Tweaks to the Pitch? | Vital Football

Tweaks to the Pitch?

cherryexile

Vital 1st Team Regular
Danny mentioned in an interview that we had made some changes to the pitch to help us. My initial thought was that the pitch dimensions would be altered - wider, narrower, longer, shorter - but there was a mention on the commentary about the ball holding up, so I wondered whether the change had been to the length of the grass or the amount of watering to the pitch there had been.

Did anybody who attended the game notice any changes to the pitch that could match up to Danny's comments?

Certainly no wider at the Co-op side. Watering might have slowed it down, but the real grass expert is Andrew (Farmer Imp), as to any scientific issue ie type of grass ?

I didnt notice anything really myself there was watering but no more than usual at this time of year.I wondered last night about that comment maybe mind games perhaps?

I tried to look, after DC’s comments, and wondered if the pitch might have been widened by a few inches but I couldn’t really tell. It did look in great condition though....maybe slightly longer length to the grass?

I thought it looked about a foot wider each side, but couldn't be absolutely sure. If so, it will definitely give us a bit more space on either wing - which we really missed last year.

I looked as well but it didn't look difference from afar, whereas last season you could tell it had been narrowed.

I thought it was watered more than most other times. I was in the ground at 1.30pm and the sprinklers were on. They were on until the teams came out at around 2.15pm then on again before the game and HT I think.

I thought the pitch had been widened on the Echo Stand side towards the dugouts.
I also would have thought watering would make it quicker.
Could have been the grass was slightly longer or as was mentioned it could be DC playing mind games again.

Watering the centre of the pitch but not the forward wide areas. Slicker in the centre and the ball not going out in the corners as easily?

Think the grass was left longer to slow the ball down, to prevent a proper footballing side beat us with their dazzling footwork. Seemed to work.?

The presentation of the pitch didn’t look great yesterday. I don’t know what the quality is like under foot, but it didn’t look professional at all. In previous years the pitch has looked pristine at the beginning of the season.

I'm no expert but it could be down to the very dry weather we've been having. Someone on the radio the other day said that grass should be kept longer in a drought. Could be true for sports pitches too.

The stadium pitch is being mowed every day, (twice a day 2 days before a match) at 28mm cutting height, this is also same height as pitch 1 at the training ground. This is about the same as usual. Watering timing is carried out at Danny and Nicky’s requests.

Playing area is 100m x 65m which is identical to last season. Walking on the pitch shows how good the grass growth is and how thick it is after such a short time after seeding. Twitter comments on pitch on Saturday not appropriate in my opinion knowing how much effort and time Jim and his team have put in, 7 days a week.

The stadium pitch is being mowed every day, (twice a day 2 days before a match) at 28mm cutting height, this is also same height as pitch 1 at the training ground. This is about the same as usual. Watering timing is carried out at Danny and Nicky’s requests.

Playing area is 100m x 65m which is identical to last season. Walking on the pitch shows how good the grass growth is and how thick it is after such a short time after seeding. Twitter comments on pitch on Saturday not appropriate in my opinion knowing how much effort and time Jim and his team have put in, 7 days a week.

Thank you for the very comprehensive update. The phrase "about the same as usual" is interesting, but who am I to get uptight about millimetres in grass length altering a team's performance - that is the sort of arena for conspiracy theorists.

It was a winning combination whether it is different from last year or not.