Two years ago today. | Vital Football

Two years ago today.

On the subject of supporters, did anyone see the empty seats at the Etihad tonight?

Have the fans got a two year ban as well? :rofl:

And two relegation battles. .....

Isn't that the fate of most promoted teams ..... whatever the standard?

Regardless. The 1st XI are better positioned in the league than the time you mention. Our Dev Squad are doing well, our U18s are doing superb.

What exactly is "absolutely criminal"? Seriously.

Winning football and success in League 1 or abject losing football and failure in the Championship? I know what I preferred.

No, but we would need to be winning most weeks. Worry is we go down and without any backing from whoever is in charge these days, continue losing.
Oh, of course, I agree. But from the initial post, the uninformed wouldn't have guessed that we'd been in a higher division for the past two seasons.

Also, there's a certain irony in posting summat like this (after his other thread has been removed) at a point where we've shown a few fighting performances of late.

Oh, of course, I agree. But from the initial post, the uninformed wouldn't have guessed that we'd been in a higher division for the past two seasons.

Also, there's a certain irony in posting summat like this (after his other thread has been removed) at a point where we've shown a few fighting performances of late.

It is a lifestyle choice mate. The wife put me right years ago. Most times it's easier to spot the bad than look for signs of good. There's good and bad in most of us but norm prefers the easy route.

Yeah thats it bury your heads in the sand, lets pretend that everything at WAFC is fine and dandy.

I honestly can't believe our fans would rather flirt with relegation every other season and some would rather watch us win games in League 1 than try and establish ourselves in the Championship, talk about taking the easy route.

With the right backing, a decent manager there is no reason why Wigan Athletic can't become an established Championship club at least, you only have to look at Millwall to see how their fortunes have changed since hiring a new manager.

You lot keep those blinkers on, see you in League 1 again in August!

Norm, your capacity for hyperbole is only matched by your ability to read between the lines to find something that wasn't actually said !

Find me any recent post in any recent thread that argues - or even pretends - that "everything at WAFC is fine and dandy." (NB: That's a quote from your post, just in case you decide to delete another one :rolleyes:).

Who has said that they would "rather flirt with relegation every other season and some would rather watch us win games in League 1 than try and establish ourselves in the Championship," ? No-one, as far as I can see.

If things aren't going fantastic, that doesn't automatically mean they are going disastrously. Just because you choose to take such a pessimistic view doesn't mean that's "the truth".

The team certainly don't appear to have given up hope on staying up .......... so why should we.

Norm, your capacity for hyperbole is only matched by your ability to read between the lines to find something that wasn't actually said !

Who has said that they would "rather flirt with relegation every other season and some would rather watch us win games in League 1 than try and establish ourselves in the Championship," ? No-one, as far as I can see.

Winning football and success in League 1 or abject losing football and failure in the Championship? I know what I preferred.

There you go.

There you go.

Your capacity for misrepresenting a post knows no bounds.

Dan doesn't say he wants to flirt with relegation. All he says is that if we go down, he'll enjoy watching us win games in League 1.

I imagine Dan would like us to establish ourselves as (at least) a Championship club every bit as much as you...... though I'll let him speak for himself.

You're quite entitled to your miserable opinion .................... just don't expect everyone else to share it.

Your capacity for misrepresenting a post knows no bounds.

Dan doesn't say he wants to flirt with relegation. All he says is that if we go down, he'll enjoy watching us win games in League 1.

I imagine Dan would like us to establish ourselves as (at least) a Championship club every bit as much as you...... though I'll let him speak for himself.

You're quite entitled to your miserable opinion .................... just don't expect everyone else to share it.

I’m sick of struggling so I’ll get over relegation quickly if it happens. The two recent seasons in League 1 were great for me. Lots of enjoyable away days at friendly family orientated, lower league clubs. We haven’t the resources to ever get back to the top in my opinion so surely it’s better to watch winning football albeit at a lower level.

I’m sick of struggling so I’ll get over relegation quickly if it happens. The two recent seasons in League 1 were great for me. Lots of enjoyable away days at friendly family orientated, lower league clubs. We haven’t the resources to ever get back to the top in my opinion so surely it’s better to watch winning football albeit at a lower level.

Resources and getting back into the top flight aren't automatically aligned. In reccent years Cardiff went from relegation candidates to promoted in 1 year with all freebies and loans under Warnock. Wilder spent very modestly signing a squad based mostly of players we could've had but didn't fancy at the time to get Sheffield United from L1 to the Prem in 3 seasons. Huddersfield went from relegation battlers to play off winners by making 5 amazing loan signings no one had heard of.

Of course having massive resources help but look at this season we were the second biggest Net spenders and we are one of the worst teams in the league while Preston have barely spent any money in years and are play off hopefuls and unfancied teams like Millwall spent less than us but thanks to having a good manager are in the play off pack after a disapointing start to the season under the previous manager.

We can get back to the Prem but it will take the right manager and smart recruitment. Easier said than done but we should never assume that resources predetermine our destiny.

But ultimately it doesn't matter if us fans enjoy winning in L1 more than battling in a higher league as the cost of running the club means the lower you are in the pyramid the harder it is for the club to be sustainable due to the drop off in revenue. On a football front if all clubs could safely make a profit or break even regardless of division i would be perfectly fine with being in L1, but in reality every year in L1 is a financial strain on the club and puts our future at risk. You could say the same about being in the Championship compared to the Prem too, but in the Championship you get 6m at least for being there compared to about 1m in L1 - plus the drop in attendance becomes more damaging and the value of player sales to the league above drops drastically (for example if Geldhart is ripping up trees in the Champ his price will easily double compared to him doing the same in L1). Granted 6m in the Champ isn't a lot to play with in football but it gives you some room to work with, while 1m is simply never going to be enough to do anything.

There's also the distinct possibility without being able to effectively outspend the rest of the division so heavily on fees or wages like we did the last 3 times we were in L1 and won it - we wont actually do that well and it turns out we'll just struggle against weaker oposition every week - so it will be worse than it is now. I thought it was pretty obvious we'd win L1 the last 3 teams we were in it, i was very confident, but this time i don't fancy us to bounce back if we go down. I fear for us this time.

Relegation is a disaster for the club off the pitch and i fear the consequences under our new owners who seem to already be highly concerned about the spiralling cost of running the club at this level.