US Politics Thread | Page 308 | Vital Football

US Politics Thread

I knew that each state has two senators, regardless of size or population, but seeing this (my bold) was just mental:

Each of America’s 50 states elects two senators, regardless of population, and only a third of the country’s Senate seats are voted on each election cycle.

What that means is that California, which has a population of just under 40 million, holds the same representation in the Senate as Wyoming, which at roughly 579,000 is the least populous state in the country.

Never mind that first-past-the-post is bullshit, I am struggling to find any words to describe how outrageous and un-democratic this set-up really is!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/08/democrats-republicans-senate-majority-minority-rule

And there's more:

In North Dakota, voter ID rules pushed by Republicans and upheld by the supreme court may have barred thousands of Native Americans from voting in Tuesday’s general election. The restrictions required that voters show their current residential address in order to vote. But many Native Americans who live on reservations do not have street names and instead use PO boxes.

And then you get Dakota being split into 2 states for the same effect.

The Demos are far from blameless here, but the Reps put Gerrymandering in this country to a schoolboy level of sport - and I believe Dakota goes back to the late 1800's lol

Voter restrictions is a different kettle of fish.

What happened to politicians being in it to do good as opposed to stroking their own dicks and feathering their anus?

I knew that each state has two senators, regardless of size or population, but seeing this (my bold) was just mental:

Never mind that first-past-the-post is bullshit, I am struggling to find any words to describe how outrageous and un-democratic this set-up really is!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/08/democrats-republicans-senate-majority-minority-rule

And there's more:

I saw exactly the same story yesterday, and had the same reaction to you. 12m more votes, and fewer seats. It really is a terrible system.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement, though.

“From my review of the various videos of the press conference, I believe that the video tweeted by the Press Secretary is misleading but I don’t see unambiguous evidence that it has been doctored,”

If it's misleading, it doesn't represent what truly happened, and hence it has been changed. Why did she choose to post the version from the conspiracy site, and not the original?

She should step down.

Well, the main point is it wasn't doctored like the media said it was. They concocted a conspiracy theory. It's laughable. Paul Joseph Watson has received death threats over it. All in the effort to defend that twat Jim Acosta.

I still fail to see any huge difference in both videos anyway, I would hardly call it misleading. It wasn't assault but he was slightly aggressive in defending himself. If you worked for the White House and you had two videos of the same incident where you wanted to make a point, and because one was compressed differently it very slightly accented your point, which one would you choose?

The two videos are not the same, so what exactly is the problem? That article goes on to say,

"There are duplicate frames at the moment of contact; 2 additional frames for no apparent reason but one could surmise that it could give the false impression of a split second more contact then there actually was,"

If it wasn't deliberate, it was a very lucky fluke. And that still does not excuse Sanders using it, not the original source, or other angles that clearly show the "chop" itself made no contact.

J K Rowling's response to Sanders.

‘And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed—if all records told the same tale—then the lie passed into history and became truth.’ — George Orwell, 1984

Kind of irrelevant quote seeing as the footage was most likely not doctored, and as you say was a "lucky fluke". Wasn't the reason Sanders used that video because it had the edited zoom-in on it? Wasn't that the whole point?

Yes, to deceive, hence Rowling's quote.

Sanders would have seen all the other angles. She would have known there was no contact. She found the one bit of footage that implies there is.

The woman is a horrible human being in general.

Given there was another mass shooting, I will agree with you SJH. There are more important issues.

All the right wing sites had Acosta as their top stories. The best I found was the California shooting as the 11th story.

The propaganda machine was in full flow.

Last edited: