Turntables | Vital Football

Turntables

If you're going retro on this (and I can't do modern anyway!), we had a Garrard one when I was little. Coupled with a Rotel amp & Wharfedale speakers.
Given my Dad liked his quality, I can only suggest those (if they're still available of course).
I'll let other more knowledgeable people help you better !

Stick with the old faithful and go for a Planar 3.

Apropos of absolutely nothing, a mate of mine had one dating back from the mid-80s until someone stacked a pint of vodka and cranberry juice all over it at an after party. Bad times.

I second @plumbob 's suggestion, Richer Sounds is excellent. You can even get their extended warranty and if you don't have to use it for repair/replacement, you can get it refunded. Win win!

Stick with the old faithful and go for a Planar 3.

Apropos of absolutely nothing, a mate of mine had one dating back from the mid-80s until someone stacked a pint of vodka and cranberry juice all over it at an after party. Bad times.

I've got a Planar 1 (cheapskate) but would also recommend. I weirdly had a less positive experience with Richer Sounds where they tried to upsell me over and over, and they don't sell Rega...

I picked mine up from John Lewis in the end and also had the warranty etc so sorted

I have a late 70s Trio KD-1033. It has the SME type removable headshell so I have several headshells with cartridges attached that I can swap in and out as required.

I tend to use a Shure M75ED2 stylus for pre 80s and standard rock music.
Ortofon FX15XE for 80s or electronic.
Or I have a Sumiko Pearl which I leave on most of the time as it is an all rounder so I can just put a record on if I can't be bothered to switch headshells, set tracking weights etc.

You can have both. CDs are a bargain price these days. Vinyl is expensive. How the tables have turned <----:lol:

Indeed I have never owned vinyl (my parents have some still from 70s & 80s. I see that most see CDs as dead but you are right music magpie world of books etc they are often £1/2.

The car I travel to work in doesn’t have DAB so I often listen to cds (I also have burnt them all to iTunes and turned an old iPhone into an iPod). I also bought a Yamaha unit that is cd radio and internet music app device. Really really good

I am not sure why but never really felt compelled to get a turn table. I guess I am probably too young to have got it first time round and too old to join in it’s renaissance.

I have looked at vinyl in shops and I do like the artwork - even though cds are same but just smaller they don’t seem the same.

Last edited:
Like many others, had a Pioneer PL112D deck with a Shure stylus. Still stands the test of time in terms of simplicity and appearance. Decent quality on a budget.

If an purchasing an older deck now would go for the same or a later PL15. At the time better models included the sort after Thorens TD 160, and the much coveted Linn LP 12 but they were/are in a different league.