances could dictate a lot of these young lads may be required to be in and around the first team.

As well as they are doing now the step up to the mens game is always a tough one, but hopefully this could be one of those rare groups that is special and can on a smaller scale maybe be what Leeds had when they had that 1 golden group of young lads all stepped up at once.

Last edited:
Fantastic performance and shows the talent we’re bringing through. With Cook in charge none of them stand a chance of progressing to the first team, we’ll still be watching Gary Roberts come on as sub before any of them even get in the squad.

It’s sad because other clubs are giving youngsters a chance, we’ll probably release some of them in the summer and they’ll go elsewhere and become a success.

Watched the game on LTV.Really impressed with the hunger,desire and ability of these lads.As a team they were superb more than matching one of the best academies in the country and deserved the win.
We pressed them,put good tackles in(some tasty ones too),passed the ball well at times putting some good moves together and counter attacked with pace.We looked a threat from set pieces and when we occasionally went more direct we had men around the striker for the 2nd ball.
Both teams had lots of decent chances and the game could of finished about 8-5 to us.It should of been 4-0 as we had a ridiculous goal ruled out for a non foul on their GK from a set piece towards the end.
I thought everyone played well in atrocious conditions(fair play to the fans as well).Impressed with our GK Jones,full backs Golden and Robinson,Obi the centre half and Crankshaw our right winger.
Really positive things going on in our academies at the moment which is great to see/hear about.
Still in a bit of shock watching a tics team win because it was more clinical in the final third than our opponents!Up the young tics!

Just seen the Under 23s have won again,3-2 against top of the league Forest.Tom Pearce,Baningime and a trialist with the goals after coming from 2-0 down.Joffy played so good to see he's recovered from illness.(Just seen the highlights have been posted on transfer window thread after I wrote this.)
The under 18s Fa youth cup last 16 game against Brum sadly won't be at the DW on Wed 5th Feb due to the amount of games being played on the pitch around that time.Shame,I bet a lot of tics fans would have gone to that.It's at Leyland,same as the U23 win over Liverpool.
If they both carry on their cup runs and the latter stage games are at the DW,I can see there being bigger crowds on for those games than the 1st team ones at this rate.

That trialist fella must be getting on a bit now.
He was trying to find a club in the 80s when I 1st started watching Latics.
Good luck to him anyway I hope he gets fixed up soon .