Troy Parrott - Player Thread | Page 7 | Vital Football

Troy Parrott - Player Thread

All true no doubt. But would the fans expectations be that high? And I'm thinking more about just coming on as a sub for the first few games.

What do we do if/when Moura breaks down?

The flip side of not introducing him soon is that the fans' anticipation and expectations will grow which will add to the pressure when he finally plays.

Maybe its the physical side of the game Jose thinks he's not ready for rather than the mental/emotional?

Perhaps, but we know Etete is 6'7" and playing in the U23's. The same wouldn't apply there.

The other thing I'd add is about composition of the 18 man squad. In most squads we can have Aurier, Tanganga, Toby, Sanchez, Davies and Dier. 4 playing and 2 spare to cover injuries in the game. It's only if Dier starts in midfield or you play 3 centre halves when can you really justify having Vertonghen in the match day squad.

Sessegnon hasn't made any of the last 3 squads let alone Parrott or Etete. Vertonghen has made all 3. That for me doesn't feel right. Nothing against Vertonghen but I'd rather have an attacking player in there.

As I said before, until Jose is wowed by him on the training pitch, he won't get picked - it's also beginning to sound that Jose doesn't think he's up to much either....

Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho must buck trend and throw in Troy Parrott

Jose Mourinho painted a bleak picture of Tottenham’s prospects after Saturday’s defeat at Chelsea, suggesting that the rest of the season may amount to little more than “very good experience for the future”.

For the Spurs manager, it is increasingly hard to envisage success in the FA Cup and Champions League or a top-four finish, having lost Harry Kane, Heung-min Son and Moussa Sissoko to injury and Christian Eriksen to Inter Milan.

If the situation has a silver lining for Mourinho, no one can blame him if Spurs fail to secure a fifth consecutive season of Champions League football, and the rest of the campaign is therefore something of a free hit and an opportunity for him to alter some of the negative perceptions that have dogged the past few years of his career.

Chief among them is Mourinho’s supposed mistrust of youth and the 57-year-old should use from now until May to show he is prepared to buck the trend.

Japhet Tanganga has already been a huge success story but, even without a recognised centre-forward, Mourinho is continuing to ignore 18-year-old Republic of Ireland striker Troy Parrott, repeatedly insisting he is “not ready”. The word from Mourinho’s camp is that his comments are a challenge to Parrott, who is yet to respond on the training ground. And Mourinho is also said to believe it is very different playing a youngster at centre-forward than at full-back, where Tanganga has always been assisted by an experienced centre-half in Toby Alderweireld or Jan Vertonghen.

But surely Mourinho cannot ignore Parrott indefinitely, with Lucas Moura and Steven Bergwijn very obviously striking stand-ins.

The Irishman has only spent two years in Spurs’ academy and has a lot to learn, but he is highly rated from the boardroom down, and there would seem little to lose in Mourinho including him on the bench, particularly given that Mick McCarthy has shown a willingness to trust him at international level already.

Ryan Sessegnon, 19, is another young player who has struggled for minutes under Mourinho but he was unfortunate not to make the 18 at Stamford Bridge, having to withdraw after feeling tightness in his hamstring in the dressing room.

When he is fit again, Sessegnon would also be worth a gamble in a forward role.

Having scored 15 goals in the Championship as a 16-year-old, he could be a precious source of goals

Personally I think Mourinho is laying down the gauntlet to Parrott BUT I also think it will take a lot for Mourinho to give him a start.

Has anyone actually seen him play ?

I know he's played for Ireland but I didn't see it.

I watched all of our pre-season games plus the Colchester cup game on the box.

In pre-season, what I remember is him having close control, intelligence, passing and movement. Not dissimilar to a Berbatov in his height and build actually. He seemed to get a little lost in the Colchester match though.

Didn't see the Ireland match.

I watched all of our pre-season games plus the Colchester cup game on the box.

In pre-season, what I remember is him having close control, intelligence, passing and movement. Not dissimilar to a Berbatov in his height and build actually. He seemed to get a little lost in the Colchester match though.

Didn't see the Ireland match.

Didn't have much help in the Colchester match from what I remember so hard to judge him off that. Wish we'd give him some minutes

Didn't have much help in the Colchester match from what I remember so hard to judge him off that. Wish we'd give him some minutes

he really didn't impress against them, taken off early in the second half I seem to recall, I think that pretty much ended his claims for first team football under Poch - at least that's the conversation I had at the time with someone there then.

he really didn't impress against them, taken off early in the second half I seem to recall, I think that pretty much ended his claims for first team football under Poch - at least that's the conversation I had at the time with someone there then.

lol - did you have the same conversation about Ndombele last week?

" I can completely understand the frustration over the lack of minutes for Troy Parrott, because in my eyes I can’t see what harm having a striker as an option for 10 minutes or so on the bench does for a team that doesn’t have any.
However, to play devil’s advocate Mourinho has made it pretty clear whenever he’s been asked that it’s about Parrott working harder and not being ready yet.
You would think that if the young Irishman was smashing in the goals in every single training session and wowing everyone then there would be a clamour behind the scenes for Mourinho to include him. His coaches and the players would be beating down his door to give the teenager a shot for the good of the team.
That doesn’t right now appear to be the case. It could well be and hopefully will be the case soon with a very talented young striker..
Some of the rumours circulating are bit too much. He’s just a teenager who is trying to develop in the crazy bubble that is Premier League football, a young guy who is no doubt still adjusting to a very different way of life to the way he grew up in Dublin compared to the life of a well-paid teenager in London.
Tottenham and Mourinho do have high long-term hopes for him. The new three-year deal he signed was to ward off plenty of interest from elsewhere while loan deals were turned down for him, most recently one from Irish side Dundalk.
Mourinho has got Parrott doing special extra training sessions at Hotspur Way to work on his development.
I do find it strange that he’s neither player first team or U23s football, which must mean his match sharpness is non-existent, although being the 19th man at first team games does prevent his involvement in some development squads games.
Ultimate, whether Parrott gets on that pitch in the coming weeks and months is pretty much down to him and what he brings to the table behind the scenes to make his case too loud for Mourinho to ignore".

Alistair Gold.

Within Jose's excellent Norwich press conference there was a couple of little snippets in the Troy conversation.

"We cannot tell you every detail"
"Taking care of a young boy in society, in life, in private life......and that is a process"

He did confirm he also needs to focus on his "football development" but would be on the bench again tomorrow. That's also why he only played 45 mins for U23's.

Within Jose's excellent Norwich press conference there was a couple of little snippets in the Troy conversation.

"We cannot tell you every detail"
"Taking care of a young boy in society, in life, in private life......and that is a process"

He did confirm he also needs to focus on his "football development" but would be on the bench again tomorrow. That's also why he only played 45 mins for U23's.

Rumours abound , no smoke without fire ?

Rumours abound , no smoke without fire ?

Jose should shut his mouth. Protecting him yet every time he speaks he takes a swipe at him. Before now there was no problem but because he is now ready for some game time and because Jose keeps saying he is not ready he is now stuck. If he plays him and Troy is quality then Jose looks a twat . So he is now saying things that have nothing to do with football. No other coach has ever said anything bad about this lad. There has been some players in the past who have strayed but the manager has a word with them and not the press . I find it disgraceful

Jose should shut his mouth. Protecting him yet every time he speaks he takes a swipe at him. Before now there was no problem but because he is now ready for some game time and because Jose keeps saying he is not ready he is now stuck. If he plays him and Troy is quality then Jose looks a twat . So he is now saying things that have nothing to do with football. No other coach has ever said anything bad about this lad. There has been some players in the past who have strayed but the manager has a word with them and not the press . I find it disgraceful

I do agree Jose should keep it in house mate.You being a ex player though I can understand your anger at a manager saying things about a player that should be kept in house.I want to ask you what would would have done.

I do agree Jose should keep it in house mate.You being a ex player though I can understand your anger at a manager saying things about a player that should be kept in house.I want to ask you what would would have done.

Hello mate about time you started posting.
Me I would prove him wrong . Work harder in training stay behind and do more training. What Jose said would really piss me off but you sometimes just have to take it even if you think it is incorrect and unfair. You have to have a tough outer shell to be a pro.