Trivia Question | Page 2 | Vital Football

Trivia Question

Sheffield Wednesday was I think the connection they used in Only Connect for the question I asked first, but I didn't use it as I thought it was too obtuse.

The reason is that the original name of Hillsborough was Owlerton Stadium. But the name was changed and then there was then another stadium built nearby, also called Owlerton Stadium, which was used for greyhounds and speedway. Confused? You will be.

Sheffield Wednesday was I think the connection they used in Only Connect for the question I asked first, but I didn't use it as I thought it was too obtuse.

The reason is that the original name of Hillsborough was Owlerton Stadium. But the name was changed and then there was then another stadium built nearby, also called Owlerton Stadium, which was used for greyhounds and speedway. Confused? You will be.
Yes that’s the one

Still the dog track. I've had a few happy drunken evenings there. Speedway still there too. About 10 minutes walk from Hillsborough.

I went to the greyhounds there a couple of times when we moved to Sheffield

I went to the greyhounds there a couple of times when we moved to Sheffield
I remember my dearly departed wife breaking down in tears there one night. She had been telling me how she liked going to the dogs far more than national hunt racing (not that she went too often, more a lads day out that one), because you never see the dogs get hurt. You can guess what happened in the very next race.

I remember my dearly departed wife breaking down in tears there one night. She had been telling me how she liked going to the dogs far more than national hunt racing (not that she went too often, more a lads day out that one), because you never see the dogs get hurt. You can guess what happened in the very next race.

Oh dear, that's bad luck - for the dog as well!!

I only went a couple of times - they were with our mens' club from work (couldn't have that theses days!!). We had a private room with a buffet, next to the betting hall. Both times I won on the first race, and despite losing on just about every other one, won enough to pay for my whole evening. I'm not talking big bucks, mind!!

Another thread wandering way off from the origin!
On the betting thing. Remember going to Market Rasen years back with 2 work colleagues from Barnsley. One of them was a Tunisian fella. We managed to blag our way into the owners area thanks to Farah Ben Farah, who claimed to be a Sheikh looking at whether the course was suitable to run some of his horses. Me and the other lad, despite being a good 6 inches and 3 or 4 stones too big were two of his stable lads. They either fell for it, not realising that jumps isn't really the thing for the Arabs, or thought it was a decent effort and let us in any way.

Brighton & Hove Albion still use two place names in their title, though AFC Bournemouth stopped doing that in 1971 when they changed from Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic.

Which other club joined the football league with a two-place name before dropping the second part of it in 1958?

Last edited: