Trippier not good enough - again.. | Page 3 | Vital Football

Trippier not good enough - again..

Clearly Pep knows very little about football as he was prepared to pay £50m for him, what a mug he must be. By the way, Walker made PL team the previous season when he was with us. Just goes to show how ill informed PL players are.

It just goes to show that dominating the ball can paper over cracks in many teams.

I don't think there are many better wing backs in Europe than Walker, it puzzles me that so many cannot bring themselves to acknowledge this.

I really kicked a hornets nest! Just my honest opinion. I simply feel he is more of a liability than an asset. Yes he has good moments, but for someone with as much experience as he has in the PL, he makes a TON of defensive errors, many of them had me scratching my head. (or while he was in a Spurs kit, pulling my hair out!!)

I mean Aurier is similar in athleticism...and makes many of the same errors...BUT Aurier is new to this league and hopefully will improve by leaps and bounds next season...and maybe he will and maybe he won't...guess we will see. I hope so...

Listen you can't coach athleticism, it is very rare to find it. Teams/coaches/managers gravitate toward athleticism EVERY time, in EVERY sport. Then they HOPE the brains/intelligence either are already there or can be developed.

I have always been counter to this thought process. I would rather find a player that already has quality between his ears and ENOUGH athleticism to get the job done. (because lets be fair this is sport and you need at least some athleticism!!)

I like using Kane as a recent example that happens to be near and dear to all of us. The dude is NOT the best athlete in the world. He isn't the fastest, the biggest, the tallest, the most agile, etc.... What he is...is intelligent and has enough athleticism to get the job done. (and look at the results....)

Failed as a striker , didn't make it in midfield , ended up as a very fast full back with not a lot of full back intelligence .
...Best full backs ? .......
Joe Kinnear and Cyrill Knowles . Both brilliant characters as well......

Sorry Top , I honestly didn't see your post about Joe Kinnear or I would have liked and replied to it . Loved Joe , very solid , very dependable , unflappable . Got on with the job with a smile on his face . Don't think I ever saw him outplayed. Cyril was an all time favourite of mine , almost a legend

Last edited:
First right back I remember was Steve Perryman. Chris Hughton was probably on the other side at LB.

When did you start watching Top? I remember Joe but not well enough to compare him to Danny & Chris.
My first game Rich was in 1967, we had a pretty decent side then. Jennings, Kinnear, Beal, England & Knowles at the back. Mullery & Mackay (Who I had the pleasure of getting drunk with in the Rose & Crown in Edinburgh in the mid nineties). Venners, Gilzean & Greaves. I can't think who players off hand

Sorry Top , I honestly didn't see your post about Joe Kinnear or I would have liked and replied to it . Loved Joe , very solid , very dependable , unflappable . Got on with the job with a smile on his face . Don't think I ever saw him outplayed. Cyril was an all time favourite of mine , almost a legend
Mine too, in those days it was unusual to have full backs with skills. Some of the things Cyril did back then were outrageous

My first game Rich was in 1967, we had a pretty decent side then. Jennings, Kinnear, Beal, England & Knowles at the back. Mullery & Mackay (Who I had the pleasure of getting drunk with in the Rose & Crown in Edinburgh in the mid nineties). Venners, Gilzean & Greaves. I can't think who players off hand

Wow getting drunk with the great Dave MacKay. As you know we won the cup in ‘67 with a goal from Frank Saul, is he the missing name of the 10 already mentioned?