Trust meeting with Levy, Cullen & co transcript | Vital Football

Trust meeting with Levy, Cullen & co transcript

freundorfoe

Vital 1st Team Regular
http://www.thstofficial.com/thst-news/report-from-meeting-with-spurs-board-on-9-october

They discuss the stadium, lack of transfers, ticket pricing, the refund mechanism, the new website & etc.

No major news in any of it. Backs up Ex's version of events that Poch didn't want to sign for the sake of it but the club thought targets were available who weren't. They say they'll provide a stadium update in 2-3 weeks. Also Levy insists stadium would have been ready for Liverpool game if it weren't for the safety issues but says that they've moved a lot of external work forward from next summer in the meantime.

It's good to see that all that I had alluded to has/was confirmed.

I hope now that this is the last time we have to have the 'stadium over-runs' affected our budget and that Levy didn't want to spend ' debate...

No new players was ALL down to Poch and the situation in respects of our first choice targets.

All that remains is an ongoing debate about how 'brave' or 'foolish' that was in the stance Poch took.

However, it's worth noting that it was the first summer window of the new scouting/recruiting set-up and they were and did take a different view from previous recruitments heads/committee's.

The meeting closed at 8.45pm

DL and SB left the meeting at 20:00 and were not present for items 5.6, 5.7, 5.8, 5.9, 5.10, 5.11, 5.12, 5.13, 5.14, 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4, 9.5 and 9.6.

The next meeting to be scheduled for February 2019.

For me, this just about says it all. Levy finds a 2 hour slot in a 4 or 5 month window with the Supporter's Trust and then leaves 45 mins before the meeting ends. You always get the impression that the THST is just an unwanted irritant to him.

DL and SB left the meeting at 20:00 and were not present for items 5.6, 5.7, 5.8, 5.9, 5.10, 5.11, 5.12, 5.13, 5.14, 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4, 9.5 and 9.6.

For me, this just about says it all. Levy finds a 2 hour slot in a 4 or 5 month window with the Supporter's Trust and then leaves 45 mins before the meeting ends. You always get the impression that the THST is just an unwanted irritant to him.

The art of leadership is delegation.

So he knows better than most that 'house keeping' can be delegated - same as I would do.

His time is better spent elsewhere at the moment, plus he almost doesn't have a home life at the moment.

It's good to see that all that I had alluded to has/was confirmed.

I hope now that this is the last time we have to have the 'stadium over-runs' affected our budget and that Levy didn't want to spend ' debate...

No new players was ALL down to Poch and the situation in respects of our first choice targets.

All that remains is an ongoing debate about how 'brave' or 'foolish' that was in the stance Poch took.

However, it's worth noting that it was the first summer window of the new scouting/recruiting set-up and they were and did take a different view from previous recruitments heads/committee's.

Whilst that is correct, apparently it's all down to luck.

8.5 DL felt that a bit of luck was needed in the transfer window
  • Spending big did not guarantee success
  • DL said the Club could not do more than it was doing, that they had come a long way and that they needed to be mindful not to stretch themselves too far sometimes

I doubt that's what he thinks. But that is definitely what I think.

The art of leadership is delegation.

So he knows better than most that 'house keeping' can be delegated - same as I would do.

His time is better spent elsewhere at the moment, plus he almost doesn't have a home life at the moment.

True enough, but if it was the FA, the sponsors or NFL delegation meeting with THFC at 6pm would he have left at 8pm? In fact, would have ensure that those meetings were during the normal working hours? I don't doubt he works hard to his own personal detriment, but my point was doing that to the THST doesn't help people's perception of him as a leader.

True enough, but if it was the FA, the sponsors or NFL delegation meeting with THFC at 6pm would he have left at 8pm? In fact, would have ensure that those meetings were during the normal working hours? I don't doubt he works hard to his own personal detriment, but my point was doing that to the THST doesn't help people's perception of him as a leader.

To the contrary. I wouldn't want Levy micromanaging anyone. That is essentially the message sent if you don't leave your people to their areas of focus...that and that you don't have confidence in them.

To the contrary. I wouldn't want Levy micromanaging anyone. That is essentially the message sent if you don't leave your people to their areas of focus...that and that you don't have confidence in them.

For me, it's not about micro-management and not even the content of that missed 45 mins. I think I'm right in saying that there is always a healthy tension between THFC and THST, as there probably needs to be. Being present, approachable and spending the quality time and small talk around the meetings with the THST is as much part of the leadership role, especially for evening engagements. Just how I would approach it.

For me, it's not about micro-management and not even the content of that missed 45 mins. I think I'm right in saying that there is always a healthy tension between THFC and THST, as there probably needs to be. Being present, approachable and spending the quality time and small talk around the meetings with the THST is as much part of the leadership role, especially for evening engagements. Just how I would approach it.

I do not know this to be so, but I can easily assume from what I know of the TST that all the committee insist on being at these events and that dictates the time (i.e. post the normal working day - well for most of us!).

Levy has people employed to do all this; he is not going to say or do anything that his people (especially when he has his most senior exec there no matter what) .

Clearly, he is not a man for small talk, in fact those that know him and work with him closely (and I only know this from those that do) say that he shuns personal promotion and is in fact a very private person.

It's not his job to be liked, his job is to lead and get the job done.

I can only say that personally, if I was in his role, I'd take exactly the same approach, small talk isn't going to change the perception of the outcome of the facts.

Of course, if it were an important business meeting, it almost certainly would take place during the day and he almost certainly would use some of that time to try and create a rapport with those he might be doing business with for many years.

I really do think you're being overly critical here, we can beat Levy up for many things, but not wanting to spend more time than he has to with people that (harshly as I assess it) can do nothing to little to resolve the current issues he faces is imho absolutely the right thing to do - frankly, if it were me, I'd send only my senior management and tell them to do what I pay them for !!!

I doubt that's what he thinks. But that is definitely what I think.

you find them an unwanted irritant?

I think they do a pretty good job on the whole of representing the concerns of a frankly completely divided fanbase. Also some of the club's responses show how out of touch they are with the fanbase at times and why THST is entirely necessary for them to have a bit of perspective... For example:

1.10 DMC to share rationale and context for Season Ticket pricing with THST
  • KL referenced that only 19% of the Season Ticket holders who’d participated in THST’s annual survey over the summer were satisfied with pricing. 49% had moved stands because of the pricing – threatening to disrupt the atmosphere of the new stadium. Only 7% considered facilities to be an important factor when purchasing a Season Ticket. The Trust was not alone in considering the pricing to be too high
  • KL asked how the Club had arrived at those price points and how sustainable they thought they were
  • DMC responded that the Club had applied the principle of stretch pricing and that there were many different price points to choose from
  • KL said the Club’s definition of stretch pricing differed from the Trust’s
  • DL referenced the introduction of the Young Adult category for 18-21 year olds, for which KL gave thanks on behalf of the Trust
  • DL referenced the additional concessionary areas available in the new stadium
  • DL felt that fans would be very pleased once they see the stadium and experience a match day there
  • DMC felt it was unhelpful to link the Season Ticket pricing to the stadium delay
  • KL felt the premium pricing had set higher expectations and so heightened impatience with the delay
particularly the 2nd last point. They raised the prices of STs between 33-75% for majority of fans, making us the most expensive season ticket in the world, most begrudgingly paid the extra because who wouldn't want to see the first season in the new stadium... It felt somewhat justified because it was going to be "the best stadium in the world", "the only place to watch Champions League" and other such marketing slogans. Then not only do you find it has been delayed and therefore you have to individually apply for refunds for each game and rebuy tickets to a different stadium, but you find out that this stadium you're paying over the odds for wasn't actually going to be fully completed anyway and you'd be paying your £1700 a ticket to go watch football in a building site.

DMC's response here is perfectly in line with her correspondence with someone who was flying in from Australia to see the first game at the new stadium only to find out it was moved to Wembley. Her response to him was "the game is still being played at a different venue so you can still see it".

You can't hype a fanbase into overpaying massively for something, then act like they shouldn't be upset when it isn't delivered.

I do not know this to be so, but I can easily assume from what I know of the TST that all the committee insist on being at these events and that dictates the time (i.e. post the normal working day - well for most of us!).

Levy has people employed to do all this; he is not going to say or do anything that his people (especially when he has his most senior exec there no matter what) .

Clearly, he is not a man for small talk, in fact those that know him and work with him closely (and I only know this from those that do) say that he shuns personal promotion and is in fact a very private person.

It's not his job to be liked, his job is to lead and get the job done.

I can only say that personally, if I was in his role, I'd take exactly the same approach, small talk isn't going to change the perception of the outcome of the facts.

Of course, if it were an important business meeting, it almost certainly would take place during the day and he almost certainly would use some of that time to try and create a rapport with those he might be doing business with for many years.

I really do think you're being overly critical here, we can beat Levy up for many things, but not wanting to spend more time than he has to with people that (harshly as I assess it) can do nothing to little to resolve the current issues he faces is imho absolutely the right thing to do - frankly, if it were me, I'd send only my senior management and tell them to do what I pay them for !!!

Ex - perhaps I'm being harsh or perhaps I'm different. I still think as the main voice of the customer, I would be paying attention to my supporters trust and want to be close to them. As a leader, if I chose to be at that meeting then I'm all in.

Levy's answers were mostly good. Some were factual, some were correctly firm but a few came across as a little bit patronising. It's not easy being in his seat though.

I couldn't careless about him not having a home life. That's what happens when you are the highest paid chairman in the league.

Ex - perhaps I'm being harsh or perhaps I'm different. I still think as the main voice of the customer, I would be paying attention to my supporters trust and want to be close to them. As a leader, if I chose to be at that meeting then I'm all in.

Levy's answers were mostly good. Some were factual, some were correctly firm but a few came across as a little bit patronising. It's not easy being in his seat though.
I think without knowing his schedule I don't see how any criticism can be justified, he is battling to complete the stadium. How do we know he hasn't got other meetings to go to. Or he might have been in the office from early morning and may still have an hour plus driving to get home. He may have an early morning meeting to go to the next day and has to prepare for it, he could have many valid reasons for deciding that this meeting was not the best use of his time.

It's easy to be patronizing when you are dealing with people who assume a sense of authority where none exists.

Whilst that is correct, apparently it's all down to luck.

8.5 DL felt that a bit of luck was needed in the transfer window
  • Spending big did not guarantee success
  • DL said the Club could not do more than it was doing, that they had come a long way and that they needed to be mindful not to stretch themselves too far sometimes

These two quotes suggest spending was being avoided. Spending does not guarantee success...yes we know that...needed to be mindful not to stretch too far ? Well we certainly didn't stretch did we ? It contradicts the notion we had the money to spend to then give non player reasons why we shouldn't.

We were told there was money for players. Let's say 80 mil. That wasn't spent so I take it we will have 160 mil in Jan. There won't be any players worth signing or available then so 240 mil in the summer then ? I plucked the 80 mil out the air, it may have only been 50. You get my drift ?

We were told there was money for players. Let's say 80 mil. That wasn't spent so I take it we will have 160 mil in Jan. There won't be any players worth signing or available then so 240 mil in the summer then ? I plucked the 80 mil out the air, it may have only been 50. You get my drift ?

However, when you think you might get £30m for Dembele and over £50m for Toby and now you're getting zero for Dembele and £25m release clause for Toby, that might change your budgeting thought process for future windows.

I think people read into written answers whatever they want - it all depends on your own personal prejudice and where you start from.

I have no issue with Levy's attendance, his answers or his general attitude at all.

I expected that some do, and some always will, no matter what.

It is true he gets paid the big bucks to make the big calls and make the big sacrifices - which, as far as personal family time, I know he does. Of course, he's not crying about it, he just deals with it by managing his time.

Seriously, there is nothing different I would have done here - my top exec/right hand 'lady' was there and she is empowered to deal with all matters, so to repeat myself - I know some don't get how that works, or agree with it - but given the same set of circumstances, I'd have behaved exactly the same.

I do, but you're looking at it entirely wrongly.

We have an ANNUAL player budget, not one that doubles itself every window; it is not set in stone, because it can't be.

It is loosely based on revs/profits and depreciating assets in our balance sheet and of course our free cashflow; it includes agents fees and player sign on bonus's and annual wages.

(TIC) Transfer Impact Circumstances are ' unexpected/expected events' i.e. predicted/unpredictable sale's - so if your baseline budget is 50 mill, it can obviously rise substantially if two players in the 'waiting room' (and yes it's still referred to that by agents) get the moves they or their agents have tried to set up for them.

Luck is a great way to describe how some deals can or cannot happen, I was with Tony Sharkey last week discussing some deals he is involved in and believe me, no matter how hard he works or has worked, luck has and still is a major part of getting them over the line. Tony by the way is the man that first introduced Pep to Man City.

Of course it's not fashionable to appreciate that luck has much to do with getting deals over the line, but it's so often a factor, I can see why it's been mentioned.