Twitter Pearler | Page 3 | Vital Football

Twitter Pearler

Indeed, loto after covid took hold. I agree on previous issues they could have acted sooner, particularly in March. However unless they had a crystal ball I’m unsure how you can call them naive and out on the timing on the covid mutant. They reacted on evidence that was only available to them Friday, Starmer wanted Christmas cancelled regardless of the new strain. Whenever I think matters have been handled badly I look at the opposition bench and realise it could have been far worse.

New variant or not, they knew the numbers were going up again. In fact, they've been criticised by senior members within their own party for deliberately lying to (or at least misleading) the house ........ "extremely egregious" according to Sir Charles Walker.

So, no crystal ball required........... just some other kind of balls, to tell the bloody truth for once. I suppose in their defence, the government does display an admirable amount of bollocks when it comes to talking.

Yada, Yada,Yada.....or in some cases groundhog day brexit style replies here....he said / she said, alongside the hindsight brigade. I get u don't like BJ ( I'm not that keen either) but imo your hatred of him tends to sway any positive views you may have of him or this government.

Yada, Yada,Yada.....or in some cases groundhog day brexit style replies here....he said / she said, alongside the hindsight brigade. I get u don't like BJ ( I'm not that keen either) but imo your hatred of him tends to sway any positive views you may have of him or this government.

I'm more than happy to discuss any positives he might have Jock ............. might be a short thread though.
;)

I've praised the rest of his government (Hancock, Sunak ........ struggling to think of any more mind) when they've done well ............ I just honestly can't think of any single time when Johnson has looked remotely statesmanlike, authoritative, or even competent. The only credit I can offer is that he's not a malignant narcissist, like Trump.

New variant or not, they knew the numbers were going up again. In fact, they've been criticised by senior members within their own party for deliberately lying to (or at least misleading) the house ........ "extremely egregious" according to Sir Charles Walker.

So, no crystal ball required........... just some other kind of balls, to tell the bloody truth for once. I suppose in their defence, the government does display an admirable amount of bollocks when it comes to talking.

Speaking of bollocks....They only knew about the transmissibility of the new strain on Friday afternoon and that it was responsible for the rapid rise in cases in London and SE. The impact was analysed, virologists and other experts liaised with and a cabinet meeting held Saturday in which new measures decided upon and communicated to the public. So yeah a crystal ball would be needed to make a decision much quicker, and given that entailed telling the public to tailor their Christmas plans and the anticipated toy throwing it would generate i’d say that demonstrated considerable balls as you put it.

I'm more than happy to discuss any positives he might have Jock ............. might be a short thread though.
;)

I've praised the rest of his government (Hancock, Sunak ........ struggling to think of any more mind) when they've done well ............ I just honestly can't think of any single time when Johnson has looked remotely statesmanlike, authoritative, or even competent. The only credit I can offer is that he's not a malignant narcissist, like Trump.

Your quicker off the blocks than Usain Bolt with your political replies....like a pig 🐖 in shit ain't ya 😉.
The more people you reply with the happier you are i reckon.....

Speaking of bollocks......They only knew about the transmissibility of the new strain on Friday afternoon and that it was responsible for the rapid rise in cases in London and SE.

Give over ..... no they didn't. We both know you're not that naive. They may only have attributed the rise to a new variant on friday, but they could see the numbers rising well before then.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

The impact was analysed, virologists and other experts liaised with and a cabinet meeting held Saturday in which new measures decided upon and communicated to the public. So yeah a crystal ball would be needed to make a decision much quicker, and given that entailed telling the public to tailor their Christmas plans and the anticipated toy throwing it would generate i’d say that demonstrated considerable balls as you put it.

Sir Charles Walker doesn't believe that MiW, so I'm not sure why you should.

Speaking of bollocks....They only knew about the transmissibility of the new strain on Friday afternoon and that it was responsible for the rapid rise in cases in London and SE. The impact was analysed, virologists and other experts liaised with and a cabinet meeting held Saturday in which new measures decided upon and communicated to the public. So yeah a crystal ball would be needed to make a decision much quicker, and given that entailed telling the public to tailor their Christmas plans and the anticipated toy throwing it would generate i’d say that demonstrated considerable balls as you put it.

We'll never ever know how any other party leaders would have handled it....but it's dead easy to criticise the Leader / party that's in power which has to make those hard, quick & unpleasant decisions....sometimes they get them right, sometimes not but we are in an ever changing situation / environment.

Give over ..... no they didn't. We both know you're not that naive. They may only have attributed the rise to a new variant on friday, but they could see the numbers rising well before then.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

Sir Charles Walker doesn't believe that MiW, so I'm not sure why you should.

Exactly. They saw the numbers rising so upgraded the Tier level in London ahead of the agreed review date to address it. It was only days later it was identified why they had increased by so much which necessitated further intervention. So as I said unless you’re suggesting scientists and everyone else is lying about when news of the transmissibility of the new strain was communicated then the decision making process is sound. As for Walker, the PM has just stated publicly on national TV they were only advised at 15.15 on Friday - so Walkers ‘belief’, as he stated, would appear wrong and he should be considering an apology.

You’ve a whole forest to find sticks in in which to beat the PM with over Covid. This particular issue however isn’t one of them.

We'll never ever know how any other party leaders would have handled it....but it's dead easy to criticise the Leader / party that's in power which has to make those hard, quick & unpleasant decisions....sometimes they get them right, sometimes not but we are in an ever changing situation / environment.

Indeed. It’s equatable to ourselves on here saying the manager should do, or should have done this and that. Not difficult to do from the sidelines without having the full information.

Indeed. It’s equatable to ourselves on here saying the manager should do, or should have done this and that. Not difficult to do from the sidelines without having the full information.

Players, Managers, Chief Exec, ...........never stopped you before, has it?

;)

We do however have an indication of Labours policy on dealing with this from the Welsh government.

A circuit break that didn't work albeit implemented about the time that SKS was calling for the same in England.

Full lockdown and Christmas all but cancelled at the last minute despite the promise of a relaxation for the period .

No alcoholic drinks for sale in bars and restaurants. ( Happy No ale indeed)

As I keep reiterating I am loathe to get involved in a political debate but it would seem that some peoples vision is being distorted by party politics. Look around, every government is making mistakes and getting stick from their political opponents as they try to make the best of an unprecedented pandemic.

I lost my faith in any politician after the expenses scandal and what I see now in the midst of all this is that they are unable to come together to find a way forward in unity.

In regards Covid it seems likely we could be heading toward another national lockdown as there’s no way this new strain will be confined to the South. Given the increasing number of teams that are calling off fixtures (rightly id say) due to covid outbreaks is another suspension of the league on the cards? Certainly outside the top flight the cost to ensure appropriate tests and making everything virus secure is too prohibitive in the football league.

In regards Covid it seems likely we could be heading toward another national lockdown as there’s no way this new strain will be confined to the South. Given the increasing number of teams that are calling off fixtures (rightly id say) due to covid outbreaks is another suspension of the league on the cards? Certainly outside the top flight the cost to ensure appropriate tests and making everything virus secure is too prohibitive in the football league.

I hope not. Knowing the EFL they will end the season and make the league standings final with us getting relegated. Just out of spite.

We do however have an indication of Labours policy on dealing with this from the Welsh government.

A circuit break that didn't work albeit implemented about the time that SKS was calling for the same in England.

Full lockdown and Christmas all but cancelled at the last minute despite the promise of a relaxation for the period .

No alcoholic drinks for sale in bars and restaurants. ( Happy No ale indeed)

As I keep reiterating I am loathe to get involved in a political debate but it would seem that some peoples vision is being distorted by party politics. Look around, every government is making mistakes and getting stick from their political opponents as they try to make the best of an unprecedented pandemic.

I lost my faith in any politician after the expenses scandal and what I see now in the midst of all this is that they are unable to come together to find a way forward in unity.

I don’t think there’s anything in that I can disagree with. It’s an evolving situation and something unprecedented for most nations in the modern era. Mistakes are inevitable, people are naive if they think different. I don’t think Labour would have done any better and I suspect we’d have been in full lockdown for longer. It wouldn’t have made much difference. A national unity approach is a sensible suggestion, but other than avoiding political backbiting again I don’t the outcome would be any different.

I'm not sure we can make such an assumption, simply by equating Starmer's national proposal (all of UK) to the (effectively) regional approach of Wales.

I think this is purely down to the PM's blatant (and failed) attempt at populism

I don't think I've brought politics into it to be honest TB .......... we've just been discussing the competence of the PM and his cabinet. Again, I've been happy to offer praise where deserved. Let's remember, the PM chose to get rid of a significant number of some of his more experienced ministers, all because they didn't share his view re the B word. Hence, we were left with the best of the rest!