US Politics Thread | Page 583 | Vital Football

US Politics Thread

Covid has been a disaster for the US. A lot of people lost their jobs and 400k people have died.

Before Covid, the economy was booming. Unemployment was at record lows. Trump delivered on the most important thing for most people, the economy. Covid destroyed that.

He cut corporation tax didn’t he?

Biden had over 81,2584,000 votes, that is a record for a presidential election. There is no way Trump would have won the election if it wasn't for COVID. And I'm a Biden supporter and am anti-fascist does that make me Antifa?

I'm not sure how to answer that question. Have you joined Antifa? Are there meetings or is it purely an online thing?

The whole Democrat vs Republican thing is bullshit. It's like being forced to choose between Coke and Pepsi. I prefer tea.

Yeah, they all do it. Obama extended the Bush Jnr tax cuts. They are terrified of raising taxes.

I bet Biden won't reverse the Trump tax cuts.

He doesn't have to. The taxes on lower earners are set to return to previous levels. It is a little known fact that Trump's tax cuts were never permanent.

Oh, apart from the massive corporate tax cuts, that benefit him and his kind, of course. They were made permanent.

I'm not sure how to answer that question. Have you joined Antifa? Are there meetings or is it purely an online thing?

The whole Democrat vs Republican thing is bullshit. It's like being forced to choose between Coke and Pepsi. I prefer tea.
As long as it's not green tea :D

I agree though. It's all too entrenched for my liking. Makes you wonder where the actual 'healing' is going to come from. Ardently doubling down on both entrenched sides isn't going to resolve it. Michael Moore of all people has consistently had interesting things to say over time on why Trump happened. When he's coming across as a relative voice of reason on the topic then you know things are pretty damn skewed.

Last edited:
Last I looked, it was about 30% Democrat and 31% Republican, with most of the remaining voters classing themselves s independent.

I don't think it's any better here. We have two choices, as well, in reality.

I had a Zoom session with my niece and her family on Sunday. They live in Georgia in a town called McDonough, near to Atlanta. They are not dim people. My niece is a physio working with disabled children and her husband is a theatre technician in an Atlanta hospital. They are convinced that the political system is corrupt and they trotted out examples of alleged local political graft. I didn’t have counter facts.
I tried to put a point of view that differed somewhat from their stance but they didn’t seem moved.
Trump is gone, thank goodness, but 75 million Americans voted for him.
That’s about double our total electorate. These people think the electoral system is not to be trusted and they believe that the establishment disregards them, much like a large number of our own people who reacted against our establishment over Brexit. Unless Biden can convince them that the government represents them as well, there is going to be trouble ahead. Biden’s victory and Trump’s departure isn’t going to result in an atmosphere of sweetness and light.
In a country where there are more guns than people this is dangerous.

I had a Zoom session with my niece and her family on Sunday. They live in Georgia in a town called McDonough, near to Atlanta. They are not dim people. My niece is a physio working with disabled children and her husband is a theatre technician in an Atlanta hospital. They are convinced that the political system is corrupt and they trotted out examples of alleged local political graft. I didn’t have counter facts.
I tried to put a point of view that differed somewhat from their stance but they didn’t seem moved.
Trump is gone, thank goodness, but 75 million Americans voted for him.
That’s about double our total electorate. These people think the electoral system is not to be trusted and they believe that the establishment disregards them, much like a large number of our own people who reacted against our establishment over Brexit. Unless Biden can convince them that the government represents them as well, there is going to be trouble ahead. Biden’s victory and Trump’s departure isn’t going to result in an atmosphere of sweetness and light.
In a country where there are more guns than people this is dangerous.

When you look at how the Democrats regard Trump voters, you can see that nothing will be done to "heal the devide".

My guess is that Biden/Harris will get one term before the swing voters switch to the next demagogue.

Of those 75 million, many deserted him on the 6th. His approval rating has plummeted since then.

In a recent poll, only 15% said he was a great President. It's these people who are left.

You know yourself though Heathfield whether is 50%, 10% or 1% that's still a lot of people. I'd probably err on the side of 10% because it seems like an awful lot of 'regular' folks who buy into this garbage. Whats worrying is how many house republicans didnt vote to impeach. There was about 6 in the senate who still objected to certifying the vote.

As Ironside said, whats worrying is it isnt just simpletons as we'd like to believe. There are doctors, nurses, policemen, perhaps not scientists but certainly professional educated people who have lost touch with reality.

The most amazing aspect of it all is people calling this some 1984 shit. Totally unable to see that the 1984 stuff pushed on the republican side is incredibly dangerous. Democrats arent the ones saying 2+2=5 it is the republicans.

Of course the two party system is bullshit. Life isn’t white or black. We need more than two political parties. I believe if there was a candidate that was socially liberal and fiscally conservative they would win hands down. What has happened with Tea Party/Trump is the right has gone so far right that even the moderate candidates (like Biden) are called extreme radicals, which is total nonsense.
Most America’s lack critical thinking and do not check their sources and get their “news” in the form of an opinion told to them by a talking head on their preferred “biased” tv station. Fox News is not a legitimate news source, it was started as a project started by right winged propagandist Rupert Murdoch and Roger Ailes, it’s the marketing team for the Republican Party and they created Trumpism. And the 75 million people who voted for Trump believe that Fox News is fair and unbiased. As an American it is terrifying.

It is pretty laughable hearing them talking about healing the divide when they've been calling the other half of the country fascists, bigots and Nazis for the last 4 years.

Don’t forget about racists.

Also not all Democrats have been calling them those names, it just seems like they have because a story of two neighbors who have political differences and can mutually respect each other’s views doesn’t exactly get the views or likes.

Media plays a big part in this divide. Again lack of critical thinking and getting information from numerous sources to creat your own opinion is so much more difficult than turning into a station you agree with and letting one of their talking heads tell you how to think and what your believe.

Don’t forget about racists.

Also not all Democrats have been calling them those names, it just seems like they have because a story of two neighbors who have political differences and can mutually respect each other’s views doesn’t exactly get the views or likes.

Media plays a big part in this divide. Again lack of critical thinking and getting information from numerous sources to creat your own opinion is so much more difficult than turning into a station you agree with and letting one of their talking heads tell you how to think and what your believe.

Can't believe I left out racists. Maybe Nazis covered it?

Totally agree about the media though, they're just awful.

You know yourself though Heathfield whether is 50%, 10% or 1% that's still a lot of people. I'd probably err on the side of 10% because it seems like an awful lot of 'regular' folks who buy into this garbage. Whats worrying is how many house republicans didnt vote to impeach. There was about 6 in the senate who still objected to certifying the vote.

As Ironside said, whats worrying is it isnt just simpletons as we'd like to believe. There are doctors, nurses, policemen, perhaps not scientists but certainly professional educated people who have lost touch with reality.

The most amazing aspect of it all is people calling this some 1984 shit. Totally unable to see that the 1984 stuff pushed on the republican side is incredibly dangerous. Democrats arent the ones saying 2+2=5 it is the republicans.

I agree, that still leaves a lot, but it's not the 75 million. Many just saw an opportunity, especially on the issue of abortions. They don't support Trump, as such.

The die hards won't budge. Their idea of negotiating is do what they want, or suffer the consequences. They have been offered the middle ground hundreds of times over the last 70 years, and have rejected it.

Racism cannot be accepted. Misogyny cannot be accepted. Homophobia cannot be accepted. Outside these, there is room for manoeuvre. In 2021, if these three areas aren't going the way they want, then life in America just isn't for them. They really do need to set up their own country in a few southern States.

Can't believe I left out racists. Maybe Nazis covered it?

Totally agree about the media though, they're just awful.
Fox we all know about but from a British POV I always felt CNN were credible (perhaps they were back in the Turner days) until I spent quite a lot of time out in America over the years. Watching CNN you really realise that they're just another side of the same coin. There's a lot to be said about confirmation bias and how people just gravitate to sources which play back the things they want to hear.