T’Rovers | Page 4 | Vital Football

T’Rovers

I've tasked the wife with getting me a bottle of that Aldi red.

A good performance tonight and thoroughly deserved win. We got stuck in from the off and seemed to play with more energy than recent weeks which set the tempo for us. Blackburn were appalling it has to be said. Surprised they didn't target our left as Naismith was untroubled bar a few errors and bottling a challenge. To his credit he put a couple of decent crosses in that weren't capitalised on.

I thought Vaughan was very good and had one of his best games for us leading the line. James was James. Evans was a vast improvement than Gibson but I thought Morsy was back to his old self and my man of the match tonight. Hopefully we keep this approach up for the next few weeks with some crucial fixtures on the horizon. Such a pity some choose to watch on sky given the effort the players put in. Looking forward to Bolton game, same approach and effort please.

Hoofball up to James Vaughan, to start, made the heart sink.
Nice to see the tactical switch of Nathan Byrne and Gary Roberts paying dividends though. Didn't spot if it was a response to Adam Armstrong swapping sides first or a Wigan tactical swap.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11566338/wigan-3-1-blackburn

Kal Naismaith rated the 2nd best player on whoscored.com... despite being nutmegged.
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1288963/Live/England-Championship-2018-2019-Wigan-Blackburn

Was hoping that the announcement for the Yellow team leader was to tell Blackburn supporters their team was sh1te.... shame.

Mention of a physical Wigan team and anger in the dressing room half time.
2:55 onwards
https://audioboom.com/posts/7101539...burn-manager-tony-mowbray-furious-after-his-s

I've tasked the wife with getting me a bottle of that Aldi red.

Such a pity some choose to watch on sky given the effort the players put in. Looking forward to Bolton game, same approach and effort please.

Possibly 10-25% of our fan base that go to games regularly don't live local, 400+ mile round trips in midweek are not always doable for everyone.

Possibly 10-25% of our fan base that go to games regularly don't live local, 400+ mile round trips in midweek are not always doable for everyone.
I doubt that Vic. I'd hazard a guess that 90% plus of our fans live within 15 miles..... 20 max.

Hoofball up to James Vaughan, to start, made the heart sink.
Nice to see the tactical switch of Nathan Byrne and Gary Roberts paying dividends though. Didn't spot if it was a response to Adam Armstrong swapping sides first or a Wigan tactical swap.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11566338/wigan-3-1-blackburn

Kal Naismaith rated the 2nd best player on whoscored.com... despite being nutmegged.
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1288963/Live/England-Championship-2018-2019-Wigan-Blackburn

Was hoping that the announcement for the Yellow team leader was to tell Blackburn supporters their team was sh1te.... shame.

Mention of a physical Wigan team and anger in the dressing room half time.
2:55 onwards
https://audioboom.com/posts/7101539...burn-manager-tony-mowbray-furious-after-his-s

Doesn't sound a happy man, with good reason.

Interviewer mentioned Vaughan first minute challenge, I couldn't see it over in the east - was it a red, what happened?

Impossible to say moonay, anyone know roughly the difference between midweek and weekend attendances?

great attitude tonight,thought we got stuck in early on,softened them up then started to play them off the pitch!Windass looked like a player tonight and his pairing with Vaughn was our best forward effort since early season! Never gave them a sniff and they didnt like it:surrender: I think we all feel a lot happier tonight!!

Just got home. I’ll always give the opposition credit if they are worthy but honestly Wigan are awful, shows how bad we were tonight. Everytime they had a corner you felt as though they would score.
From the Blackburn forum.

Well tonight was a bit like the beginning of the season where we pressed a high line. The first 20 mins or so was broken up play due to the whistle happy ref who set a precedent with the early booking yet failed to follow his same over eager stance in not sending off their player in the penalty incident. Their goal was totally against the run of play & had the final score been 5/6 - 1 it wouldn't have flattered us. Oh how I hope for a similar display against noblot Saturday......

Surprised they didn't target our left as Naismith was untroubled bar a few errors and bottling a challenge. To his credit he put a couple of decent crosses in that weren't capitalised on.

A half-compliment - I’ve just recoiled in shock.

Never thought I’d see the day, I’m teary-eyed over here. ?

Just wait until Naismith scores an overhead winner at Horwich, he might even earn a “You did ok, pal.”

I remember in the summer transfer window and someone on here was claiming Kasey Palmer was a top signing for them and put all of our signings in the shade. He didn't even get on the pitch last night despite how poor they were.

Screenshot_20181129-063638_Samsung Internet.jpg

First half I thought we looked a bit nervous for about 15 minutes or so. If James Vaughan had committed that foul later on in the half, he may have seen red.

Burn played much better today, more composed and less jittery. I don't know what he was doing for the own goal, he lost ball and man completely, was even facing the wrong way!

Kipre is slowly getting better, this was a mature performance from him.

Naismith played his part well, sent over a few useful looking balls from deep, I'm just worried that he tends to sweep across with his tackling, rather than getting side-on and pinching the ball with his front foot.

Reece James was a bit quiet, but did okay. Same with Walton, most of the shots he faced were pretty much at him, distributed the ball better than I've seen for a good while too.

Morsy and Evans. It was what we all wanted, for the reasons we saw - Evans kept finding pockets of space going forwards, nicked the ball in advanced positions a couple of times and Morsy found him more available for a pass. Sometimes it didn't work, Morsy's 1st touch needs to be better, angled so he can work the space for himself. Obligatory yellow card.

Powell still a way off the pace, but isn't showing signs of pulling up and I'm encouraged by that.

Byrne and Roberts, up until they switched sides, weren't really at the races. Once Cook swapped them over, different story. I like Gary Roberts in that inside forward role, took his goal well.

James Vaughan was my man of the match. He lead the line, linked up well and was a handful. Rodwell in at centre half, it was always going to happen wasn't it? Getting too tight and rolled by JV, before falling over himself.

I'd stick with same XI, with Windass and Macca coming on a bit earlier than they did. We were looking a bit laboured and Blackburn were getting a foothold into the game before the goal. Evans and Morsy are the right balance and what I was impressed with most of all was although Blackburn did have the ball a bit more, they had where we wanted them to - it was a nicely controlled game all round.

Well tonight was a bit like the beginning of the season where we pressed a high line. The first 20 mins or so was broken up play due to the whistle happy ref who set a precedent with the early booking yet failed to follow his same over eager stance in not sending off their player in the penalty incident. Their goal was totally against the run of play & had the final score been 5/6 - 1 it wouldn't have flattered us. Oh how I hope for a similar display against noblot Saturday......
First twenty minutes we were awful. Hoofball to no avail. Byrne and Roberts switched wings and Powell substituted and the game changed. Windass played with much more space than normally and linked up brilliantly with Vaughan.
Two questions if we have any experts or ex refs on here. Firstly why was their mon not sent off when we won the penalty? Secondly how on Gods Earth was their goal allowed to stand? Climbing all over Kipre.
Great to get a win. Someone said the other day 'find three sides worse than us' Well Rovers are one but why did they take Graham off?
Sam Morsy needs to control himself too. Lucky he stayed on for flaying out an elbow.
Doesnt today feel great though. Will be in six finger land later today. Horrible place.

On about this first minute injury don't it make you sick this feigning and trying to cheat the ref. The Blackburn lad had in all purposes passed away....stretcher called for motionless for 3 minutes, de-fib called for then on came the priest to deliver the last rites...then lo and behold he gets up and immediately runs on the field. Hallelujah Lord I have seen the light...it's a miracle.:bow:

Fecking pathetic more like.

Something about a revision to the rules where the awarding of a penalty, of itself obviously doesn’t prevent a clear goal scoring opportunity.
That said I still thought he should have had a yellow (I didn’t think that he saw a card.)......Also not a red if it’s a failed but honest attempt to get the ball, which given it was a push in the back shouldn’t have saved him. Ref may have been sympathetic in that he committed the foul as a direct result of slipping on his arse ?

That’s a rambling and not altogether clear answer but it’s all I’ve got !

Something about a revision to the rules where the awarding of a penalty, of itself obviously doesn’t prevent a clear goal scoring opportunity.
That said I still thought he should have had a yellow (I didn’t think that he saw a card.)......Also not a red if it’s a failed but honest attempt to get the ball, which given it was a push in the back shouldn’t have saved him. Ref may have been sympathetic in that he committed the foul as a direct result of slipping on his arse ?

That’s a rambling and not altogether clear answer but it’s all I’ve got !

There's absolutely no doubt that it should have been a red & I'm baffled by the ref's decision to not only not send him off but to not even give a caution.
The changed guidance is that if a player makes a genuine attempt for the ball in the penalty area but commits a foul that denies an obvious goal scoring opportunity then it is only a caution. However any push or pull is not a genuine attempt for the ball & is therefore a sending off.
In this instance I don't think there's any doubt that Rodwell tripped over his own feet & it wasn't a deliberate rugby tackle but as he was falling he then grabbed out at Windass & pulled him down just as he was about to shoot & was in the 6 yard box.
Ultimately it did nothing to effect the outcome of the game but if it had I suspect that Cook would have been livid

There's absolutely no doubt that it should have been a red & I'm baffled by the ref's decision to not only not send him off but to not even give a caution.
The changed guidance is that if a player makes a genuine attempt for the ball in the penalty area but commits a foul that denies an obvious goal scoring opportunity then it is only a caution. However any push or pull is not a genuine attempt for the ball & is therefore a sending off.
In this instance I don't think there's any doubt that Rodwell tripped over his own feet & it wasn't a deliberate rugby tackle but as he was falling he then grabbed out at Windass & pulled him down just as he was about to shoot & was in the 6 yard box.
Ultimately it did nothing to effect the outcome of the game but if it had I suspect that Cook would have been livid

Actually, just watched it again & I don't think he did pull him down - Rodwell catches Windass's legs as he's falling over & Windass is already falling down by the time Rodwell's arm comes out which I don't think even touches him
Its nearly 2 years since I last reffed so not sure what the guidance is on accidental contact - all I remember is about it having to be a genuine attempt for the ball. That wasn't a genuine attempt but it not being deliberate I don't think should matter as the only offence that mentions intent is handball

Powell still a way off the pace, but isn't showing signs of pulling up and I'm encouraged by that........................

.............with Windass and Macca coming on a bit earlier than they did. ......

I'm puzzled here Soccerates. You did see that Powell went off didn't you?......& it looked like the usual affliction.

I can't see him starting on Saturday, in which case, Windass will probably (& justifiably so after last night) be in the starting line up.

Actually, just watched it again & I don't think he did pull him down - Rodwell catches Windass's legs as he's falling over & Windass is already falling down by the time Rodwell's arm comes out which I don't think even touches him
Its nearly 2 years since I last reffed so not sure what the guidance is on accidental contact - all I remember is about it having to be a genuine attempt for the ball. That wasn't a genuine attempt but it not being deliberate I don't think should matter as the only offence that mentions intent is handball

Apparently accidental fouls that deny goal scoring opportunites should now been punished less severely e.g. yellow card as the award of a penalty effectively restores the goal scoring opportunity.
So if the ref believed the foul was a complete accident caused by Rodwell tripping over himself & knocking over Windass as he fell then he was within his rights to award the penalty & nothing else.
Probably just as well i don;t ref any more!!