Twenty-three Years Ago Today | Page 2 | Vital Football

Twenty-three Years Ago Today

David Johnson what an enigma, he should have gone on to better things. If memory serves he scored a second round FA cup winner against Huddersfield a few days after Huddersfield had dumped the Imps out the Autoglass (or whatever it was called back then) on a 'golden goal'. That was the most unsatisfactory end to match I have ever attended.
Especially after we had been 2-0 up!!

Hulme was awful and to swap him for West was unforgivable IMHO.
Didn't he get rid of puttnam too?

Yes, I didn't mention that but David Puttnam joined Gillingham at about the same time as Steve Brown came the other way. I don't think it was classed as an exchange deal though in the same way as the West/Hulme transfer was.

Another disappointing season first day of the season we had won 2-1 at Preston who were one of the favourites pre season then the following week we got stuffed 3-0 at home by Gillingham and then it was downhill all the way until Beck arrived.

With regards to the Autoglass game at Huddersfield I seem to remember we were two up, they got back to two all then I seem to remember we had a great chance to win it by the golden goal missed it and they got the winner.

From memory, steve wicks talked quite a good game. His subsequent career shows perhaps that is all he did.

I remember Steve Williams looked genuinely promising.. dont think he ever made it though.
Yeah me too, he looked an absolute natural in front of goal, remember him scoring a lovely near post finish v Darlington in AWS game in 1993.
Just didn't kick on like Huckerby did, think he went to Peterborough but not sure after that
Shame when you see someone with natural potential.
Funny I was talking about them to my daughter about them yesterday as we were heading from shopping before going to the game.
One story I heard was that Darren had the more settled personal life and Steve was less so and that was the problem he wasn't as focused as Darren because he liked the party life too much.

I remember about three or four years after this game seeing Steve Williams playing for King's Lynn in the Southern League.

With regards to the Autoglass game at Huddersfield I seem to remember we were two up, they got back to two all then I seem to remember we had a great chance to win it by the golden goal missed it and they got the winner.

It was a strange evening all round, the McAlpine (as it was then) was not finished as the Riverside End had not been built and was ala the Kassam. Town were clearly not exepecting any away fans as a steward told us to sit in the Kilner Bank stand and sit as far end, still didn't stop the back of our seats being kicked.

It was a strange evening all round, the McAlpine (as it was then) was not finished as the Riverside End had not been built and was ala the Kassam. Town were clearly not exepecting any away fans as a steward told us to sit in the Kilner Bank stand and sit as far end, still didn't stop the back of our seats being kicked.

I reciprocated the act when Iain Dunn scored the winner.

I was there for that one, quite a few Imps went from memory?
Warnock was manager and Jacko was their skipper at the time I think?