Tv Pundits | Page 3 | Vital Football

Tv Pundits

Really like Gary Clearly we all know why they are getting jobs. Nothing wrong with it of course just needs to be a clear reason rather than a box ticking exercise which it seems to be.

You really see nothing wrong with it when she has only been given the job because she is a woman? It's counter productive and only complicates the gender debate further, I would rather see people get a job on merit not because they have a fanny or a cock and balls.

Think Lineker is OK. Think Gullit is OK; was amazed when Shearer had a go at him because Gullit dropped him at Newcastle. Think Gabby Yorath is OK.

lol, well if we're talking about most shaggable pundits then she wins hands down, not that there is much competition.

To be fair I'm not having a go at her, just the likes of BBC and Sky who like to shove political correctness in your face.
Female pundits, pathetic attempt at equality of outcome. I don't want to listen to a woman commenting on the man's game.

Why is it that in this country we have a female pundit and immediately, amongst SOME men, not all of course - talk is of "political correctness" and then some other bloke will bring into it her level of attractiveness (in a direct or indirect way). In the US they have female pundits or presenters for all sorts of sports only seems to be countries like ours where some guys (not all!) can't help themselves but comment in this way.

I am a lurker rather than a regular poster, a long time one at that. Because I'm passionate about the Villa, growing up (very luckily) with a Dad that took me to many games, home and away, and I'm interested in hearing the views of the more 21st century fans on here.

I'm also a female. Yes a FEMALE who is commenting on a game that is played by men but also women all over the world. What a crime jesus get a grip man.

If you don't think it's a sad PC move on the part of virtue signalling media outlets, then you must be unaware of the current cultural and political climate we are living in. It couldn't be more blatant.

I don’t find anything ‘sad’ about it. You seem to be coming from the angle that political correctness is somehow a negative thing.

I am very aware of the current cultural and political climate - which is why it is great to see archaic attitudes and institutions being challenged in all walks of life. The idea that a women couldn’t possibly be capable of commentating or analysing football, that it shouldn’t be allowed, I’d ridiculous.

Why is it that in this country we have a female pundit and immediately, amongst SOME men, not all of course - talk is of "political correctness" and then some other bloke will bring into it her level of attractiveness (in a direct or indirect way). In the US they have female pundits or presenters for all sorts of sports only seems to be countries like ours where some guys (not all!) can't help themselves but comment in this way.

I am a lurker rather than a regular poster, a long time one at that. Because I'm passionate about the Villa, growing up (very luckily) with a Dad that took me to many games, home and away, and I'm interested in hearing the views of the more 21st century fans on here.

I'm also a female. Yes a FEMALE who is commenting on a game that is played by men but also women all over the world. What a crime jesus get a grip man.

Keep it up. About time the dinosaurs were wiped out.

You seem to be missing the point completely.

This isn't about old fashioned views. Many women watch football all over the world, great. I asked a question previously that hasn't been answered, why isn't more women's football shown on TV? Women play football too don't they? Why are they not represented more on TV to reach a wider female audience?

If that was the case then Alex Scott would be perfectly qualified to talk as a pundit on that, because that is the level she has played at. It really is not that difficult.

I don’t find anything ‘sad’ about it. You seem to be coming from the angle that political correctness is somehow a negative thing.

I am very aware of the current cultural and political climate - which is why it is great to see archaic attitudes and institutions being challenged in all walks of life. The idea that a women couldn’t possibly be capable of commentating or analysing football, that it shouldn’t be allowed, I’d ridiculous.

If you think political correctness is a good thing, then God help you mate.

Yes, we have progressed which is great, but how far does it have to go where we don't even know what reality is anymore? It's a far bigger conversation to have another time.

Again, as I asked previously, what's wrong with having more womens football on TV? If that was on, I certainly wouldn't want to see a man commentating on it.

But no, stick Alex Scott right into men's football instead, basically giving out the message that women's football is not something to be bothered with, but hey here's a female anyway, we are so WOKE!

Another prime example of the virtue signalling industrial complex shooting itself in the foot again.

You seem to be missing the point completely.

This isn't about old fashioned views. Many women watch football all over the world, great. I asked a question previously that hasn't been answered, why isn't more women's football shown on TV? Women play football too don't they? Why are they not represented more on TV to reach a wider female audience?

If that was the case then Alex Scott would be perfectly qualified to talk as a pundit on that, because that is the level she has played at. It really is not that difficult.

If you think political correctness is a good thing, then God help you mate.

Yes, we have progressed which is great, but how far does it have to go where we don't even know what reality is anymore? It's a far bigger conversation to have another time.

Again, as I asked previously, what's wrong with having more women's football on TV? If that was on, I certainly wouldn't want to see a man commentating on it.

But no, stick Alex Scott right into men's football instead, basically giving out the message that women's football is not something to be bothered with, but hey here's a female anyway, we are so WOKE!

Another prime example of the virtue signalling industrial complex shooting itself in the foot again.

You are entirely entitled to your opinion that only men can comment on a team game which is being played by all men or vise versa.

So if you're watching tennis mixed doubles, do you also have a team of female and male pundits who are only allowed to comment on the corresponding sex's performance:lol: ?

When women's football is on the telly box, there are male pundits. I have zero problem with this. In-fact it's a good thing.

You are the one who is missing my point, as my post was a direct response to the fact that I am a female who has just read that a Vital Member doesn't want to listen to a female's opinion of a man's game.

I wanted to make the point that this is a rather archaic view, which I have done.

Everyone is entitled to freedom of speech and their own opinions. I'm merely trying to encourage a little open mindedness.

You are entirely entitled to your opinion that only men can comment on a team game which is being played by all men or vise versa.

So if you're watching tennis mixed doubles, do you also have a team of female and male pundits who are only allowed to comment on the corresponding sex's performance:lol: ?

When women's football is on the telly box, there are male pundits. I have zero problem with this. In-fact it's a good thing.

You are the one who is missing my point, as my post was a direct response to the fact that I am a female who has just read that a Vital Member doesn't want to listen to a female's opinion of a man's game.

I wanted to make the point that this is a rather archaic view, which I have done.

Everyone is entitled to freedom of speech and their own opinions. I'm merely trying to encourage a little open mindedness.

It's hard not to come across as a sexist pig in these arguments isn't it? lol

I just want to reiterate, I don't really care that she's a pundit on men's football, I barely listen to any of them anyway. It's the blatant politically correct angle at which she has been shoe-horned in. It's so obvious. If it were not for the PC madness we're living in at the moment I wouldn't have blinked a eye if she popped up on a game. My gripe is with political correctness, not females having an opinion on the mans game. I absolutely would have no problem with your opinion on anything Villa or football simply because you're a female, I'm almost offended you would think that. You should post more often here, I would love to hear your views.

You mention freedom of speech and being open-minded. This current PC hysteria is eroding freedom of speech through banning and censoring everything because someone might get offended. A university in Manchester has banned clapping today. Clapping. Because maybe some of the pampered snowflakes don't like it. There's being open-minded, and then there's being so open-minded your fucking brain falls out.

It's hard not to come across as a sexist pig in these arguments isn't it? lol

I just want to reiterate, I don't really care that she's a pundit on men's football, I barely listen to any of them anyway. It's the blatant politically correct angle at which she has been shoe-horned in. It's so obvious. If it were not for the PC madness we're living in at the moment I wouldn't have blinked a eye if she popped up on a game. My gripe is with political correctness, not females having an opinion on the mans game. I absolutely would have no problem with your opinion on anything Villa or football simply because you're a female, I'm almost offended you would think that. You should post more often here, I would love to hear your views.

You mention freedom of speech and being open-minded. This current PC hysteria is eroding freedom of speech through banning and censoring everything because someone might get offended. A university in Manchester has banned clapping today. Clapping. Because maybe some of the pampered snowflakes don't like it. There's being open-minded, and then there's being so open-minded your fucking brain falls out.

I never said that I thought you are a sexist pig SJH. I wouldn't think that about someone I've never met and I couldn't claim to know.

I actually agree with you that political correctness has, at times, gone mad. No one should get a job based on what gender they are. I have no idea whether the move to make Alex Scot a pundit was motivated by political correctness or not, you'd have to ask her employers. What frustrates me is that, for some, the very first thought seems to be "oh it's political correctness gone mad". No one thinks about the fact that she played for the England national team many times, represented them at a world cup and also Great Britain at the Olympics. They didn't just pick a random woman off the street!

Of course that doesn't necessarily make her a good pundit!!

However it's very hard not to become frustrated when you read comments such as "Female pundits, pathetic attempt at equality of outcome. I don't want to listen to a woman commenting on the man's game" (looking at you, pvb1968 :wagging: ) comes across as being rather aggressive, unconsidered and dare I say it, sexist (Im not saying that he is sexist - I don't know this person, but I'm saying it can easily look that way).

Anyway I've made my point I think.

Back to the original topic, my favourites are Rio Ferdinand, Lineker and I'm not sure why but I really like Klinsmann !

I never said that I thought you are a sexist pig SJH. I wouldn't think that about someone I've never met and I couldn't claim to know.

I actually agree with you that political correctness has, at times, gone mad. No one should get a job based on what gender they are. I have no idea whether the move to make Alex Scot a pundit was motivated by political correctness or not, you'd have to ask her employers. What frustrates me is that, for some, the very first thought seems to be "oh it's political correctness gone mad". No one thinks about the fact that she played for the England national team many times, represented them at a world cup and also Great Britain at the Olympics. They didn't just pick a random woman off the street!

Of course that doesn't necessarily make her a good pundit!!

However it's very hard not to become frustrated when you read comments such as "Female pundits, pathetic attempt at equality of outcome. I don't want to listen to a woman commenting on the man's game" (looking at you, pvb1968 :wagging: ) comes across as being rather aggressive, unconsidered and dare I say it, sexist (Im not saying that he is sexist - I don't know this person, but I'm saying it can easily look that way).

Anyway I've made my point I think.

Back to the original topic, my favourites are Rio Ferdinand, Lineker and I'm not sure why but I really like Klinsmann !

Yep, point well made and I do agree with a lot of what you say. You're right, there may be nothing behind her appointment, it's hard to know, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised. Again, nothing against her, I just don't agree with how political correctness works and feel it is counter-productive.

Personally, I think Alex Scott is an excellent pundit. She knows what she is talking about. I would rather listen to her opinions and insight than the likes of Ian Wright, Robbie Cabbage (sorry, couldn't resist in light of tonight) or Chris Sutton.

PC never occurred to me on this one - she's an international player of some experience and repute.

I hate political correctness in all its forms. People are either up to the job, or they are not. They can handle banter (non-sexist, racist, homophobic of course), or they can't. We are all the same, irrespective of which walk of life we've come from or wander down.

I just wish more people could see things that way.