Tuesday's trip to tower block land. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Tuesday's trip to tower block land.

Also, by way of a drink-up. I was going to say that Fourpure, a craft brewery in the industrial estate right next to South Bermondsey Station (first and best stop on the Bermondsey Beer Mile if starting at Bermondsey end), is excellent and not that expensive, but its tap room is only open on Friday and Saturday, but having checked the website, it looks like it's open tonight until 8pm:

https://www.fourpure.com/tap-room-and-tours/tap-room

SteveTreacle, on your recommendation, I have just had a look around the Fourpure bar. Looks ok to me, and being so close to the ground, will give it a go tonight. Anyone else thinking of trying it, don't be put off by the depth you have to enter into the Trading Estate.

Yes, it's not that far from the Station - 5mins walk, but as you say appears a bit off the beaten track as it's in the middle of an industrial estate and not an obvious location (worth googling or using the phone to get there as the location is not obvious, but not that far, as I say - once you see a Screwfix, it's towards the back of that industrial estate). It's very much a craft beer/lager place, which generally as a traditional ale drinker, I find a bit poncey and faddy; however, there is a good selection (about 20 ales/lagers brewed on site) and I enjoyed it when I went there a few weeks ago. They come in halves, 2/3rd or pints - think it's about £3 for a 2/3 (which is a great size) or £4 a pint, so not too expensive for a trendy craft beer type place. The best place on the Bermondsey beer mile by a long way - has an ample outside area if the weather's good.

I contacted them to make sure they are open (their website says that are open, but thought maybe they don't open on matchdays), and they confirmed they are open, but only until 8pm, so no good for post match drinks. I'll pop in if I get off of work in time.

Cheers for the Steve, I had looked at the train times and reckoned I could get to South Bermondsey via St Pancras and GTR to London Bridge in a comparable time to the direct service. I remembered Fourpure from doing the Bermondsey Beer Mile last year, a great shout and others took heed of your suggestion on here too! Regretting not going for the 9% maple stout.

Have you tried Taproom TN23 yet? Being Kent it doesn’t have a phenomenal choice like the few other taprooms, but still a good start! We really need to get one in Medway.

Cheers Trev. I popped in and had three quick 2/3s as was driving (5 hours later, I would add). As it was warmish and I'd just trecked quickly from Canary Wharf on the tube (and was roasting) light ones were order of the day - the pils was excellent.

I didn't even know the TN23 one existed, but got to Ashford fairly regularly, so will check it out. I have been the Flowerpot in Hythe and Firkin in Folkestone - both very good little micros which are effectively in the front room of an old house! The Hopfuzz brewery in Lympne has just opened a very good taproom and the Doghouse in Smeeth/Aldington (near where I live) is another good one, but spoilt a bit by the current owners insistence on making everything music themed. I have been in to the ones in Rochester and Strood, which I enjoyed, but the best one by far is the one in West Malling, where by brother lives, (anyone know its name?), which is very big, by micro standards, has a huge array of ales/beers and has excellent table service from some hotties!

To me I’d say taprooms are different to micropubs, while Kipps at the top of the Old High Street in Folkestone is a great mixture of the two. Taproom TN23 is Hopfuzz too, they do some decent beers.

If you like a choice of craft beers then I’d recommend Kipps, Thomas Tallis Alehouse in Canterbury and the Corner Tap in Folkestone. Oh, and the Star & Garter in Bromley and Tap East in Stratford if you’re on those Southeastern lines anytime soon!

The West Malling micro is called 'The Malling Jug' quite nice range of ale, but a bit 'newly decorated' for my taste - bit like the larger 'Corner Tap' in Faversham.

I went the Surrey Quays route. Had a few in the Surrey Docks Wetherspoons then walked the 15 minutes or so to the ground.

The West Malling micro is called 'The Malling Jug' quite nice range of ale, but a bit 'newly decorated' for my taste - bit like the larger 'Corner Tap' in Faversham.

That’s the one. That would be my one criticism, it is a tad too trendy, but the beers are good and when I was there the bar maids quite fit.